Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #1

Thoughts on best lighting kit to go with K1?

Hi!
So I've been researching lighting equipment and have gotten so overwhelmed. I have a K1 and K3ii and plan on shooting weddings, babies/kids, families, both indoors and outdoors. First of all, are both of these kits HSS and/or TTL? Are they both compatible with the K1? Any suggestions on the best kit to go with?

Cactus:

The Kit includes:

2 x Cactus Wireless Flash RF60X
1 x Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 II
2 x Kupo 034 Mini Kit Stand (Folded 66cm, Max. 236cm)
1 x Cactus Fiberglass 40" White Diffusion Umbrella F-401
1 x Kupo KS-102 Umbrella Swivel Bracket with KS-014R and KS-15R
1 x Kupo KS-039 Adjustable Cold Shoe Mount
1 x Light Stand Bag 70cm
One (1) of the following Soft Box:
1 x Cactus 60cm Foldable Soft Box CB-60
1 x Cactus 60cm Foldable Soft Box CB-60S (Silver Reflector w/Grid)
1 x Cactus 60cm Foldable Soft Box CB-60W (White Reflector w/Grid)

AlienBees:

The Busy Bee

2 AlienBees™ B800 Flash Units
1 AlienBees™ B400 Flash Units
2 13ACLS 13-foot Air Cushioned Light Stands
1 10ACLS 10-foot Air Cushioned Light Stand
1 FOB47 47-inch Foldable Octabox
1 HG20 20º Honeycomb Grid
1 PLM64U-SS-8MM 64-inch Soft Silver PLM™
1 PLM64-WFDF 64-inch White Front Diffusion Fabric
1 CST2 CyberSync™ Transmitter 2
1 CSR CyberSync™ Receiver
3 AlienBees™ Single Light Carrying Bags

Thank you SO much!

07-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cactus is launching a firmware update for the V6 II that will provide cross brand TTL for Pentax. The update has already been released for Sony. I shoot with 3 RF60 units and a V6 trigger in manual. Great system.
07-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
If you were in my lighting class, I'd tell you not to buy anything yet.

To answer your post questions:
  • Both will work with your K-1 & K3II or just about anything with a hot shoe
  • The AB gear ( and I love my Bees and Einsteins and Cyber Commander) are neither TTL or HSS. Your better option would be the new Digibees and the Cyber Commander & receivers.
  • The Cactus stuff does HSS but there are people on this forum who are experts on that gear
It is tempting to buy a packaged system but unless you know what works for you, it's very likely you'll end up with a lot of stuff you won't use and have to buy more that you do need. And it's not an either or decision. They are very different kits.

Your best bang for the buck are speed lights, like the Cactus units, used off-camera like the AB's. I use YN-560IIIs. You'll need a good charger, like a Maha, and good batteries like Eneloops Pros.
All easily portable plus no need for power cords or battery packs. I'd start with two or three. You'll need a cold shoe, umbrellas mount and light stand for each. Buff is selling close out model light stands at good price. I'd get a pair of 51" White Buff PLM umbrellas plus black outer covers and front diffusion fabric. Those will work well in people living rooms & dens. I use the bigger soft silver PLMs' in large studios. And you'll be surprised how much can be done outdoors with one bare flash on a light stand. That's all very budget friendly. Then go use it and learn.

You need to learn about light properties ( intensity, direction, quality and color) and how to use and modify them. You need to learn about ratios and keys. You need to learn and understand "key", "fill" and "rim" lights. Instead of TV, look up Neil Van Niekerks free blog and watch Joe Brady's You Tube videos.

There stuff you need but understanding is more important. Its not the gear, its you.
So much great information. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

---------- Post added 07-11-17 at 03:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Cactus is launching a firmware update for the V6 II that will provide cross brand TTL for Pentax. The update has already been released for Sony. I shoot with 3 RF60 units and a V6 trigger in manual. Great system.
Thank you!
07-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #4

I just bought a Cactus RF60x and V6ii this weekend. Great and easy to use. Because they're the same brand, HSS works automatically when you raise the shutter speed past 1/180. It's honestly really easy and I'm impressed as it's my first lighting kit.

07-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nzondlo Quote
I just bought a Cactus RF60x and V6ii this weekend. Great and easy to use. Because they're the same brand, HSS works automatically when you raise the shutter speed past 1/180. It's honestly really easy and I'm impressed as it's my first lighting kit.
Oh great! Thanks so much for letting me know!
07-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Brooke pretty much sums it up. I use Einsteins, but I bought before the DigiBee's were released. The DigBee's with the LED modeling lamp make it a great option for using battery packs and are more then enough power for the typical wedding. The Cyber Commander is pretty good, I use the Trigger Transmitter 2 on camera and keep the Commander on the lanyard around my neck to adjust power. I have not used the DigiBee's, but the Einstein has very consistent color across all power levels. I have the 36", 47", 60" PCB octaboxes and they are all well made and provide great light. The service is excellent, but I live in Nashville, so I just stop by the office and pick up what I need. I never have to ship anything.

I have had 2 of the Cactus V6 units die on me. I have not used the V6 II. The Cactus flashes are fine. No complaints for what they are. Very good value for the money.
07-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Brooke pretty much sums it up. I use Einsteins, but I bought before the DigiBee's were released. The DigBee's with the LED modeling lamp make it a great option for using battery packs and are more then enough power for the typical wedding. The Cyber Commander is pretty good, I use the Trigger Transmitter 2 on camera and keep the Commander on the lanyard around my neck to adjust power. I have not used the DigiBee's, but the Einstein has very consistent color across all power levels. I have the 36", 47", 60" PCB octaboxes and they are all well made and provide great light. The service is excellent, but I live in Nashville, so I just stop by the office and pick up what I need. I never have to ship anything.

I have had 2 of the Cactus V6 units die on me. I have not used the V6 II. The Cactus flashes are fine. No complaints for what they are. Very good value for the money.
Thanks so much for the info!

08-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
If you were in my lighting class, I'd tell you not to buy anything yet.

To answer your post questions:
  • Both will work with your K-1 & K3II or just about anything with a hot shoe
  • The AB gear ( and I love my Bees and Einsteins and Cyber Commander) are neither TTL or HSS. Your better option would be the new Digibees and the Cyber Commander & receivers.
  • The Cactus stuff does HSS but there are people on this forum who are experts on that gear
It is tempting to buy a packaged system but unless you know what works for you, it's very likely you'll end up with a lot of stuff you won't use and have to buy more that you do need. And it's not an either or decision. They are very different kits.

Your best bang for the buck are speed lights, like the Cactus units, used off-camera like the AB's. I use YN-560IIIs. You'll need a good charger, like a Maha, and good batteries like Eneloops Pros.
All easily portable plus no need for power cords or battery packs. I'd start with two or three. You'll need a cold shoe, umbrellas mount and light stand for each. Buff is selling close out model light stands at good price. I'd get a pair of 51" White Buff PLM umbrellas plus black outer covers and front diffusion fabric. Those will work well in people living rooms & dens. I use the bigger soft silver PLMs' in large studios. And you'll be surprised how much can be done outdoors with one bare flash on a light stand. That's all very budget friendly. Then go use it and learn.

You need to learn about light properties ( intensity, direction, quality and color) and how to use and modify them. You need to learn about ratios and keys. You need to learn and understand "key", "fill" and "rim" lights. Instead of TV, look up Neil Van Niekerks free blog and watch Joe Brady's You Tube videos.

There stuff you need but understanding is more important. Its not the gear, its you.
Hi!
I just wanted to check back and thank you so very much for this post. I did not go with either kit and decided to purchase the items you suggested. I have been practicing a lot and I am SO very thankful for the suggestions you made. I love these products and am so excited to continue to keep learning. Had it not been for your post, I would still be quite lost, so thank you for taking the time to give me this information!

Kelly