Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here I am (again)... No way at all! Even with a new usb data cable... the response is:

Attached Images

11-10-2018, 12:09 AM - 2 Likes   #32

Ok, it's done!!! :-D
I tried to change position of files in my Mac and it worked!
Attached Images

12-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #33

Ok so I got one. It works off camera in manual mode with a set of cheap triggers. I haven’t figured out if there’s a way to have it working off camera in P-TTL mode. Is getting a genuine Pentax flash to be used as master the only way?
12-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #34

Maybe the new Godox X-pro trigger Pentax version is compatible with 585...

12-31-2018, 11:28 PM   #35
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elioloba Quote
Maybe the new Godox X-pro trigger Pentax version is compatible with 585...
No it only talks to Godox strobes.
01-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
No it only talks to Godox strobes.
So, outta luck...
01-01-2019, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

It's the Cactus V6II triggers , or the Acon, that provide Radio P-TTL for Pentax dedicated system flashes (eg Pentax, Metz, Sigma etc). It's always worth checking that each specific flash is compatible before getting the triggers. I believe we have heard here that the Yongnuo P-TTL model is compatible with the V6IIs ....?

Really nowadays, this sort of thing is for those who already have dedicated system flashes, perhaps using them on camera, and want to get some extra versatility from what they already own ..... For those starting out and specifically needing off camera P-TTL and who need to buy the flashes as well as triggers, then I think they should look to an all-Cactus or all-Godox package.

02-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Been lurking for a while but finally have a question that seems related enough to this thread to ask here instead of starting a new one.

The specs for this flash say it can be a slave to the Pentax AF540FGZ II. I picked up an AF540FGZ used from one of the rental places in great condition at a deep discount last spring and am interested in using it to trigger the YN585EX as a slave, since I have a K-70 and can't trigger my AF540FGZ wirelessly. I guess my thinking is that having two flashes and using the AF540FGZ on-camera and the YN585EX off-camera as a slave is probably more versatile than getting a receiver/transmitter setup to be able to use the AF540FGZ and similar in price to RX/TX combo. But if there's something about the AF540FGZ II that allows it to trigger the YN585EX but that is lacking in the older model I have, then I guess I'll have to go back to rethink things.
02-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #39
Veteran Member

As far as is known around here, the wireless functions on both the older and newer AF-540FGZ types are identical. It is only the controls and interface aspects that changed.
02-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Thanks! That's how I had interpreted things I'd read here and on your fabulous guides, but being pretty new to the flash side of things, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask in case I'd missed something.
02-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
If you leave it in the drawer it will sit there like an evil talisman
FWIW the IKEA rechargeable batteries were to blame....
02-13-2019, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #42
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
FWIW the IKEA rechargeable batteries were to blame....
Well good to hear you got a clear solution to the problem anyway. And hopefully the YN 585 is out of the drawer and back in use!
04-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Forgive me for asking an idiotic question. I've never used TTL during my film days. 585EX is my first TTL flash. I've used it in aperture priority and it seems fine. However at times I'd get slow shutter speed which I don't like. Can anyone tell me what's the best way of using PTTL? Do I only use the green mode or P mode to have good results? I've tried setting the flash on PTTL and use manual mode. The results were not good.
04-07-2019, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I've tried setting the flash on PTTL and use manual mode. The results were not good.
What wasn't good about the results?

Did you do your part with respect to controlling the ambient exposure through the manual camera controls?
The green button can be very helpful in this regards (e.g., select ISO and an aperture and let the camera decide on the shutter speed).

I'm asking because having the camera in "M" mode and the flash in P-TTL mode is the recommended approach. Otherwise, you'll have the camera assume what you are trying to achieve and hence get the slow shutter speed scenario you mentioned, etc.

AFAIC, you have the most control and achieve the best possible consistency when using the camera in "M" mode and use manual power control with the flash. However, letting the flash determine its power level on its own (in conjunction with the camera), should give you usable results. You should expect to use flash exposure compensation (on the flash or in the camera menu), though, to season the flash output to taste.

P-TTL is an ancient flash system that is in dire need of an upgrade to become a fully useful automatic exposure support system (in particular when multiple flashes are involved) and you cannot expect it to produce a good result in all situations.

Depending on the camera you use (e.g., K-5 (II)), you'll have to deal with some P-TTL bugs/shortcomings that will guarantee that flash exposure will be off in particular situations. Try whether you see any difference between bounce versus non-bounce scenarios and also make sure you don't exceed the power range of the flash. If you are too close to a subject, the flash may not be able to further reduce its power. If the flash is maxed out, you'll get underexposure in certain situations (subject too far away or bounce distance too large). It's one of the disadvantages of P-TTL that you don't see whether the flash is operating at its limit.
04-07-2019, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

When combined with good user knowledge and some experience, the ancient P-TTL system can produce excellent consistency and reliable results. ... But of course, I agree with ClassA that we need to understand and work within its liimitations.

Thanks to the Cactus XTTL system I now enjoy this excellent consistency and reliable fine control even with multiple off camera flashes in P-TTL mode.

I also mostly use M camera mode combined with P-TTL in order to gain the needed control over ambient and flash exposure levels.