Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #1

Yongnuo 560II as slave + K-5. What can be the settings?

Hi guys,
I am trying to get into using flash for the first time. Have read a lot online, the above flash-camera combination works with the flash in the camera's hotshoe, but I wanna use the flash detached from the camera and don't know what settings would work. Tried many possible combinations but nothing.

I also have four Cactus v5 triggers and would love to know, in addition to the above setup, how to bring them into the mix and make the flash work as a slave.

Thanks.
v13

07-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The following scenario is what I would assume may work, as long as the flash you want to fire optically has that option. The YN560II has the wireless option, so I am assuming it will.

You will need at least two flashes. The camera and one of the flashes would both have V5 units on them. The flash that has the V5 unit on it I am assuming will be off camera. If that flash that has a V5 on it is set to Manual mode, then you would set the flash you want to fire optically (YN560II, slave) to S1. If the flash that has the V5 on it is set to PTTL, you would set the flash you want to fire optically (YN560II, slave) to S2.

What that scenario is dependent on is that the flash you want to fire optically will react to the fire of the flash that has the V5 unit on it. Make sure the V5 unit on the camera is set to the same channel that the one flash that has a V5 on it is set to. The K-5 is using a V5 unit in this scenario, and the camera itself does not need to be set to the wireless function due to it already utilizing a V5 unit along with an off camera flash that has a V5 unit on it. Also, make sure the V5 on the camera is set to Transmit (TX) and the V5 on the off camera flash is set to Receive (RX).

If you are attempting to fire the YN560II using the K-5 built in flash, you just need to make sure the built in flash discharges and the YN560II is able to see it and react. I am assuming you would use the YN560II in S1 mode for that as long as you are not utilizing PTTL.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-21-2017 at 05:42 PM.
07-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The following scenario is what I would assume may work, as long as the flash you want to fire optically has that option. The YN560II has the wireless option, so I am assuming it will.

You will need at least two flashes. The camera and one of the flashes would both have V5 units on them. The flash that has the V5 unit on it I am assuming will be off camera. If that flash that has a V5 on it is set to Manual mode, then you would set the flash you want to fire optically (YN560II, slave) to S1. If the flash that has the V5 on it is set to PTTL, you would set the flash you want to fire optically (YN560II, slave) to S2.

What that scenario is dependent on is that the flash you want to fire optically will react to the fire of the flash that has the V5 unit on it. Make sure the V5 unit on the camera is set to the same channel that the one flash that has a V5 on it is set to. The K-5 is using a V5 unit in this scenario, and the camera itself does not need to be set to the wireless function due to it already utilizing a V5 unit along with an off camera flash that has a V5 unit on it. Also, make sure the V5 on the camera is set to Transmit (TX) and the V5 on the off camera flash is set to Receive (RX).

If you are attempting to fire the YN560II using the K-5 built in flash, you just need to make sure the built in flash discharges and the YN560II is able to see it and react. I am assuming you would use the YN560II in S1 mode for that as long as you are not utilizing PTTL.
Thanks C_Jones.
As you mentioned, the first scenerio needs one more flash. We hence talk about the second scenerio where the built-in flash fires the YN560ii. I am not able to do that.
On the YN560II I will put it to S1, as you mentioned(had done that before I wrote this post, but didn't work, with and without the V5's).
My settings in the K-5 is where I need to make changes to to get the built-in flash to fire the slave YN560II.
What settings would you use in the camera?
07-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you want to fire the YN560II using the V5s: Place one of the V5 units on the K-5, set it to TX, and select a channel such as "1" on the V5. Place one V5 unit on the YN560II, set that V5 to RX, and select channel "1" on that V5 unit also. Turn on the camera and the flash. Set the camera mode to a mode such as Manual or TAV mode. Make sure your camera shutter speed is at or below 180. Try 125 shutter speed for example. You can adjust your F Stop and ISO to accommodate the light from your flash and/or you can adjust the flash output also (1/2, 1/4, so on). That should work for the V5 use.

The use of built in flash should work as I mentioned above. Make sure the camera is in a mode like Manual or TAV mode, make sure the shutter speed is at or below 180 on the camera, use something like 125 to test. Make sure the camera built in flash is up and firing. If you do have the camera in "Wireless" mode, make sure the "Flash in Wireless Mode" setting in Custom Settings on your camera is "On". Try the S1 setting and the S2 setting on the YN560II just to see if either will work. Have the built in flash close enough to the YN560II during testing also. If you have another flash, you could try using that on camera and the YN560II off camera, but the built in flash on the K-5 should be able to do what you are specifying. The YN560II optical slave mode should be activated by a substantial burst of light from any flash.

Update:
If you press on the bottom four way controller button on the back of your K-5 when in TAV or M mode, you can select the "Flash On" symbol to assure your K-5 pop up flash will fire while the shutter speed is at or below 180.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-21-2017 at 10:34 PM.
07-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help C_Jones.

Some observations:

1. The flash didn't ever fire when I had a manual-focus lens on. In fact, the 'wireless flash' icon was greyed out in the K-5 menu. Then I put on a auto-focus lens and the 'wireless flash' icon came to life. I selected it.
2. The V5's never worked with or without the auto-focus lens. It may be that they don't support the YN560II for whatever reason.
3. The flash fired when my built-in flash was on(stood up from its lying position), when my wireless flash in the menu was on, in fact, now the flash fired in all modes i.e. M, S1, S2 and Multi.

Questions:
1. Is there any way to make the YN560II work in slave mode with a manual lens, for.e.g. a Tak 1.4?
2. Why the hell wouldn't the V5's not work? They did give out a green light when I pressed their testing button, which means they did communicate with each other, but the flash never fired, even with the auto-focus lens on!
07-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Okay, congratulations on getting it to fire with the built in pop up flash. As you can see, the built in flash has to be up to fire any other off camera flash.

With the V5s on both the camera and on the YN560II flash, make sure the camera is using a shutter speed of 160 or less, the V5 on the camera is set to TX, the V5 on the YN560II is set to RX and that the YN560II is in M (Manual) mode. If it does not fire, test the flash in the other modes available. Trying the camera in M or TAV mode may be effective. The channels on the V5s should also be set to the same number.

The YN560II is listed as compatible with the V5 on the Cactus site.
https://www.cactus-image.com/v5.html

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-22-2017 at 08:24 AM.
07-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
With the V5s on both the camera and on the YN560II flash, make sure the camera is using a shutter speed of 160 or less, the V5 on the camera is set to TX, the V5 on the YN560II is set to RX and that the YN560II is in M (Manual) mode. If it does not fire, test the flash in the other modes available. Trying the camera in M or TAV mode may be effective. The channels on the V5s should also be set to the same number.
Check to each and every one of the points that you mentioned to make sure, but the YN560II does not fire with the V5! I tried 20,000 more permutations and combinations besides yours to somehow get the V5 to fire the YN560II, but it doesn't.
I have established that my V5's and YN560II are working independent of each other, but not together. Can it be that there is something built inside the YN560II which doesn't allow the V5 to work with it, so that perhaps I would need to buy a compatible trigger from Yongnuo? More sales for them?
(I know both companies have come out with newer things and I am holding on to dinosaurs, but if it works, than why not)
It would be very interesting and helpful if someone having a YN560II and V5's could make them work together or had made them work in the past, could add to this.

07-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Did you try X mode on your camera mode dial? It sounds like you may have, but I just wanted to mention it.

---------- Post added 07-22-17 at 11:51 AM ----------

You could also check to see if the flash is set to use a Yongnuo radio trigger mode, which you could undo, set the flash to M, and test.
07-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #9

Original Poster
Did you try X mode on your camera mode dial? It sounds like you may have, but I just wanted to mention it.

---------- Post added 07-22-17 at 11:51 AM ----------

You could also check to see if the flash is set to use a Yongnuo radio trigger mode, which you could undo, set the flash to M, and test.
Yes have tried the X mode of K-5, though I always shoot in M, but this was out of frustration that I tried the X mode.
And also tried all the four modes modes on the flash just hoping some mode would raise its hand and say 'There! It works now', but no luck!

Can it be that its because its a Pentax camera? I was going through a small booklet that Cactus provides with various diagrams of camera, flash, modifier setups used by people and taken lovely photos using the V4/5's. All the photos and diagrams had cameras for Nikon, Canon, Sony etc, but not a Pentax! One diagram also had a Yongnuo used with a Nikon setup.

---------- Post added 07-22-17 at 06:36 PM ----------

Just posting an update here.
I connected one of the two cords that you get with the V5's to the YN560II, put the V5 on RX. Then put the other V5 on the K-5 hotshoe as a TX, checked the channels to be the same, and pressed the camera button, The flash did not work!
Then I pressed the testing button on the V5 which sat on the camera, and it triggered the flash. But no photo because the camera was not triggered. So in that way the V5's and the YN560II works together, but not wirelessly.
07-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

You may have had to be using the camera in X mode when you attempted that. You need to make sure the flash is not set to Yongnuo Radio Trigger mode in its settings, and that the camera is not utilizing wireless mode (for optical slave).

These are just suggestions. If the flash fired using it directly attached to the hot shoe of the K-5 as you said in your first post, the flash does have compatibility.

---------- Post added 07-22-17 at 01:50 PM ----------

I have used the V5s with my 3 Pentax AF360FGZs and K-3II in on and off camera scenarios successfully. If you tried a Pentax flash such as an AF360FGZ in your testing that might be helpful to see if the setup is right that you are using, but the YN560II, as I said, is classified as compatible with the V5, and the K-5 is also compatible with the V5. I had two K-5s and have a K-5IIS along with a K-3II.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-22-2017 at 10:53 AM.
07-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #11

Original Poster
You may have had to be using the camera in X mode when you attempted that. You need to make sure the flash is not set to Yongnuo Radio Trigger mode in its settings, and that the camera is not utilizing wireless mode (for optical slave).

These are just suggestions. If the flash fired using it directly attached to the hot shoe of the K-5 as you said in your first post, the flash does have compatibility.

---------- Post added 07-22-17 at 01:50 PM ----------

I have used the V5s with my 3 Pentax AF360FGZs and K-3II in on and off camera scenarios successfully. If you tried a Pentax flash such as an AF360FGZ in your testing that might be helpful to see if the setup is right that you are using, but the YN560II, as I said, is classified as compatible with the V5, and the K-5 is also compatible with the V5.
As far as I know there isn't a Yongnuo Radio Trigger mode on the YN560II, unless you mean the Multi mode. But anyway, as mentioned earlier, I do have tried all kinds of combinations to fire the flash with the V5 acting as Tx & Rx, and pressing the camera shutter release, but the flash doesn't fire, unless as you mention I mentioned, the built-in camera flash stands vertical as the master, then the YN560II fires in all its glory in any mode you may fancy. But in that scenario, when will the V5's come into play?

---------- Post added 07-22-17 at 08:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
I have used the V5s with my 3 Pentax AF360FGZs and K-3II in on and off camera scenarios successfully. If you tried a Pentax flash such as an AF360FGZ in your testing that might be helpful to see if the setup is right that you are using, but the YN560II, as I said, is classified as compatible with the V5, and the K-5 is also compatible with the V5.
We both agree there is compatibility between all three players i.e. K-5, V5's and YN560II. There must be something I must be doing/not doing that I am not able to figure out.
Tell me one thing, you set up the AF360FGZ's onto the V5's being in Rx mode, one of the V5 is mounted on the camera hotshoe acting as the Tx(no flash is mounted on top of that V5 Tx), and then you press the camera shutter button and the flash/s fire? Is that how you do it?
07-22-2017, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The success you have had with the K-5 built in flash is an asset, but the V5 cannot be used at the same time as the built in flash since it cannot be mounted while the built in flash is up. The only way around that is to have a V5 mounted on the K-5 and a flash mounted on top of that V5. You said you are not getting a firing from your flash when you try that though, so without that flash firing, any other off camera flashes you wished to fire using the optical slave mode would not fire due to no light burst to trigger them.
07-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #13

Original Poster
The success you have had with the K-5 built in flash is an asset, but the V5 cannot be used at the same time as the built in flash since it cannot be mounted while the built in flash is up. The only way around that is to have a V5 mounted on the K-5 and a flash mounted on top of that V5. You said you are not getting a firing from your flash when you try that though, so without that flash firing, any other off camera flashes you wished to fire using the optical slave mode would not fire due to no light burst to trigger them.
I think you solved it for me C_Jones.
Because I am using just one flash, and wanting to use it wirelessly detached mounted on a V5, while all this while I have been trying to trigger it with a V5 mounted on my camera but no flash was mounted on the V5 on my camera. And that's why the flash never got the signal from another flash. Well it seems I'll need to buy one more flash than.
But a Big Thanks to you C_Jones for leading me through this thought process. Highly appreciated.
07-22-2017, 11:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian

If I had a YN560II to test with my K-3II it might be easier to tell you about settings and results, but I do not have one. As you said, someone with a K-5, V5s, and a YN560II that has had success with using them would most likely know what you would have yo do as far as steps. If you posted another thread specifying the K-5, V5s, and the YN560II setup and how to use it, that may prompt someone that has hands on experience with them to post some steps that have really worked.

Last edited by C_Jones; 07-22-2017 at 11:41 AM.
07-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #15

Original Poster
If I had a YN560II to test with my K-3II it might be easier to tell you about settings and results, but I do not have one. As you said, someone with a K-5, V5s, and a YN560II that has had success with using them would most likely know what you would have yo do as far as steps. If you posted another thread specifying the K-5, V5s, and the YN560II setup and how to use it, that may prompt someone that has hands on experience with them to post some steps that have really worked.
As you have mentioned earlier, it will take two flashes to solve what I am looking for because there needs to be a light signal from the camera going to the slave flash, hence it doesn't fire.
I would have so much wanted to just click on the camera shutter button, which would in turn command the V5(Tx) on my camera to send a signal to the V5(Rx) under the slave flash to fire that flash.