Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aleighn8 Quote
And that would be the Sigma 610 Super, correct?
Yes. Only the EF 610 Super does HSS. The standard EF-610 lacks HSS and a few other bells and whistles.

06-09-2017, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
None of the other flashes offer the weather resistance of the new Pentaxes.
If you put umbrellas on them you should be fine
06-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

That Rogue Flash Bender is a great idea! I think it will be really handy and will add one to my cart. Thanks for the suggestions!
I have one and it works pretty well. My flash swivel is a little weak so the weight is a little much for my flash when I'm moving around but it's great when I set it up on a stand.

I found a smaller, lighter one on eBay that works great for less than $10. (Search for "flash reflector smal", with only one L in small) Being smaller it won't soften the light quite as much as the large one, but it's good enough for what I do and a good way to try the concept before you spend more on the Rogue.

---------- Post added 06-10-17 at 10:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
When I first read that I thought 'how would you use a flash umbrella on camera without blocking the lens or viewfinder?' I had a mental image of a ridiculous setup with a flash umbrella sticking out over a guys shoulder, but then I realized you were talking about rain umbrellas. 😃
06-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I have one and it works pretty well. My flash swivel is a little weak so the weight is a little much for my flash when I'm moving around but it's great when I set it up on a stand.

I found a smaller, lighter one on eBay that works great for less than $10. (Search for "flash reflector smal", with only one L in small) Being smaller it won't soften the light quite as much as the large one, but it's good enough for what I do and a good way to try the concept before you spend more on the Rogue.

---------- Post added 06-10-17 at 10:30 AM ----------

When I first read that I thought 'how would you use a flash umbrella on camera without blocking the lens or viewfinder?' I had a mental image of a ridiculous setup with a flash umbrella sticking out over a guys shoulder, but then I realized you were talking about rain umbrellas. 😃
I found the Ebay option for about $7 that ships from China. For that price, it would be good to experiment with! I'd rather do that before investing in the Rogue, especially with having to purchase a new flash and some other equipment.

06-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
It's really good to have this clarity now .....so clearly the message is that the newer WR Pentax flashes do not need to be used with umbrellas
06-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I found the Ebay option for about $7 that ships from China. For that price, it would be good to experiment with! I'd rather do that before investing in the Rogue, especially with having to purchase a new flash and some other equipment.
The Flash Bender type is nice outdoors too because it sends most of the flash forward. The cheap small plastic diffusers throw light all around to use the room as a giant softbox, but it takes more power since not all the light goes forward. They do okay in smaller rooms with low-ish ceilings though and you can get them for $2-3 but since it fits on the end of of the flash you shouldn't get one until you know what flash you're getting. The Gary Fong is basically a bigger, better, and more expensive version of those, so the $2 ones are a cheap way to try out that type of diffuser.

---------- Post added 06-11-17 at 11:19 AM ----------

That being said, if you like that type, the Gary Fong is better at softening light because of its shape and larger size. It also has different top attachments like an inverted silver reflective dome that redirects the light from the top to the sides (for outside or if the ceiling is too dark to reflect). There are knockoff Gary Fongs on eBay too. (Search "cloud lambency diffuser reflector")

One thing to be aware of is that the plastics in cheapo diffusers might slightly change the color of the flash. Most wouldn't notice it, but it's worth noting of you are extremely particular about the color temperature of your flash.

Last edited by TheOneAndOnlyJH; 06-11-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: I
06-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
The Flash Bender type is nice outdoors too because it sends most of the flash forward. The cheap small plastic diffusers throw light all around to use the room as a giant softbox, but it takes more power since not all the light goes forward. They do okay in smaller rooms with low-ish ceilings though and you can get them for $2-3 but since it fits on the end of of the flash you shouldn't get one until you know what flash you're getting. The Gary Fong is basically a bigger, better, and more expensive version of those, so the $2 ones are a cheap way to try out that type of diffuser.

---------- Post added 06-11-17 at 11:19 AM ----------

That being said, if you like that type, the Gary Fong is better at softening light because of its shape and larger size. It also has different top attachments like an inverted silver reflective dome that redirects the light from the top to the sides (for outside or if the ceiling is too dark to reflect). There are knockoff Gary Fongs on eBay too. (Search "cloud lambency diffuser reflector")

One thing to be aware of is that the plastics in cheapo diffusers might slightly change the color of the flash. Most wouldn't notice it, but it's worth noting of you are extremely particular about the color temperature of your flash.

All great information, thank you so much. I found a Metz 64 on Ebay for under $350, and that seemed like the best I could do. I am anxiously awaiting its delivery so that I can begin using it. It's far more than I wanted to spend, but I think I will be getting a good flash for the money. I looked at the Gary Fongs, that might be a future investment!

07-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #23

So how is life with your new flash?
07-16-2017, 03:57 AM   #24

My choice of AF-540FGZ (ver. I) over Sigma EF-610 DG Super (I do own both) is because of tilting and swivelling the head, which I do all the time (direct vs. bounced, horizontal/panorama vs. vertical/portrait, etc.): Sigma has 'locks' for its flash head tilting/swiveling with unlocking slowing down my pace of work, while with Pentax you just use your brute force.
I added StoFen OmniBounce diffusers for the above (the size/model differs for Pentax/Sigma flashheads).
540FGHZ and EF-610 are able to work together in one wireless setup.
Pentax menu is more intuitive and its LCD is of bigger size, better contrast and also much better backlit in dark environment, while Sigma has one more function ('strobo').
Sigma remebers its settings after being switched-off (pro), while Pentax resets all settings to default (con).
Pentax (ver. 1) has 'famous' Auto non-TTL thyristor mode, which Sigma lacks (as well as new 540FGZ II).
IMO Sigma HSS is much stronger, which may lead to overexposure at close distance.

-----
I know folks tend to follow the Pentax brand, but are there any other reasons to choose Pentax or Metz over the Sigma or the Shanny?

Last edited by Prakticant; 07-16-2017 at 09:48 AM.
07-16-2017, 05:44 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in your position years ago and ultimately decided to spend the extra on the 540 (first gen). For events and weddings it was the best money I spent next to a good lens. As mentioned above, when I upgraded bodies, I didn't worry about compatibility. I eventually added a diffuser. The thing is it makes me mobile, just clip, set and go.
01-06-2019, 03:02 AM   #26

The Shanny SN600FGZ should not be so easily overlooked. Its well built and has a good spec. Been using it at weddings for two years now no complaints. Choose it over my Pentax AF540FGZ most of the time.
01-06-2019, 04:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Tell us more! .... I'm assuming you are using on-camera flash at the weddings? What is it that makes you choose the Shanny over the Pentax for those situations?
01-06-2019, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #28

Yes ...On camera flash. P-ttl all of the time. Bit more coverage from the Shanny as it's a little more powerful. Both are well built flash units. With the Pentax probably edging it on quality of build. But considering these days its three times the the price. It would be expected. That's the big reason I no longer take it into an event day senario. Where the hustle and bustle of the day can easily get things damaged. (At present Pentax have no official repairer in the UK) For me, when using a flash at events. It comes down to trust and reliability. Can the ttl system return a well exposed image ? A lot of the time you are taking quick candid shots. Running and gunning..!! Cant fire the flash directly. At least grab something you can work on when you get home. And both units have delivered this for me.
It may just be my Pentax unit. But I find the head a little weak when in the bounced tilt position. Difficult to support a modifier. Which the Shanny certainly isnt.

My opinion is when you are purchasing your flash. You have to sit down and analyse before you purchase your flash. What it is exactly what you want it to do.. If you eventually want to build up an off camera wireless system. Then you should steer towards the Pentax units. Or rear curtain sync captures. Other than that, off the top of my head the Shanny can equal all other features, just as well. At a third of the price. A decent quality. Easily affordable reliable unit. Some bells n whistles not all.

Last edited by stub; 01-06-2019 at 09:58 PM.
01-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Plenty of fair points there Stuart, and there's no denying the excellent value from the Shanny. There's a number of value added extras that come with the Pentax, but yes, it is a big price difference. I have to admit I only got both my AF-540s at big discounts!
01-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Can the ttl system return a well exposed image ? A lot of the time you are taking quick candid shots. Running and gunning..!! Cant fire the flash directly. At least grab something you can work on when you get home. And both units have delivered this for me.
It may just be my Pentax unit. But I find the head a little weak when in the bounced tilt position. Difficult to support a modifier. Which the Shanny certainly isnt.

My opinion is when you are purchasing your flash. You have to sit down and analyse before you purchase your flash. What it is exactly what you want it to do.. If you eventually want to build up an off camera wireless system. Then you should steer towards the Pentax units. Or rear curtain sync captures. Other than that, off the top of my head the Shanny can equal all other features, just as well. At a third of the price. A decent quality. Easily affordable reliable unit. Some bells n whistles not all.
I totally agree. Before I pulled the trigger on my Shanny SN600FGZ, I looked at what must have been EVERY flash, manual, P-TTL, HSS and not.
Eventually I weighed the cost difference vs specs vs power rating to see if another $100-500 was really worth a couple of features I may use on rare occasions.
Bang for buck, the Shanny still surprises me. In P-TTL, bounced. rotated, bounced AND rotated (outside of HSS) it just seems to always expose perfectly.
Manual mode is extremely powerful. Even HSS with no diffuser shocked me.
The ONLY thing is lack of support and communication from Shanny regrding anything related to the Flash.
Would I buy another one? Absolutely! For the performance to price ratio, I don't think it can be beat (unless you NEED the Pentax Optical Wireless flash triggering or don't want to use transceivers at all if/when you get into off camera flash, then Yongnuo 585EX would be the economists choice) for the feature set. I've tested and shot the Shanny at events indoors on camera, off camera for portrait sessions, macro, pets, both with and without HSS and the images always come out beautifully lit.