Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #1

Indoors flash books

Hi there,

I tried very hard to take advantage of my expensive AF360FGZ II flash, yes I did read the Pentax flash guide and other books as well but nothing worked.

I need to photograph a subject indoors under tungsten light with the flash and that is all, my camera is K3.

Is there a simple approach to achieve this or do you recommend certain equipment and books?

Thanks!

06-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Rather than rely on a method (which you may or may not fully understand) passed on by members here, I'd strongly recommend you read Understanding Flash Photography by Bryan Peterson. It's very repetitive, but that's clearly intentional - the author keeps driving home the basics until the reader "gets it". It's a fun book to read and assumes no previous knowledge of flash photography. By the time you've finished reading it, and experimented a little, you'll be more than set.

Oh, and the equipment you have is absolutely fine
06-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello Markx

Lots of free information online, my advice is to check at least:
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/
and
Bounce flash is the Good Stuff

Best regards,
06-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Technical knowledge and reading up are essential, I believe, to success and consistent control with flash photography But it's the practical application of the knowledge that makes it all happen. You haven't told us what you actually did. .... Give us a step by step description of how you tried to take the flash pictures, and we should be able to suggest where things might have gone wrong.

06-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Whatever you end up doing, remember to use an orange gel on the flash to match the tungsten light. It will make your White Balance in postprocessing so much easier.
06-26-2017, 01:36 AM   #6

Want to try different approach? Take a look at Gavin Hoey's YouTube videos (plenty to chose from).
He shows everything in very simple steps and explains almost everything:
06-26-2017, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Until the OP comes back to explain more about what he is attempting, and what exact steps he has tried, then it is difficult to identify the sort of help that is needed. For example, the colour temperature of the ambient light may have no relevance if the exposure settings render it pitch black. But if he wants to try and balance the flash with the ambient, then we have something to work with.

06-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for your help guys, I want to achieve a vivid and nicely illuminated shoot that any one who looks at it will be unable to tell that a flash was used just like the photos in magazines or at least get rid of shadows, I got a flash diffuser but it didn't do any improvement, next I am planning to get cto gel and a flash stand with an umbrella to experiment further.

Lighting for digital photography by Syl Arena, is it any good?

There must be a way to achieve this so I will not give up until I have tried everything.

Writing in English is not my forte but I hope what I wrote was clear enough and thanks again guys!
06-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Let"s play a different game, Markx. You link to the perfect example photo of what you're hoping for, and we can suggest how to achieve it.

06-26-2017, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
All I have for you is respect and being thankful for your help, it is true I was looking for a quick solution but I was also looking for other books on the subject if the quick solution was out of the window so that I can pursue this matter further. Your time is valuable to me too and to call it a game, that was uncalled for.

As for an example, that will have to wait for this or another topic in the future when I have gained enough experience and to present my genuine request for help with clear intent and a perfect example of what I am trying to achieve then.

Misunderstandings can happen in life and sometimes there is no way around them! Again your help is highly appreciated!
06-27-2017, 02:08 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Markx Quote
All I have for you is respect and being thankful for your help, it is true I was looking for a quick solution but I was also looking for other books on the subject if the quick solution was out of the window so that I can pursue this matter further. Your time is valuable to me too and to call it a game, that was uncalled for.

As for an example, that will have to wait for this or another topic in the future when I have gained enough experience and to present my genuine request for help with clear intent and a perfect example of what I am trying to achieve then.

Misunderstandings can happen in life and sometimes there is no way around them! Again your help is highly appreciated!
Mark - knowing @clackers from the forums as I do, I can tell you for sure he didn't call this a "game" with any disrespect; he's merely suggesting we look at this from a different angle, in a light-hearted way

There are so many different end results that can be achieved with flash photography (even within the descriptions you've given) that an example of a photograph you've seen would go a long way in helping us to give you the advice you need. It could be that you need one or more than one flash; on and/or off-camera; with or without modifiers; firing from different positions etc. Without an example, we could end up offering solutions that don't produce what you're looking for.

I'm no flash expert, but even with my modest skills I can tell a lot from a photo. If you can find something online that looks broadly like what you want to achieve, I'm sure the folks here will be able to give you some pointers
06-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Thanks for your help guys, I want to achieve a vivid and nicely illuminated shoot that any one who looks at it will be unable to tell that a flash was used just like the photos in magazines or at least get rid of shadows, I got a flash diffuser but it didn't do any improvement, next I am planning to get cto gel and a flash stand with an umbrella to experiment further.
If you are working indoors, just bounce your flash (i.e., don't point it at your subject but at a big surface and use the reflected light). Make sure you illuminate a large area of the reflecting surface and ensure that no light from the flash hits the subject directly. Bounce back upwards into the rear wall or one of the side walls, or a combination of that, depending on the look you are after. Have a look at the "Black Foamie Thing".

You've been given great tips and pointers, but you may not need much equipment/reading at all, if you are only after one certain look.
06-28-2017, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I agree with Class A, if you want to get rid of shadows, bounce your flash off of a wall or ceiling or some large white object. This would not require you to get an umbrella yet.

The biggest rule to learn first is that the bigger the light source in relation to your subject, the softer the light will be on your subject. Your flash head is tiny, walls and ceilings are big.
06-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

All I have for you is respect and being thankful for your help, it is true I was looking for a quick solution...
The quickest and easiest way is to learn how to use on camera bounce flash, which can easily be done with the 360FGZII. Read what you can about it (good links are given above) and start experimenting for yourself.

Maybe you will not get the results you're looking for, but it surely will give you decent looking pictures, much better than direct flash or no flash at all.