Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
HSS w/ Metz 64 and Cactus

Hey guys I have a k1 and recently picked up 2. Cactus V6 11 receivers I currently have a Metz 44AF 11 and it works off camera with HSS !
I'm not getting enough zap with this Speed Light and want to purchase the Metz 64 AF 1 .
My question is does anyone know if the 64 AF will work with the Cactus triggers mentioned for off camera HSS ??
Many thanks

Alan

06-14-2017, 12:50 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My recollection is the Metz 64 AF gets its higher guide no. by being able to zoom the head further. However this may not be useful as I think pentax cameras may not be able to pass on the lens zoom information beyond a certain limit and so restricts the flash head zoom performance.

Perhaps someone out there with more knowledge could that.
06-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thank you for the note greatly appreciated

Alan
06-20-2017, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The Cactus V6II supports the Metz 64 AF-1. As the Cactus trigger controls the zoom setting manually (up to 200mm), there is no problem with the extended zoom range of the Metz.

06-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply just ordered the Pentax 540 the Metz was going to take 6 to 9 weeks hoping I made the correct decision! Have to get into this HSS as mentioned the 44 Af 11 metz that I have works well just not enough punch I'm hoping the Pentax will be better , does have the weather sealing which is what attracted me to the Pentax brand to begin with for most of what I do is outdoors four seasons .
04-03-2018, 06:43 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Cactus V6II supports the Metz 64 AF-1. As the Cactus trigger controls the zoom setting manually (up to 200mm), there is no problem with the extended zoom range of the Metz.
Thanks for the input. I'm looking to buy a Metz 64 AF-1 because it has more power than the Cactus RF60x as well as my Pentax AF540FGZ (The two have close to the same power output, I suspect).
I am hoping to use BOTH the AF540FGZ and the Metz 645 AF-1 with the Cactus V6ii. P-TTL and HSS.
Can I do this ? Your answer wil be apprecialted :-)
04-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The Pentax, yes. It seems to be prudent to get specific confirmation for each Metz model from the Cactus Community Forum, where the camera and flash combination might have been tested. But hopefully someone here can also confirm for you.

You do appreciate that you require 3 V6II units?

04-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
I'm looking to buy a Metz 64 AF-1 because it has more power than the Cactus RF60x as well as my Pentax AF540FGZ (The two have close to the same power output, I suspect).
Note that flash manufacturers specify the guide number of a flash (GN 64 in the case of the Metz 64 AF-1) when using the longest zoom setting. In case of the Metz 64 AF-1 that zoom setting is 200mm, giving the Metz some advantage over flashes with a standard maximum setting of 105mm.

Fortunately, Metz specify the GN numbers of the Metz 64 AF-1 for each of its zoom settings in the manual. You'll notice that at 105mm, the Metz 64 AF-1 "only" has a GN of 60. That is insignificantly more powerful (~1/3 stop) than a GN 56 flash.

Note that at 35mm, the Metz 64 AF-1 has a GN of 36, whereas the Metz 58 AF-2 has a GN of 35. So when used at lower zoom settings, these flash models are functionally equivalent, despite the apparent difference in maximum GN spec.

The only time you are actually going to reap an advantage from a Metz 64 AF-1 in terms of power is when using it without any modifier, directly (not bounced) at its full zoom setting. The maximum zoom setting can be a good way to bridge more distance (when using a respectively long focal length lens) but whether you'll like the harsh look of flash from an unmodified small flash head is up to you. The only other advantage of a long zoom setting I can think of is to create a smaller spot, when you are trying to control the light to a small area for some reason.

Mcgregni is quite right in recommending to double check compatibility between the Metz 64 AF-1 (for Pentax) and the Cactus V6II, in particular for the X-TTL variant you are aiming to use. My expectation would be that it is supported, but it is better to double check.

@Mcgregni, if you are running the X-TTL variant on your V6II, perhaps you could check whether a Metz 64 AF-1 profile is present? If you have the opportunity to check this, perhaps you could also look for the Metz 58 AF-1 and 50 AF-1 which are two other flashes Photodana has expressed interest for?
04-04-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
@Mcgregni, if you are running the X-TTL variant on your V6II, perhaps you could check whether a Metz 64 AF-1 profile is present? If you have the opportunity to check this, perhaps you could also look for the Metz 58 AF-1 and 50 AF-1 which are two other flashes Photodana has expressed interest for?

Hi, yes, I have now checked this ..... V6II with the PEN.A.001 firmware, the following flashes are listed within the Flash Profiles when the Flash System is set to Pentax : Metz 36Af-5(sic) / Metz 44AF-1 / Metz50AF-1 / Metz 58AF-2 / Metz 64AF-1 / Pentax AF540F / Pentax AF540F2
04-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
V6II with the PEN.A.001 firmware, the following flashes are listed within the Flash Profiles when the Flash System is set to Pentax
Thanks!

This of course doesn't mean that other models are not supported. They are through the generic "AUTO" profile. However, in particular in the case of Metz, it would be worth checking that other users made them work by using a similar profile from another model, since the "AUTO" detection does not work for Metz flashes.

Seems odd that there is no profile for the AF360FGZ(II). It is supported in the multi-brand firmware and I see no reason why it wouldn't work with the X-TTL version. It will probably work just fine using the "AUTO" profile.

Last edited by Class A; 04-04-2018 at 08:19 PM.