Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2017, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

K7 + A28 f2.8 + AF 280T = success!

Please excuse the pun title, just thought it was a little topical ....I wanted to offer up something in complete contrast to the common combos we see here (such as the latest cameras, radio triggers and strobes).

Here I've used my 'not so new' camera with some real Pentax legacy stuff ....the A28 f2.8 and AF 280T. Oldies but still goodies!

Please click through to PentaxUser.com for a thread showing the equipment, some technique discussion and a couple of resulting images .... https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/two-rather-old-and-one-not-so-new-59044

As always all feedback and comments most welcomed .

Nigel

07-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never quite mastered the A28, although I've probably tried to use it in situations that didn't play to its strengths. You've done well.
Biggest question I have is what model hood did you use, since I've wanted to try one on that lens?
07-07-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Great pictures!

I've used a similar setup many times, but it was the K20D instead of the K7 (same sensor), and the Rikenon 28 instead of the Pentax 28. Same thing: great results I'll still use the AF280T sometimes with my K-S1, even though I now have the AF360FGZII. I now go with the DA 16-45 usually, which is just wonderful at f8, and allows me more flexibility in those tight indoor situations. But the 28 served me well for a couple of years...
07-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I've never quite mastered the A28, although I've probably tried to use it in situations that didn't play to its strengths. You've done well.
Biggest question I have is what model hood did you use, since I've wanted to try one on that lens?
Thanks MSL .... I always enjoy the little A28, it always brings a real clarity to the points of focus I find. My only complaint with it is I would like the focus throw to be longer, as it can be very delicate getting towards the infinity end, and difficult to hit the spot precisely.

The lens hood is the newest item in use here! It is a JJC model, bought from Amazon ...a search should bring it up. Very handy, I use it also on my F35-70, and I do notice improved contrast with it. It has a 49mm adaptor screwed onto the lens, and the hood screws turns onto that.

07-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
mcgregni

One more question about the hood: is it reversible?

Best regards,
07-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
AF280T success

I have had my AF280T since about 1984 and until last year it was my only flash gun! I have used it on Kr, K5IIs and my K3ii although I could never get it to fire on my K-01. It worked quite well on a range of lenses, old and new, but the drawback always was that I could never control the intensity of the flash - it was what it was according to the camera's calculation of flash, aperture and (presumably ) guide number. I am now happily married to a Metz (and we indulge in fill-in flash) and the AF 280T is enjoying retirement with the occasional trip to work down memory lane.

Somehow all my old kit is in good working order and that surely says something about the quality of the original Pentax manufacturing.
07-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Great pictures!
Thanks Christian! I'm glad you saw them, and good to hear your AF 280T is still in service.

---------- Post added 07-07-17 at 18:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
mcgregni

One more question about the hood: is it reversible?
Hi, yes it will fit on reversed over the F35-70 with the lens cap on for storage. I just tried that with the A28 and that works also.

07-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My AF280T went over to the dark side recently, by which I mean it now only fires at full power at all mode switch positions and will not accept thyristor or analogue TTL control. Proof of the latter lies in my *istDL's continued smooth and happy relationship with the AF080C ringflash.

Oh well, didn't cost me much... In terms of cost per discharge, it hasn't been all that much; and quite a bit of its output ended up on my single-in flickr albums. I might drag it out on occasions when I'm not unhappy to chimp my shots and I need some really serious light for heavily stopped down macro work.
07-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
My AF280T went over to the dark side recently, by which I mean it now only fires at full power at all mode switch positions and will not accept thyristor or analogue TTL control. Proof of the latter lies in my *istDL's continued smooth and happy relationship with the AF080C ringflash.

Oh well, didn't cost me much... In terms of cost per discharge, it hasn't been all that much; and quite a bit of its output ended up on my single-in flickr albums. I might drag it out on occasions when I'm not unhappy to chimp my shots and I need some really serious light for heavily stopped down macro work.
You can buy them for under 10 dollars, so just get another one This is a great flash worth keeping shooting with!
07-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Thanks MSL .... I always enjoy the little A28, it always brings a real clarity to the points of focus I find. My only complaint with it is I would like the focus throw to be longer, as it can be very delicate getting towards the infinity end, and difficult to hit the spot precisely. The lens hood is the newest item in use here! It is a JJC model, bought from Amazon ...a search should bring it up. Very handy, I use it also on my F35-70, and I do notice improved contrast with it. It has a 49mm adaptor screwed onto the lens, and the hood screws turns onto that.
I agree with you on the focus throw. I think my problem was trying to use it at F2.8, where it isn't all that sharp compared to faster lenses being shot at 2.8 or even wide open.
If you could include the model number of the hood that would be helpful, as JJC make a huge number of them.
07-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manstanox Quote
I have had my AF280T since about 1984 and until last year it was my only flash gun! I have used it on Kr, K5IIs and my K3ii although I could never get it to fire on my K-01. It worked quite well on a range of lenses, old and new, but the drawback always was that I could never control the intensity of the flash - it was .......

Somehow all my old kit is in good working order and that surely says something about the quality of the original Pentax manufacturing.
I never used the TTL mode, not having used Pentax in my film days, but in the Auto mode, while the flash is output to a fixed level (and measured by the flash sensor until that fixed level is reached), we can control the actual flash exposure in the image by changing the ISO or aperture on the camera, so recording more or less of the flash output as needed.

I'm also impressed by the durability of the old flash, although mine looks like it was never taken out of it's case! Still, impressive that it still performs faultlessly at 35 or so years old.
07-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You can buy them for under 10 dollars, so just get another one This is a great flash worth keeping shooting with!
Depends where you live. I'm in Canada, so postage and (likely) importation penalty fees will negate any savings.

I'll get around to replacing mine eventually; right now I'm having too much fun with film in daylight and the AF540FGZ-II on the K-1. Bizarrely, the third-party P-TTL cable I bought for it plays well with the K-5 and very poorly with the K-1 for some reason.
07-08-2017, 01:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wonder if plenty of these were bought in the 80's and not used that much ..... I certainly could never afford to learn to use flash properly back in the film days ... The cost of printing multiple copies of every poorly exposed / ineffectively lit scene was prohibitive, and caution was not conducive to learning. The lack of instant feedback with film shooting meant that many opportunities to see results and make fine tunings were lost.

Perhaps that's why many flashes bought by well to do hobbyists with their LXs etc might have stayed in their cases mostly....?

Surely digital has contributed most significantly to a uprise in flash use and learning?
07-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
If you could include the model number of the hood that would be helpful, as JJC make a huge number of them.
Hi, I managed to find the box with a few more details .... This is the full description ....

"JJC Screw-In Lens Hood / Flower Lens Hood - LS-49 (49mm)" . The product code on a sticker on the back is "JJC LS-49".

I hope you can find the item, as it is a very sturdy and handy little accessory. Good luck!

There's another good little hood from JJC I've got also .... for the FA / F / A 50mm lenses, plus the DA 35 ..... its code is "LH-RC49".