Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

off-camera flash

Basic lighting question...I want to use an off-camera flash on a lightstand to add a little kick to outdoor portraits. I think I have most of what I need, but I need some help with set-up. I believe I need an umbrella bracket with a hot shoe, right? Will any of them work with a Pentax flash, or will I also need to buy an adapter? I could use suggestions on a type or brand of bracket.
I have an extra light stand, a couple of Pentax flashes (an old AF220T--which I'd prefer to use if I can in case of an accidental drop--and a 360FGZ) and I have a transmitter and receiver. Do I need anything else? How do I put it all together and get it working? I have a K10D and a K20D. Thank you!!!

Last edited by clickit; 08-15-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added info
08-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try holding the flash by hand?

Video 1. Video 2.

You can get results like this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/33158-party-time-massive...e-nws-too.html
08-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickit Quote
Basic lighting question...I want to use an off-camera flash on a lightstand to add a little kick to outdoor portraits. I think I have most of what I need, but I need some help with set-up. I believe I need an umbrella bracket with a hot shoe, right? Will any of them work with a Pentax flash, or will I also need to buy an adapter? I could use suggestions on a type or brand of bracket.
I have an extra light stand, a couple of Pentax flashes (an old AF220T--which I'd prefer to use if I can in case of an accidental drop--and a 360FGZ) and I have a transmitter and receiver. Do I need anything else? How do I put it all together and get it working? I have a K10D and a K20D. Thank you!!!
Hiya,

Start here: Strobist: Lighting 101

Umbrella swivels:
LumoPro LP632 Umbrella Swivel
or
LumoPro LP679 Umbrella Swivel

I've bought several items from MPEX and they're good in my book. You kind of need to know what you're looking for on their site (they ain't no Amazon ) but decent prices and good selection. Only downside is they don't carry Pentax.
08-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you. I did go to the strobist blog, and from the video tutorial, it looks as though I still might need something that I can't put my finger on. I ordered a Photogenic shoe mount multiclamp. OK, so the flash attaches to the bracket, and the bracket attaches to the light stand. There's still something missing. How does the radio-triggered receiver attach to the flash? Do I need another adapter for a PC sync cord to plug into?

08-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Depends on the flashes and remote triggers you have. Some receivers have a hot shoe, some don't. Some flashes have a PC sync socket, some don't. You may only need a PC sync cord if the flashes have a PC socket. Or if the flash(es) don't not have PC sync socket then you may need Hot-Shoe to PC Connector (for example, there are tons of them out there). If the receivers have hot shoes then you're pretty much all set, minus the umbrella swivels.
08-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #6

Im thinking of purchasing the pocket wizard plus 2 kit to use with my pentax 360fgz which does not have a pc socket. Im aware i need to get a hotshoe to pc connector, but some ive seen have a wire and some dont just a socket. I so confused, which do i need?