Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

YONGNUO YN585EX Wireless Camera Flash

Any thoughts on this flash? I ordered this yesterday for $60 and the reviews seem quite positive - Going to use it on my K-1 and based on what I have read it seems like a competent flash - Certainly not expecting the moon here for the price. Any feedback will be much appreciated

06-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #2

I have it. It is a great value. Solid pttl flash for under 100. I paid 80 for mine so you got an even better value.
06-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sumitkar1971 Quote
Any thoughts on this flash? I ordered this yesterday for $60 and the reviews seem quite positive - Going to use it on my K-1 and based on what I have read it seems like a competent flash - Certainly not expecting the moon here for the price. Any feedback will be much appreciated
Just got one for $54 on Ebay from a guy purchased in a Store closing New in a box. Haven't used it much; but already got $55 worth out of it. Slave works. Used at my Grand Babies first Birthday Bounced with catch lite panel extended one stop under exposed. All in All so far heck of a deal. I plan on using it this summer as a slave catching Humming Birds at a feeder and in flower pots. Attached birthday photo still getting some shadow and 1 stop - fixed in PP. The room was very large so I don't know for sure if under exposer was flashes fault or not.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-20-2017 at 04:24 PM.
06-07-2017, 01:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello

I have one (one week old) and it is everything it says in the tin.

Tested on camera and off camera PTTL and Manual (S1 and S2) and works like a charm… for PTTL off camera I just managed to test it with the commander option of my Kx flash and triggers perfectly (I have no other PTTL flashes to test the Pentax “wireless” system).

Two pieces of advice:

1 – upgrade the firmware – probably it will come with version 11 and the actual is 16:
«2017/1/8 Ver.1616
Optimize: Accuracy of exposure in TTL mode.
Improvement: focal length changing problem of when turning on red eye reduction and FEB at the same time.»

2 – be careful with tightening it to the camera, do not force too much… I think I have done it a bit originally and it loses some contacts with the pins (Kx and K-S2 cameras), making the K-S2 (per example) shoot, the flash trigger but no synchrony, so the flash as no impact in the photo.

Best regards,

07-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
1 – upgrade the firmware – probably it will come with version 11 and the actual is 16:
«2017/1/8 Ver.1616
Optimize: Accuracy of exposure in TTL mode.
Improvement: focal length changing problem of when turning on red eye reduction and FEB at the same time.»
Where can you get the firmware and how do you upgrade?

Obrigado!
07-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hello

You can download the firmware and the program that uploads it into the flash (from a windows PC) from the yongnuo own website: http://www.hk .com/e-etaily.php?ID=384.

The instructions to do the upgrade are in page 19th of the user manual that comes with the flash and the text is:
«17.Firmware Upgrade
YN585EX is equipped with USB port. You can visit YONGNUO official website (www.hkyongnuo.com) and download the latest update software and firmware to upgrade the speedlite.
(1) Connect the speedlite to the computer through USB-MINB connecting cable;
(2) Keep pressing and holding [MODE] button, and then press [ON/OFF] button to start and enter the upgrade interface;
(3) Open the update software from the computer and update the speedlite according to the reminder.»
Note: the usb port in the flash is a mini usb (not a micro usb like the ones in the smartphones), thus one as to find one.

Also it was kind of you to use the Portuguese word “obrigado” (thank you).

Obrigado for you too,
07-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

With the firmware upgrade it looks like the YN585EX is the flash to go for. I have been using my old Nikon SB-24 and SB-28 flashes in AUTO mode (which works great BTW) but be good to have full P-TTL again.

I can't really speak Portuguese but I picked up a few Portuguese phrases from my short time in Mozambique. Great place to visit!

Obrigado pelo conselho

Last edited by Theov39; 07-22-2017 at 08:59 PM.
08-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Came across the YONGNUO YN585EX Wireless Camera Flash about six weeks ago on Amazon. The reviews were good, and with the 30 days return policy, I ordered it. It is a very good flash. I have not tried the wireless capability (reviews say it works well), but the P-TTL communication with my camera (K3) does great. For the $76 it cost me, I am very satisfied.
08-12-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #9

Yn585es

Just got mine last week for $79 and it works great on my K3. Planning to get one more with proper trigger kit (once I am sure of which one to order). For certain shooting situations, it will be nice to have a light source on each side of my subject(s). With 4 good lithium, AA batteries, it fires quickly and works beautifully every time. Great value and option for Pentax!
09-22-2018, 12:41 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please help! My 585 worked so fine with my K-5 and it made a great job during a wedding, but since I try to use it with my beloved K-1 the P-TTL stopped working!
So I'm using it in M mode but it's uncomfortable...
I also tried to get the latest firmware version but the site yongnuohk.com is chinese and so it's impossible for me...
:-(
09-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Relating the not working with the K1 part, I cannot help you as I do not have the K1.

Relating the firmware, here is the webpage in English: Yongnuo Photographic Equiment Co., Ltd (the one I have posted in post #7 above does not work anymore).

Best regards,
10-21-2018, 01:21 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
Relating the not working with the K1 part, I cannot help you as I do not have the K1.

Relating the firmware, here is the webpage in English: Yongnuo Photographic Equiment Co., Ltd (the one I have posted in post #7 above does not work anymore).

Best regards,

Thank you!

10-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian

You are welcom.
10-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #14

Ok... I've downloaded the latest Firmware... But it runs only by Windows! Is there any Mac user doing this? Thank you...
10-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by elioloba Quote
Ok... I've downloaded the latest Firmware... But it runs only by Windows! Is there any Mac user doing this? Thank you...
You can use a Windows virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox) or Boot Camp to run Windows, and it should work. The problem is you still need a Windows license, or you have to live with a free developer virtual machine that's only good for 90 days. (I never had luck getting the USB connection to work properly with VirtualBox and a free VM, but some folks have gotten it to work. I tend to just boot into Windows 10 using Boot Camp).

Using a virtual machine or Boot Camp partition, though, is basically a full Windows installation, so it takes a lot of space and may not run that fast on top of OSX.

I don't think that WineBottler will work, since these firmware updating apps tend to require a custom USB driver, which WINE can't handle.