Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #1

Off-camera flash

Hi-
I own the K-1 and K3ii and have purchased the Quantum T5d-R flash. I am wanting to go wireless and need an adapter. Is the Quantum FW57 wireless TTL adapter for FreeXwire compatible with the K1 and K3ii? What I've researched is that it's only compatible with select Pentax cameras.

Thanks!

07-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not familiar with this flash or adapter. However a quick look at the listing on B&H web site shows that the Pentax cameras listed are all older TTL cameras. Anything new, since maybe the K100D?? will use P-TTL and from that I would suppose what you bought would not be compatible. But I am not a flash expert so perhaps someone else will chime in. Just keep in mind that gear made for 'TTL' does not work with gear made for 'P-TTL'.

Was there a particular reason you purchased this flash gun and system?
07-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I am not familiar with this flash or adapter. However a quick look at the listing on B&H web site shows that the Pentax cameras listed are all older TTL cameras. Anything new, since maybe the K100D?? will use P-TTL and from that I would suppose what you bought would not be compatible. But I am not a flash expert so perhaps someone else will chime in. Just keep in mind that gear made for 'TTL' does not work with gear made for 'P-TTL'.

Was there a particular reason you purchased this flash gun and system?
Thanks for the info. Now that I'm researching this a bit more, it seems that the flash may not work with the Pentax K series. I had researched off-camera flashes and had seen great reviews for this flash and found it used on B&H for a great price. I contacted B&H to see what additional equipment I needed and, although I told them the cameras I own, they listed this adapter as one I should purchase, but now that I'm looking into it more, I don't think they're compatible. Darn!

Thanks so much for your response.
07-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are most welcome. Off camera P-TTL options for Pentax are somewhat limited. If you just need manual triggering that is easy, but automation is mostly Pentax brand flashes, a Sigma and one Yongnuo that will work. I might be missing another one but it escapes me right now.

For manual triggering look at either the Cactus or Yongnuo lines. I use the Cactus v5 and v6 triggers with a variety of flashes from old Pentax AF200T, to Nikon SB-26 to modern Pentax and Cactus flash guns to studio strobes.

07-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You are most welcome. Off camera P-TTL options for Pentax are somewhat limited. If you just need manual triggering that is easy, but automation is mostly Pentax brand flashes, a Sigma and one Yongnuo that will work. I might be missing another one but it escapes me right now.

For manual triggering look at either the Cactus or Yongnuo lines. I use the Cactus v5 and v6 triggers with a variety of flashes from old Pentax AF200T, to Nikon SB-26 to modern Pentax and Cactus flash guns to studio strobes.
I'll look into those more. Thank you so much for your help.
07-07-2017, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Cactus line works great. I also use a manual wireless trigger from Adorama (with their name on it) which has worked flawlessly with my studio strobes.
07-08-2017, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kellys Quote
Is the Quantum FW57 wireless TTL adapter for FreeXwire compatible with the K1 and K3ii?
It should work on a modern Pentax as well, however, if it works at all then you will only get standard triggering up to the sync-speed.

There won't be any automatic metering support or HSS (high-speed sync).

For HSS (using flash even though the shutter speed exceeds the sync-speed) you will have to use one of Cactus V6II, Acon R930, or Aokatec optical->wireless->optical.
The V6II currently supports HSS (with supported flashes or those that allow HSS to be engaged manually) and will receive an alternative firmware version that will also support P-TTL (automatic metering). The R930 already supports automatic metering but is way less useful when using manual flash control.

07-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The Cactus line works great. I also use a manual wireless trigger from Adorama (with their name on it) which has worked flawlessly with my studio strobes.
Thank you! I'll look into that.