Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2018, 09:18 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
You can use a Windows virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox) or Boot Camp to run Windows, and it should work. The problem is you still need a Windows license, or you have to live with a free developer virtual machine that's only good for 90 days. (I never had luck getting the USB connection to work properly with VirtualBox and a free VM, but some folks have gotten it to work. I tend to just boot into Windows 10 using Boot Camp).

Using a virtual machine or Boot Camp partition, though, is basically a full Windows installation, so it takes a lot of space and may not run that fast on top of OSX.

I don't think that WineBottler will work, since these firmware updating apps tend to require a custom USB driver, which WINE can't handle.

Great! Thanks a lot...

10-28-2018, 04:04 AM   #17

Hi all, looking to get this same flash model for portrait and still life shots, so mostly used off camera. Also, I’m looking to experiment with it on automotive shoots (hopefully it will be powerful enough, combined with a Godox octabox). Not sure I understood if it is going to work with the built in Pentax wireless triggering system (I shoot with a K1) or if I have to get a dedicated trigger/receiver for it (in such case, which one?). Any infos much appreciated.
10-28-2018, 06:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Your camera does not have a built in wireless triggering system, because it does not have a built in flash. K1 users need an accessory flash on the camera, or radio trigger system for wireless flash operations.

There is a detailed coverage of the available off camera triggering technologies in the Supplement to my "Pentax Flash Guide", downloadable from the link in the Signature below, or from the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

Last edited by mcgregni; 10-28-2018 at 06:51 AM.
10-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #19

I’ll check that out. Many thanx

10-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #20

Ok... I'm just getting angry! The Yongnuo site offer the Firmware file and also the Updating software in Win and MacOs version...
So Downloaded it and followed the instructions! Result: "reading file fail" - this is the message from Terminal! I tried to download the firmware again but with the same result! Damn...
10-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by elioloba Quote
Ok... I'm just getting angry! The Yongnuo site offer the Firmware file and also the Updating software in Win and MacOs version...
So Downloaded it and followed the instructions! Result: "reading file fail" - this is the message from Terminal! I tried to download the firmware again but with the same result! Damn...
Are there any Chinese characters in the file/folder names? That sometimes happens with Godox firmware update files, and can really screw things up. Removing the Chinese characters can fix the problem.

The other troubleshooting thing to try is swapping USB cables. Some micro USB cables only have the power lines for charging a device, and don't transfer data, so swapping cables can sometimes help.
10-31-2018, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just had an epiphany moment

I may be a 30 year novice but one thing is clear now; I should've put that $79 I wasted on the YN585EX and upgraded my AF201FG with another genuine Pentax flash like a AF360FGZ or something;(upgrade is not really an accurate statement because the AF201 does what it's supposed to).

YN585EX pictures all of a sudden are coming out black; AF201 works fine. I was also having issues trying to upgrade firmware at Yongnuo. I'm with elioloba. I guess it's $79 for a reason....

From here on out it's Pentax or bust. I don't even want that other trash near my camera. Live and learn....

Last edited by brightseal; 10-31-2018 at 12:36 PM.
10-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
From here on out it's Pentax or bust. I don't even want that other trash near my camera. Live and learn....
Sorry to hear of your problems with the YN585EX. You might find the Godox system a viable alternative. The Godox TT350 is the first model that has on-camera and off-camera PTTL; expectations are that more Godox models will be released with these features, as they have been for other systems (e.g. a PTTL version of the more powerful TT685). The TT350P is about one-quarter the price of a Pentax AF 360 FGZ-II. It has similar power, but is smaller and lighter. It has built in wireless to control or be controlled by other Godox units (it can also be controlled by the new Godox XPro-P transmitter). It has on-camera or off-camera HSS and rear curtain sync, a bunch of other features and a good layout. The head tilts and swivels. It runs on two AA batteries (the Pentax uses 4) so recycle time is slower and batteries need replacing sooner, but if those limitations don't matter too much about the only thing it lacks, compared to the Pentax, is WR. Godox doesn't have the same level support, but it has a large user base (so lots of information) and for the price it's brilliant.

If you are done with Chinese manufacturers, the Metz units are a high-quality alternative to the Pentax ones. Expect to see a lot of Pentax and Metz PTTL flashes for sale in the next year with the rush to the Godox system so there will be bargains to be had. :-)

Last edited by Des; 10-31-2018 at 03:06 PM.
10-31-2018, 04:06 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
If you are done with Chinese manufacturers, the Metz units are a high-quality alternative to the Pentax ones. Expect to see a lot of Pentax and Metz PTTL flashes for sale in the next year with the rush to the Godox system so there will be bargains to be had. :-)
I thought everything was made in China. but seriously, maybe after the mad rush I'll catch a break on a Pentax flash? Probably not but I can always hope.
I'm probably done with the Chinese brand names.

Thanks for the info.
10-31-2018, 05:19 PM   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought everything was made in China.
Yes, but some of them are designed in Germany or Japan. ;-)

Your YN should at least still work as an optical slave with manual settings shouldn't it?
10-31-2018, 06:52 PM   #26
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by elioloba Quote
I have updated the firmware on my flash, YN568EX, without issue. I rarely use it, but it works just fine. I wish Yougnuo would update their YN560-TX or the flash body to work together.
10-31-2018, 08:01 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your YN should at least still work as an optical slave with manual settings shouldn't it?
I don't know, I rarely used it. I couldn't figure out how to set it up to use optically. Oh wait, I can't use it optically on the K3II because no built in flash and my other flashes are AF201FG and legacy flashes. I tried to use the YN585EX today but all the pics were coming out black, I threw it in the trash, took it out of the trash, put it back in the box, put it in the drawer.
10-31-2018, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #28
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know, I rarely used it. I couldn't figure out how to set it up to use optically. Oh wait, I can't use it optically on the K3II because no built in flash and my other flashes are AF201FG and legacy flashes. I tried to use the YN585EX today but all the pics were coming out black, I threw it in the trash, took it out of the trash, put it back in the box, put it in the drawer.
If you leave it in the drawer it will sit there like an evil talisman. Your choices: (a) Set it to slave mode and use the AF201FG to trigger it off camera. (b) Sell it and cut your losses. (c) Give it away - at least you get some good karma.

Last edited by Des; 10-31-2018 at 10:10 PM.
10-31-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AF201FG
AF201FG doesn't have wireless capability. No slave or controller functions. No IR light.
Hopefully the black pics I'm getting with the YN are just a user error otherwise if it's defective I can't sell it.
I'm prone to giving stuff away so that's possible.
I'll figure it out...
11-01-2018, 04:05 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by inkista Quote
Are there any Chinese characters in the file/folder names? That sometimes happens with Godox firmware update files, and can really screw things up. Removing the Chinese characters can fix the problem.

The other troubleshooting thing to try is swapping USB cables. Some micro USB cables only have the power lines for charging a device, and don't transfer data, so swapping cables can sometimes help.

Ok. Thank you... there are no Chinese characters but it’s possible the cable is unable to transfer data!
Thank you again:-)