Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash Combination With Cactus V5

Are these setups functional/compatible?

Setup 1: Cactus V5 transceiver on Pentax K-3Ii, and Cactus V5 transceivers on 3 off camera Pentax AF360FGZs. Will everything fire correctly?

Setup 2: Same as above, but with an off camera Yongnuo YN560IV with a Cactus V5 attached to it accompanying the three AF360FGZ units that also have the V5 transceivers attached. Will everything fire correctly?

These are compatibility scenarios I would like to confirm. The Cactus site refers to the AF360FGZ as compatible, but it only lists up to the Yongnuo YN560II model compatibility possibly due to the age of the listing (not updated to list the IV model yet).

06-01-2017, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are single pin manual triggers, all they do is signal fire. Not much that can go wrong as long as you keep the sync speed below max.

I have used Cactus v5 for years on a wide variety of of flashes and strobes. Never had a problem.
06-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
These are single pin manual triggers, all they do is signal fire. Not much that can go wrong as long as you keep the sync speed below max.

I have used Cactus v5 for years on a wide variety of of flashes and strobes. Never had a problem.
Thank you for the informative advice.
06-02-2017, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are most welcome. If you have not already bought into the Cactus v5 triggers consider the newer v6. These allow adjusting the flash power from the camera on some (most) flashes. Check the website first to make sure all of the flashes you want to use are on the list. Note that practically any flash will fire, just some are not compatible with adjusting power from the camera.

There is also now a Cactus v6II model which does the same as the v6 but also allows HSS on at least some models of flash.

I still use v5's as they are all I need but if you have a need for some of the newer features, something to consider.

06-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I purchased 4 (two sets of 2) Cactus V5 transceivers today to use with my K-3II and the 3 AF360FGZ flashes that I have. I figured that would be a nice setup, and in the future if I happen to use strobes, the transceivers would be handy also. Since the K-3II does not have the built in flash, the transceivers will enable me to have all 3 of my AF360FGZs off camera to position as I desire to. I asked Adorama customer service if the V5 was compatible with the YN560IV in case I want more off camera flash power, and she told me yes as long as the flash has a V5 on it.

I am like you, I just want the transceivers for their firing ability. I don't need to be able to adjust the flash power from the camera. I usually have my camera and flashes in Manual mode and go from there with the settings, and I don't mind adjusting them that way.

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-02-2017 at 05:16 PM.