Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2008, 05:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
1st DL2 AND COBRA 700AF DEDICATED FLASH

Having recently acquired a Pentax 1st DL Digital SLR, I would like to know if it is at all possible to combine my COBRA 700AF Dedicated Autofocus flash unit with this camera. The hot shoe buttons appear to be the same configuration, although when I fit the flash to the camera, the red autofocus lights come on and remain on. Whilst attempting to take a photo, the 1st DL will neither focus on the red light nor flash.
I previously used the flash with my Pentax SF7 SLR film camera OK and it still works with this.

Any suggestions ??

08-18-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

First of all, take the flash off the camera and use multimeter to check the voltage. It should be below 30V (though way less than 25V is recommended). Once you check that voltage is OK, use it in manual mode. TTL mode will not work.
08-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, drabina..........will attempt your suggested solution...will advise
09-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
Problem solved

Hi, All.......Having contacted Pentax UK, I am advised NOT to use this flash unit with my 1st DL camera as internal damage might occur.
Therefore, it's up for sale....having purchased the recommended AF-360FGZ

Thanks to all who looked

09-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #5

Hm, according to this page, Cobra 700AF has 4.4V pin voltage, whichi is much less than 30V, which's max voltage for Pentax bodies. So, that mean that you could use it with your DL.
Maybe they in Pentax were not sure about its voltage, so they just said not to use it on default?