Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #1

AC Powered Flash with Small Bulb

I am working on an industrial lighting system that needs a concentrated beam of light. Currently, I am using Flashpoint eVOLV 200. This is the same as a Godox AD200. The flash tube in this light is only about an inch wide. I am able to use a lens to concentrate the light into a very narrow beam.
For the application I am developing, the flash must fire hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of times a day. Recycle times may only be one second. The little battery powered unit is not up to this. Can anyone suggest an industrial strength flash with a small bulb?

07-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I very much doubt that the engineered lifespan of photographic flash (especially the small ones) is more than 100,000 cycles and the recharge circuits certainly don't have the thermal design for handling fast and repeated firing. A small photographic flash is likely to burn-out quickly if driven that hard.

You might look into xenon strobes such as those used discos or maybe an automotive timing light.
08-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffBurns Quote
I am working on an industrial lighting system that needs a concentrated beam of light. Currently, I am using Flashpoint eVOLV 200. This is the same as a Godox AD200. The flash tube in this light is only about an inch wide. I am able to use a lens to concentrate the light into a very narrow beam.
For the application I am developing, the flash must fire hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of times a day. Recycle times may only be one second. The little battery powered unit is not up to this. Can anyone suggest an industrial strength flash with a small bulb?
Lumedyne provided what I needed!
08-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffBurns Quote
I am working on an industrial lighting system that needs a concentrated beam of light.

Get a snoot with a set of grids, it will waste a ton of light create a lot of heat if there is a modelling lamp but for precisely controlled beams of light: snoots are unsurpassed. You could also get a similar effect with a zoom fresnel attachment, however those are very expensive and heavy modifiers.

08-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Get a snoot with a set of grids, it will waste a ton of light create a lot of heat if there is a modelling lamp but for precisely controlled beams of light: snoots are unsurpassed. You could also get a similar effect with a zoom fresnel attachment, however those are very expensive and heavy modifiers.
Good ideas, but not good enough for this application. I used a telecentric lens.
08-22-2018, 05:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hello,

I don't know if you need to fire allways at full power. The AD200's battery promises 500 full power pops, at 1/2 power should be around 1000, and so on, but who knows how many pops can you get. Also, we have the overheat protection 'problem'.

This guy (
) tested the AD200 and found that it's able to do 75 1/2 power pops in 5 mins before overheating. Not sure how many pops you need in such time.

My suggestion is to get 4 AD200, 5 Cactus V6 and configure the group sequence feature, so this way you are firing the 'A' flash first, then B, etc. You'll get 4x more pops a day and less overheating issues. At 1/2 power you should get near 4000 pops a day.

I have no idea about your budget, 4 x AD200 + 5 x V6 + 4 x telecentric lenses = lot of money

Regards.