Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to fire Sigma flash off-camera?

Hey,

I just bought a Sigma EF-530 DG ST (No not the super) and I need
to know how I can fire it off camera (K100D). I don't mind using a wire but
if I can use wireless that is always better.

Thnx

08-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have this flash or camera. So I'm not sure if the camera has a wireless mode. But the best method regardless of flash model or camera model is a set of wireless triggers.

If your shooting is completely controlled and indoors, you can use a cheep method of optical slaves but these have issues with sunlight or other flashes.

There are a number of threads regarding trigger systems but I use the FlashWaves and they are great.

What is the application?
08-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Silos...for stock photos.

Thnx
08-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Silos? I'm not sure I understand the answer. Do you mean you'll be taking shots indoors in controlled light? If so optical slaves will do just fine and are dirt cheap as long as the trigger flash (on your camera) can "see" the slave.

08-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes Silos are photos taken in complete white background.

I'm thinking of these CACTUS wireless flash triggers:
Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: 4-Channel Wireless Flash Trigger V2s
08-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

They will work well also. For outside or location work they are not as reliable as FlashWaves, Alien Bees, PW's and a few others. They will misfire once in awhile. But in a conrolled environment where you can easily take another shot, they are just fine.
08-14-2008, 12:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

NYpHoToGraphEr,

I've fired my Sigma EF-500 DG Super with my K100D as a slave.
I'm not positive, but I believe that you'd be able to do the same with yours

It should say how to in your booklet, however if you need some help please let me know (preferably through PM, so I actually read it) and I'll see if I can assist you.

Oh I got this sort of results with the setup

Just so you know that it works

08-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
I'm thinking of these CACTUS wireless flash triggers:
I have a few of these. Identical except unbranded. The only issue I have with them is that they seem to work quite well as long as the flash's batteries are very fresh. After about 15 or so flashes, they only fire erratically, or not at all.

Mind you, I use rechargeable batteries - which could be the problem. I'm yet to try out single-use batteries.
08-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

try

FlashZebra.com: Using the Sigma EF-DG Super Flash In Manual Mode Off-Camera

its for the super but still may help (or might not

personally buy the trigger, drove me crazy and the $30 odd dollars for the cactus triggers was worth every cent.
08-21-2008, 06:02 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
the std won't do off camera flash

Off camera flash controlled by the pop up is one of the main reasons you pay more for the Sigma Super range of flashes. The others include being able to dial in flash compensation on a body that doesn't offer it, hi speed synch, and having more control in manual modes.

The std range are really designed as more powerful point and shoot type flashes, although you can get by some of the limitations using the K10D and K20D because they have flash compensation and slow shutter synch control through the body.

If you must go with the Sigmas the Supers give you more room to grow.
10-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
I have a few [CACTUS triggers]. Identical except unbranded. The only issue I have with them is that they seem to work quite well as long as the flash's batteries are very fresh. After about 15 or so flashes, they only fire erratically, or not at all.

Mind you, I use rechargeable batteries - which could be the problem. I'm yet to try out single-use batteries.
I HAVE BEEN MEANING TO UPDATE ON THIS:
It was indeed because I was using cheap rechargeable batteries in my flashes that the generic triggers misfired. I've since been using other batteries with no issues; the triggers have been firing consistently.
10-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcdsgn Quote
I HAVE BEEN MEANING TO UPDATE ON THIS:
It was indeed because I was using cheap rechargeable batteries in my flashes that the generic triggers misfired. I've since been using other batteries with no issues; the triggers have been firing consistently.
I've got the Cactus triggers too and almost threw them against a wall after they failed me at a wedding. I now think I have identified the issue with their reliability - maybe...

If I try to use them right after turning the receivers on they tend to misfire pretty badly. But, if I wait 5-10min after turning them on before I start shooting I get no misfires at all. I figure they're cheap inside and out, which means the capacitors are cheap too, and my theory is that the capacitors just take a while to "warm up".

I'll still be upgrading my triggers to either the CyberSyncs or FlashWaves when I feel I can justify the cost; but at least the primal urge to smash the Cacti to tiny bits has subsided.
10-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #13

I'm pleased they don't quite live up to their name.

(In Oz, "cactus" is slang for "broken")