Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2017, 11:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
London would be far nearer Brooke, I won't be able to make Paris this year ....make sure you bring those new Yongnuos for some multi-flash P-TTL portraits

07-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Eiffel Tower looks a bit dark there .... You should have popped up your built-in flash for that one. ....

I now find it impossible to go away on holiday without two flashes and an umbrella with stand, at least! I have to put up with the inevitable groans when I start trying to get things set up before everyone sits down to eat or I'm packing the kit with a flash for those HSS beach shots! But it's usually worth it once the shots start coming in. I only wish I could afford to get more nice big prints done and up on the walls ......
07-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I have seen this, yes, and I'm not sure what it is really .... a possible processing artifact? I may have done some levels adjustment layer work and brushed possibly ....Although generally one great benefit of flash and ambient balancing at the point of capture is that processsing is minimised and exposures are spot on.

I tried two things:

1) assume it's just an accidental framing of background elements that happen to have lower saturation, which seems plausible for the grayish area by her left cheek, but doesn't quite explain the desaturated grass low behind her back and along her leg.

2) Look for similar desaturation of background close by the flash-filled subjects in the other images, but I don't see it elsewhere, only that one image.

AND BTW: The little girl is just as cute as can be.
07-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, but not always .... See the transformation in the one with the red fire engine !!

I've wondered if there could be shadow cast directly behind by the on-axis flash, that might explain the dark rim on the grass just behind, but not of course the rim higher up where there's nothing behind her for 1/2 a mile or so! Strange. Possibly something I messed up when processing,

Anyway, I'm glad you have found the images interesting .....HSS opens up more possibilities and helps us create images with rebalanced lighting and strong tonal depth by being able to optimize the exposure of both background and subject.

Last edited by mcgregni; 07-17-2017 at 03:33 PM.
07-19-2017, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Hello, great idea to just put some HSS samples, better than HSS technical talk

After my initial frustration with the AD200 and the HSS, I just enjoyed an evening on my backyard taking some pics of one of my daughters. I was practicing a kind of pic that I want to get: a photo taken in full or moderate sun, with a worthy 'blurred' background, balancing foreground and background, and avoiding the sun's harsh contrast. This is what we want HSS for, isn't it ?

07-20-2017, 03:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, that's what we want! A lovely shot there .... It's got all the elements. What diffusion did you use? Perhaps its a softbox .... The directional quality is great.
07-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Thanks. I used an umbrella. In the background there are some sunlit trees. She is in the shade, really, playing with a doll. I put the umbrella about 1.5m at left. I used a silver semi-parabolic umbrella, because it can reflect about 2 stops of light more than a conventional umbrella, and I needed all the light possible to compensate for HSS. Also this umbrella warms the light a bit so I thought it could mix well with the evening's sun. I used 135mm and f3.5, to diffuse the background. I measured the background and found that 1/800 should be ok, so I just put enough power on the AD200 to be in balance with the background, and took a series of pics. That's all

Regards.

07-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, my white reflective umbrella has to be very close for sunshine HSS work, and it can he a struggle with a single flash..... The shiny type might be a good idea, I'll look for something thanks.
07-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I bought this 42'' umbrella years ago. It has been stored most of the time... until this year: Hobo Lighting releases new parabolic umbrellas from £20 | Lighting Rumours
It's a bit more complicated to use, because it focuses the light, and you have to 'aim' to your subjetc; not so good to illuminate big areas, groups, etc, but for medium body and if you need power, it's great. I have other silver umbrellas, but the reflection is similar to the tipical reflective double umbrella.
Also it's cheap...
07-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, that looks great! I'll try and get one, thanks for the link.
07-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just stumbled onto this Pentax K-1 HSS video on youtube. Not sure if it was already posted to this forum:

Jack
07-12-2018, 12:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I was prompted to dig out a few images that use the High Speed Sync mode, to show some examples of "domestic practical" application .... this is in reponse to a post on the Godox AD360 II-N works on Pentax with Cactus V6 II thread ...... Godox AD360 II-N works on Pentax with Cactus V6 II - PentaxForums.com

One thing in question is the cost / benefit aspect of using HSS vs ND filters or other contrast controlling and light balancing approaches. I guess I use HSS because my flashes offer the option, plus I enjoy the technique ..... but then again most of my usage is simple on-camera direct flash, and with Pentax P-TTL flashes that is a very quick and easy way to take extra control over the lighting balance in your images ..... but there are a few examples here that use off-camera (optical triggered) HSS .....

All of these photos have used shutter speeds of around 1/350th - 1/1000th in order to reduce the ambient light significantly and light the shadowed subject distinctly from the flash, reducing contrast and changing the balance of light in tghe scene considerably .....

Attachment 362690

Attachment 362691

Attachment 362693

Attachment 362694

Attachment 362695

Attachment 362696

Thanks for taking a look and any HSS related chit chat ! .... Nigel
I must say i really like your photos.

I found this thread while researching about hss flash. Wanted to ask if you have experience with the 360fgz, and it is worth buying. I am not a frequent flash user, so it will be used maybe 5 times a year.

Would make more sense to me to buy the smaller cheaper one. But if it's not powerfull enough, i might buy the 540.

Thanks in advance.
07-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote

I found this thread while researching about hss flash. Wanted to ask if you have experience with the 360fgz, and it is worth buying. I am not a frequent flash user, so it will be used maybe 5 times a year.

Would make more sense to me to buy the smaller cheaper one. But if it's not powerfull enough, i might buy the 540.

Thanks in advance.
This is kind of an old thread.
I like the 360fgzii better than the 540fgzii because it recycles faster and is powerful enough for my uses. If you need the extra power the 540fgzii is a fine flash.
07-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
Thanks Mikesul is right, you have to judge you own needs, and many find the 360 plenty enough. This thread is about HSS, and I have found that outdoors in bright sun I always need more power. Once you get to 1/1500th sec even the 540 has very little more to give. For off camera HSS work now I am more likely to mount two flashes onto a dual adaptor and use an umbrella, just to get enough power.
07-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know this an old post but it gives me another chance to thank mcgregni for all his hard work on the flash guide. I have read through it many times. I do use HSS flash but mainly for macro. I just set the K-1 to ISO 400, usually f11 for depth of field, 1/400s because that is about the fastest I can go, and I adjust the flash output as needed. I feel the P-TTL on the AF540FGZII is a bit more dependable than the original version. This photo was taken indoors at a conservatory in poor lighting. Without the flash my only option would have been to crank up the ISO.