Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2017, 06:52 AM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I think you can make this work. If you want to try again, just let us know which LEDs light up green.
Hi Class A, just saw your post, and am gonna get back with your suggestion. Thanks.

08-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #32

Original Poster
I think you can make this work. If you want to try again, just let us know which LEDs light up green.

P.S.: It is probably best to disable any optical triggering on the YN 560II (it may not hurt to have optical triggering activated, but you want the YN 560II to respond to a trigger signal on the centre pin).
Hi Class A,
Nope it doesn't work. I see the tx communicating with the rx perfectly as both turn green promptly, but they are not able to trigger the flash. I checked that the flash works by pressing the Pilot button. Checked carefully both V5's on the same channel, in fact, changed channel for both just in case, also checked the rx is where the flash is sitting, and tx is the trigger. I also put the flash in all the four modes it has (M, S1, S2, Multi) and tried to trigger with the V5 each time, but nothing. Its just beyond me why the flash doesn't work.
You mentioned optical triggering. I dont see that anywhere either on the flash or the V5's.
Also, all this testing was done without the camera coming into play, so you know.
08-02-2017, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
I see the tx communicating with the rx perfectly as both turn green promptly, but they are not able to trigger the flash.
OK, it is good that you are seeing the receiver showing a green confirmation blink.

Also, all this testing was done without the camera coming into play, so you know.
That's fine.

I checked that the flash works by pressing the Pilot button.
That may not be enough.

It seems the YN 560II has modes in which it does not respond to hot-shoe triggering. It won't work with a V5 in these modes.

So what you have to do is mount the YN 560II on the camera and then configure it so that it fires whenever you take a shot with a camera. Once you have established that, don't change anything on the YN 560II and just mount it on the V5 receiver.

Repeat your test from earlier by full pressing the test button on the V5 transmitter. If the V5 receiver LED then does a green confirmation blink and the flash is still not firing, I have no idea what could be wrong. This should not happen. The only suggestion I'd have in this case is to swap the V5 units, i.e., mount the YN 560II on the other V5 unit and use the current receiver unit as the transmitter. Perhaps one of your V5 units has a defective hot-shoe or does not make contact with the YN 560, but that problem should not occur with both units.
08-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #34

Original Poster
So what you have to do is mount the YN 560II on the camera and then configure it so that it fires whenever you take a shot with a camera. Once you have established that, don't change anything on the YN 560II and just mount it on the V5 receiver.
That, Class A, for whatever reason, worked! Thumbs Up to you Class A, and to all the previous gladiators who were in the ring with me. So you know, I mounted it on a Kx, flash on manual, Kx on manual, went into the flash settings to make sure flash is selected, took the shot and the flash fired! Switched off Kx, but not the flash, mounted on a V5 (Rx), triggered it with the other V5(Tx).
Thanks for that brilliant suggestion Class A.

Class A, does Grant and Polly still host the morning 7am radio show? I have lived in Wellington for 10 years many many years ago, was on Dixon st and then on Brooklyn rd(near Central Park). Loved Wellington, everything good about it.

08-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Thanks for that brilliant suggestion Class A.
Glad it worked.

Blame it on me being uncomfortable with not understanding things and the V5 and YN 560II not playing together did not make sense to me.

Class A, does Grant and Polly still host the morning 7am radio show?
Apparently they stopped in 2016. Too early for me anyway.

I have lived in Wellington for 10 years many many years ago, was on Dixon st and then on Brooklyn rd(near Central Park). Loved Wellington, everything good about it.
What a coincidence.

It is a great place, indeed.