Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2017, 11:05 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Question - is there any time line for the hss update for cactus one?
HSS is already supported with the current V6II.
Note that you will need two units, though. One for the camera and one for your external AF 540.

It is very easy to set up with one or more flashes.

In the (very near) future (Pentax is next on Cactus X-TTL development timeline), there will be a firmware alternative for the V6II that will support P-TTL features like second-curtain sync and automatic metering. However, you don't need this firmware if you only want to use HSS (and manual flash power control).

07-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Tip: Have it all set up before the model arrives. If there's no one else around, get the exposure right using yourself, with remote shutter - Imagesync or an IR remote, it doesn't matter.

I have both the Acon and the Cactus, BTW. They work well.
Looking at Acon, seems it's a slightly cheaper option ($120 for pair of receiver/transceiver) - is their website the only way to buy them? I couldn't find anything on ebay or amazon, which is interesting, I guess it's a very small company that occupies a small niche?
07-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looking at Acon, seems it's a slightly cheaper option ($120 for pair of receiver/transceiver) - is their website the only way to buy them? I couldn't find anything on ebay or amazon, which is interesting, I guess it's a very small company that occupies a small niche?
Correct. And you won't get the support a larger company provides, either.

07-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm curious, is possible to have hss and pttl via cable? If it is, maybe it'll be wiser to try that instead, freeing some funds for a light stand and some sort of light modifier

07-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm curious, is possible to have hss and pttl via cable?
Yes, that's how I started.

But a P-TTL cable is not as cheap as it should be, either.
07-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, that's how I started.

But a P-TTL cable is not as cheap as it should be, either.
Can you share a link to a model you've used? Should be below $120 right? one would think anyway
07-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #22

The only P-TTL cable I'm aware of is the Vello one. It's really short and coiled, as it is designed just to get your flash off the hotshoe and onto a side-mount bracket, so it's next-to-useless for any real sort of off-camera flash usage.

For what little it does, it works well though. Personally mine never sees the light of day though, as radio triggers are just too convenient.

07-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you share a link to a model you've used? Should be below $120 right? one would think anyway
Paulster's spot on. Once upon a time I used it with an L bracket or held out to the side operating the camera with one hand like I think Le Rolls does.

I've gone radio now, you can have it if I ever find it again.

07-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Paulster's spot on. Once upon a time I used it with an L bracket or held out to the side operating the camera with one hand like I think Le Rolls does.

I've gone radio now, you can have it if I ever find it again.
So LeRolls holds the flash with some soft of modifier with one hand? His work is very impressive, i'd love to see his "behind the scenes" process. I can get Vello one to see what difference it will make, it's $15. Thing is, I bet holding onto my K-1 plus 70-200 would be a bit of a struggle after an hour or two)
07-15-2017, 06:15 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

So LeRolls holds the flash with some soft of modifier with one hand? His work is very impressive, i'd love to see his "behind the scenes" process. I can get Vello one to see what difference it will make, it's $15. Thing is, I bet holding onto my K-1 plus 70-200 would be a bit of a struggle after an hour or two)
Er, forget that. He uses the much smaller FA85 or even FA77.

07-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Er, forget that. He uses the much smaller FA85 or even FA77.
I guess I can try with da 50 1.8 but it wouldn't be my ultimate choice )
07-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I can get Vello one to see what difference it will make, it's $15.
Sounds good, but note how the part has become obsolete for anyone who moved on to radio triggers.

Chances are you'll be blowing $15 on a part that will see hardly any use.

Thing is, I bet holding onto my K-1 plus 70-200 would be a bit of a struggle after an hour or two)
Woah! You'd be holding the "K-1 + 70-200" dumbbell in one hand and a flash in the other. Unless you are Schwarzenegger in the 80's I wouldn't recommend that!
Even just the flash on its own (let alone with a modifier added) gets heavy after a while and if you don't have your left hand to support the lens, the K-1 + 70-200 combo will be dragging you down very quickly.
07-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Sounds good, but note how the part has become obsolete for anyone who moved on to radio triggers.

Chances are you'll be blowing $15 on a part that will see hardly any use.

Woah! You'd be holding the "K-1 + 70-200" dumbbell in one hand and a flash in the other. Unless you are Schwarzenegger in the 80's I wouldn't recommend that!
Even just the flash on its own (let alone with a modifier added) gets heavy after a while and if you don't have your left hand to support the lens, the K-1 + 70-200 combo will be dragging you down very quickly.
I know I remember holding a boom mic on few shots and it was a torture lol, even though it wasn't that heavy in the beginning. I'm still leaning towards triggers, just calculating the overall cost. This photography thing adds up so quickly it makes my head spin
07-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Yes it does. So for less than $25, buy a set of PT-04 or YN 603N II triggers, put it on a light stand and set the flash to Manual. Yes you'll have to walk back and forth to change power and zoom but no trigger system will move the light and that is the most important factor. Add an inexpensive convertible umbrella and you can make the portraits you saw in the video. The umbrella turns the small hard source into a large soft source. Watch Bob Harrington's 1 Light videos on B&H - free!

You'll still have P_TTL and HSS on camera.
I'll still need to buy rather expensive nd filters to have shallow dof with normal sync right?
07-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #30

I'll still need to buy rather expensive nd filters to have shallow dof with normal sync right?

Yup. And ND filters aren't all equal in terms of how neutral their colour balance is either. Check the price of the Breakthrough Photography 3-stop and 6-stop ND filters in the size(s) you need, which would give you the ability to respond to the available light and also darken the skies to bring out your subject. Then compare that to the price of HSS-capable triggers that remove the problem in the first place.