Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Get yourself a black fabric window screen repair kit from your local Home Depot. Window screens absorb quite a bit of light, and work great as an ND filter on the light source. If you are really ambitious, you can buy the parts required to make a frame, and custom build ND filters for your lights. Do make sure they have some distance from the modeling lights, they will create quite a bit of heat if there isn't ventilation around them.
I never would have thought of using window screen material for that purpose. But it seems like it would not have as much of a diffuser effect, spreading the light around so much, like a solid material might. I'll have to check that out.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 05-26-2017 at 05:33 PM.
05-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I never would have thought of using window screen material for that purpose. But it seems like it would not have as much of a diffuser effect, spreading the light around so much, like a solid material might. I'll have to check that out.
If you go to the hardware store to get this screen, bring a camera or a light meter. You can get an estimate of how much light attenuation you'll get by comparing the metered exposure with and without a bit of screen in front your lens.
05-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

If anything, black window screen has a very slight directional effect. I don't know how much light it sucks up, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a third of a stop.
05-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you considered a constant light? I've had a great experience with RPS Studio/DotLine 50W adjustable power CooLed. Even the 20W (which I use as both a background and hair-light) would work for your product shots. RPS lights might be discontinued now, not sure, but similar accurate color studio lights are available at relatively low prices if they are.

05-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Have you considered a constant light? I've had a great experience with RPS Studio/DotLine 50W adjustable power CooLed. Even the 20W (which I use as both a background and hair-light) would work for your product shots. RPS lights might be discontinued now, not sure, but similar accurate color studio lights are available at relatively low prices if they are.
I shoot at small apertures for more DOF, so using constant light would require me to raise my ISO level and/or use a tripod, neither of which I want to do. I would also have to be working in a dark room in order to not contaminate the scene lighting, and that would not be very convenient.
05-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #21
Forum Member

Honeycomb

Trying the paper with a honeycomb in front of it might make the difference. Might require multiple honeycombs layered if they aren't deep enough. (I think my honeycomb for my flash was €5.95)

I've tried to use paper before to curtail light output, but in my experience it diffused the light, spreading it out more than I wanted.
06-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If you go to the hardware store to get this screen, bring a camera or a light meter. You can get an estimate of how much light attenuation you'll get by comparing the metered exposure with and without a bit of screen in front your lens.
I just measured one. Give or take a bit, a single layer of black mesh window screen cuts about 1/3 stop of light.

06-05-2017, 05:50 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I just measured one. Give or take a bit, a single layer of black mesh window screen cuts about 1/3 stop of light.
That makes sense. Window screen is typically designed to only block bugs, not light or air. A screen in which the wire or thread diameter is 1/10 the spacing between the strands would let 81% of the light through which about 1/3 of a stop.

I wonder if it's possible to get a large enough piece of "Solar Shades" material which is screen material designed to block most light whilst still providing a clear view. It seems to come in a range of openness from 3% (-5 stops) to 15% (-2.7 stops). Perhaps a local window blinds shop might have a sample or be willing to give you a chunk from a defective/incorrect window shade.
06-05-2017, 06:44 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Could also try some of the perforated one-way window film like used at stores/restaurants if you're really trying to cut light. It comes as a 50/50 and 60/40 ratio of solid area to holes, and the back is typically black. Should be able to pick up small scraps at a local digital sign shop. No idea how it might work but I'll probably try it out myself later just for giggles so see what it does. Maybe at least useful as a gobo?