Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2017
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 76
K-1 off camera flash

Hi all,

I'm looking for a somewhat budget friendly(have $300-$400 to play with)off camera lighting solution to start doing some portraiture. HSS is a must and P-TTL capability would be prefered. K-1 does not have a built in transitter so I'm looking at a reciever/light combo. The Cactus V6ii with a RF60x looks promising but I can't find anything that comfirms both HSS and P-TTL capability. If anyone could share their experence or recommend a simular setup it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

05-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,933
QuoteOriginally posted by RoccoStiglitz Quote
The Cactus V6ii with a RF60x looks promising but I can't find anything that comfirms both HSS and P-TTL
Definitely not P-TTL. Not sure 100% about the HSS, the V6II might in some form. Do you really need HSS? That complicates things a lot, without that requirement there are a number of options.

I use the Cactus V6 and RF60 with good success when I am not using studio monolights. But I really prefer manual settings, I do not think I have ever used P-TTL. Maybe once or twice to try.
05-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2017
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Do you really need HSS?
Yes. I really need the ability freeze motion and I've grown used to it using my old system. I don't want to lose the flexibility it offers.
05-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 10,600
QuoteOriginally posted by RoccoStiglitz Quote
The Cactus V6ii with a RF60x looks promising but I can't find anything that comfirms both HSS and P-TTL capability.
HSS is possible with the K-1 + RF60x + V6II; I'm using this combination.

P-TTL, in the sense of automated metering, is not supported yet.

Cactus have announced a free firmware upgrade that will support P-TTL on the V6II. However, it may take months and months till they get round to Pentax as they are first implementing TTL support for Sigma and Sony. Pentax is pretty low down the list of brands so while I'm confident it will come at some point, I wouldn't count on it becoming available in the immediate future.

05-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,341
The Acon supports P-TTL, and claims to have a sync speed up to 1/8000.
05-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2017
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
HSS is possible with the K-1 + RF60x + V6II; I'm using this combination.

P-TTL, in the sense of automated metering, is not supported yet.

Cactus have announced a free firmware upgrade that will support P-TTL on the V6II. However, it may take months and months till they get round to Pentax as they are first implementing TTL support for Sigma and Sony. Pentax is pretty low down the list of brands so while I'm confident it will come at some point, I wouldn't count on it becoming available in the immediate future.
Excellent information. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The Acon supports P-TTL, and claims to have a sync speed up to 1/8000.
I'll check that out. Thanks.

Last edited by RoccoStiglitz; 05-15-2017 at 10:25 PM.
05-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,341
Check out this thread.
05-16-2017, 01:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian
mcgregni's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 2,601
RoccoStiglitz, could you tell us how many off-camera HSS flashes you hope to be using ? Also, am I right to assume that within your budget you also need to buy the flashes themselves, as well as the trigger system?

05-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2017
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Check out this thread.
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
RoccoStiglitz, could you tell us how many off-camera HSS flashes you hope to be using ? Also, am I right to assume that within your budget you also need to buy the flashes themselves, as well as the trigger system?
Just one flash and transmitter for now as thats likely all my budget will allow. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at the Cactus products; radio receiver is built into the speedlight. One less thing I'll need to purchase.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, capability, flash, hss, k-1, k-1 off camera, lighting, p-ttl, photo studio, strobist
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to get into off camera flash, need ideas for a lens/flash combination Sagitta Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 06-25-2012 04:04 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sunpak Auto511 off-camera flash and bracket, Large Quantaray black camera bag pxpaulx Sold Items 3 02-11-2010 09:06 PM
Off - Camera Power Pack for Flash AND Camera? Ari Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 5 10-14-2009 03:54 PM
Mixing off camera manual & on camera p-ttl flash srclark Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 12-29-2008 08:52 AM
Second off camera flash - Pentax flash required Lofty Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 2 04-29-2008 07:29 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top