Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Flash modifiers - anyone try the Lastolite Ezybox Speedlight 2.

I have a collection of larger modifiers, mostly umbrellas (silver, white and shoot-through) but also Sto-Fens (white, orange and blue). I'd like to add a small modifier to my kit that can be used on and off camera - indoors and outdoors. Tried the Flashbender and the Fong Dong and wasn't impressed with either. The Fong is heavy and only works well inside when you have walls and a ceiling to bounce light off of. The Flashbender was ok but didn't give me much more than a home made black & white foaming thing (aka BWFT). The BWFT is made by sticking two sheets of 8.5" x 11" craft foam together and attaching it to the flash with a Velcro strap. One side acts as as large bounce card the other for shaping light direction. A BWFT only costs $3 to make and the Flashbender costs a lot more.

I'm Considering the small Lastolite Speedlight 2 soft box for indoor and outdoor events. Has anyone tried this mod for inside and outside portraits? What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 06-03-2017 at 02:58 AM.
06-03-2017, 03:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi:

I have two Lastolite Ezyboxes--with both I use my Metz speedlites. One is 24x24 and the other is 8x8 (I think 8.6x8.6). I also own the Hilite 6x7 background.

Lastolite is a very good brand and value. A touch expensive, but I have owned the Ezyboxes and Hilite for several years and they have stood up very well. The Hilite is great to work with. I take pictures as a hobby. So, I do not put my equipment through harsh use, but all my gear still takes the typical use, bangs, and knocks as most others, though, I do my best to treat everything as carefully as I can.

I really like the Ezyboxes. They set up well, quickly, and are easy to use. There is of course a limit as to how soft the light can get with a very small softbox, but I really like using the Ezyboxes and are they very worthwhile. They set up easily and store flat in a really nice case. The smaller one easily fits in a front pocket of my Lowe Pro bag (it's a large backpack). The 24x24 is too big for a backpack, but stores and travels very easily.

Over the years we all accumulate "stuff," but i consider the Ezyboxes, and especially the Hilite, as some of my best purchases.

I typically have used the smaller Ezybox for indoor portraits, triggered with a CyberCync. I place the smaller Ezybox on the end of a small light stand or extension arm which I hold by hand and use my other hand to shoot. I have shot musicians in bars and nightclubs with the smaller Ezybox. I have found this is much less intrusive and bothersome than a bare flash. I used to think flash would not be permitted, but I am pretty quick with shooting and the local musicians have really liked the images. For the 24x24 I use a small light stand and take it with me when I want a softbox on location and do not want to bring larger lighting gear and a portable power supply.

Any other questions, let me know.

Good luck.

Last edited by candgpics; 06-03-2017 at 03:23 AM.
06-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

I am quite pleased with the Lumiquest ProMax Ultrasoft diffuser, which is held onto an upward-pointing head with velcro. It's very quick to put on and take off and folds down compactly to fairly flat, fits in front pocket of my bag.
06-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by candgpics Quote
Hi:

I have two Lastolite Ezyboxes--with both I use my Metz speedlites. One is 24x24 and the other is 8x8 (I think 8.6x8.6). I also own the Hilite 6x7 background.

Lastolite is a very good brand and value. A touch expensive, but I have owned the Ezyboxes and Hilite for several years and they have stood up very well. The Hilite is great to work with. I take pictures as a hobby. So, I do not put my equipment through harsh use, but all my gear still takes the typical use, bangs, and knocks as most others, though, I do my best to treat everything as carefully as I can.

I really like the Ezyboxes. They set up well, quickly, and are easy to use. There is of course a limit as to how soft the light can get with a very small softbox, but I really like using the Ezyboxes and are they very worthwhile. They set up easily and store flat in a really nice case. The smaller one easily fits in a front pocket of my Lowe Pro bag (it's a large backpack). The 24x24 is too big for a backpack, but stores and travels very easily.

Over the years we all accumulate "stuff," but i consider the Ezyboxes, and especially the Hilite, as some of my best purchases.

I typically have used the smaller Ezybox for indoor portraits, triggered with a CyberCync. I place the smaller Ezybox on the end of a small light stand or extension arm which I hold by hand and use my other hand to shoot. I have shot musicians in bars and nightclubs with the smaller Ezybox. I have found this is much less intrusive and bothersome than a bare flash. I used to think flash would not be permitted, but I am pretty quick with shooting and the local musicians have really liked the images. For the 24x24 I use a small light stand and take it with me when I want a softbox on location and do not want to bring larger lighting gear and a portable power supply.

Any other questions, let me know.

Good luck.
Thanks. I picked up the Lastolite Ezybox Speedlight 2 this afternoon and will use it with a Cactus RF60 flash and V6 Radio Trigger. I took a handgrip from a Rotolight Kit and attached a cold shoe to mount the flash and small Ezybox. Will try it hand-held as you do and my have my amazing wife hold it as a voice activated human light stand (more maneuverable than my Manfrotto light stands):-)

The Ezybox is a great piece of well built kit. The dial to lock the Ezybox 2 onto the flash is the best mechanism I have seen for a simple and solid mount.

06-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds good. I think you will like it. Very well built and portable.
06-05-2017, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would stick with the Foamie. It's all about the size of the light source. The foamie will give you the same size as the Lastolite. I tested a ton of things DIY and otherwise. It's just strictly size and ease of use. There is no magic modifier for on camera flash.