Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-1 off camera flash

Hi all,

I'm looking for a somewhat budget friendly(have $300-$400 to play with)off camera lighting solution to start doing some portraiture. HSS is a must and P-TTL capability would be prefered. K-1 does not have a built in transitter so I'm looking at a reciever/light combo. The Cactus V6ii with a RF60x looks promising but I can't find anything that comfirms both HSS and P-TTL capability. If anyone could share their experence or recommend a simular setup it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

05-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoccoStiglitz Quote
The Cactus V6ii with a RF60x looks promising but I can't find anything that comfirms both HSS and P-TTL
Definitely not P-TTL. Not sure 100% about the HSS, the V6II might in some form. Do you really need HSS? That complicates things a lot, without that requirement there are a number of options.

I use the Cactus V6 and RF60 with good success when I am not using studio monolights. But I really prefer manual settings, I do not think I have ever used P-TTL. Maybe once or twice to try.
05-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Do you really need HSS?
Yes. I really need the ability freeze motion and I've grown used to it using my old system. I don't want to lose the flexibility it offers.
05-15-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoccoStiglitz Quote
The Cactus V6ii with a RF60x looks promising but I can't find anything that comfirms both HSS and P-TTL capability.
HSS is possible with the K-1 + RF60x + V6II; I'm using this combination.

P-TTL, in the sense of automated metering, is not supported yet.

Cactus have announced a free firmware upgrade that will support P-TTL on the V6II. However, it may take months and months till they get round to Pentax as they are first implementing TTL support for Sigma and Sony. Pentax is pretty low down the list of brands so while I'm confident it will come at some point, I wouldn't count on it becoming available in the immediate future.

05-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The Acon supports P-TTL, and claims to have a sync speed up to 1/8000.
05-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
HSS is possible with the K-1 + RF60x + V6II; I'm using this combination.

P-TTL, in the sense of automated metering, is not supported yet.

Cactus have announced a free firmware upgrade that will support P-TTL on the V6II. However, it may take months and months till they get round to Pentax as they are first implementing TTL support for Sigma and Sony. Pentax is pretty low down the list of brands so while I'm confident it will come at some point, I wouldn't count on it becoming available in the immediate future.
Excellent information. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The Acon supports P-TTL, and claims to have a sync speed up to 1/8000.
I'll check that out. Thanks.

Last edited by RoccoStiglitz; 05-15-2017 at 10:25 PM.
05-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Check out this thread.

05-16-2017, 01:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

RoccoStiglitz, could you tell us how many off-camera HSS flashes you hope to be using ? Also, am I right to assume that within your budget you also need to buy the flashes themselves, as well as the trigger system?
05-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Check out this thread.
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
RoccoStiglitz, could you tell us how many off-camera HSS flashes you hope to be using ? Also, am I right to assume that within your budget you also need to buy the flashes themselves, as well as the trigger system?
Just one flash and transmitter for now as thats likely all my budget will allow. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at the Cactus products; radio receiver is built into the speedlight. One less thing I'll need to purchase.