Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoccoStiglitz Quote
Very nice!

A Cactus trigger and a couple speedlights are on the very top of my list. The flexibility HSS gives is amazing.
I can't wait until we get a Pentax-compatible on-camera flash (as opposed to a studio strobe) which does true hypersync, i.e. mimicking the extended burst duration the old bulbs gave. If of course such a thing is possible given the power requirements. Burst duration for current X-sync flashes at camera sync speed or slower is what, about 1/5000 sec? 1/10,000? Sustaining a plateau over 1/180 to paint the scene while the second curtain makes its way across is going to eat batteries like nobody's business.

Perhaps that's why the FP bulbs were all one-shot pyrotechnics in nature. The thought of a capacitor which can carry that load inadvertently letting go right in front of my face, even inside the flash housing, isn't one I would care to contemplate.

08-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I can't wait until we get a Pentax-compatible on-camera flash (as opposed to a studio strobe) which does true hypersync, i.e. mimicking the extended burst duration the old bulbs gave. If of course such a thing is possible given the power requirements. Burst duration for current X-sync flashes at camera sync speed or slower is what, about 1/5000 sec? 1/10,000? Sustaining a plateau over 1/180 .
Can't think of any on camera flash from any maker that does that, Pathdoc ... they're not known as 'speedlights' for nothing ... they're all xenon flashes.

The current hypersync implementations only work at full power, and even then, as the shutter speed increases, you get that banding at top and bottom like ND grads.

As you say, the slower studio strobes with their longer t-times do this 'better'.
08-09-2017, 02:42 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
hardcore photographer! bringing a 60x60 softbox on a family holiday
"Nigel, did you remember the passports ?"

"Err....I've got the softbox honey"

Lovely shots Nigel, and a great illustration of HSS.

Last edited by pschlute; 08-09-2017 at 02:56 AM.
08-09-2017, 03:58 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
agree Shots 4-6 bring the softness of a Childs Skin back and in addition shots 4 & 6 eliminates the bags under her eyes. The 3D effect that the lens and settings gives turning the background into a virtual studio drop cloth is awesome.
Thanks! Ah yes, the 'bags' ..... that will teach her for choosing to stay up way past bedtime watching Harry Potter films instead of thinking about the High Speed Sync Photoshoot planned for the next morning!!

---------- Post added 09-08-17 at 11:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RoccoStiglitz Quote
The flexibility HSS gives is amazing.
Yes, and I appreciated the ability to instantly adjust power output in response to changing sunlight levels, clouds moving etc .... 'hyper-sync' lacks this feature, so HSS has this as an advantage in my view.

---------- Post added 09-08-17 at 11:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Nice set. Well done.

Just my opinion, but #2 subtracts from the set because of focus. Her fingers and her face look slightly blurred. It's minor but in comparison to the other photos it stood out to me.
Maybe an example of HSS motion blur .... yes its a bit soft that one.

---------- Post added 09-08-17 at 11:07 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
"Nigel, did you remember the passports ?"

"Err....I've got the softbox honey"

Lovely shots Nigel, and a great illustration of HSS.
Thanks Peter! Yes, I have my priorities right, thats for sure .... thanks also AtitG, glad you saw the shots

Last edited by mcgregni; 08-09-2017 at 04:18 AM.
08-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just to give a different flavour, here is one taken the next morning in 'Non-Hss' conditions ....ie dull cloudy light, where the max sync speed was suffucient for the ambient exposure. This also shows a different lighting approach, with the main softbox flash (camera left) balanced by a fill flash into a reflective umbrella (placed slightly right and above the camera) .

Certainly it deals with the deep shadow issue raised earlier .....

Name:  Shropshire-HSS-3.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  96.5 KB

I used the AF-540FGZII with V6 receiver for this fill light. This combination works up to the Max sync speed, but the V6 cannot take the Pentax flash into HSS mode, which was why I could not use it for the HSS shots.
08-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Just to give a different flavour, here is one taken the next morning in 'Non-Hss' conditions ....ie dull cloudy light, where the max sync speed was suffucient for the ambient exposure. This also shows a different lighting approach, with the main softbox flash (camera left) balanced by a fill flash into a reflective umbrella (placed slightly right and above the camera) .

Certainly it deals with the deep shadow issue raised earlier .....

Attachment 365670

I used the AF-540FGZII with V6 receiver for this fill light. This combination works up to the Max sync speed, but the V6 cannot take the Pentax flash into HSS mode, which was why I could not use it for the HSS shots.
No Harry Potter ?She got a good nights sleep and the softness of a child is definitely there. Overcast skies is Natures Giant Soft Box
08-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good for flowers I find, but for portraits the giant softbox still needs a helping hand I think .... Here it seems that the fill light has evened out and soothed the effect, at the expense of the shape and contrast of the single light with the sun backlight. Different mood. It's fascinating how we can manipulate this by controlling the balance of both our flash light and the natural light together
08-10-2017, 03:22 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Certainly it deals with the deep shadow issue raised earlier ...
Much better.

dull cloudy light, where the max sync speed was sufficient for the ambient exposure.
Isn't this what ND filters are for?

08-10-2017, 03:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No, I don't see the connection.... Different techniques for different problems I feel. ND filters will reduce the global EV to allow remaining at max sync speed, but they do nothing to seize control of the dynamic range and contrast in the scene. That is the issue that I am mostly dealing with when using flash outdoors.

From a practical point of view personally I would see filters as an additional fiddly part of the workflow, more to cope with when it's already technically quite a demanding task for a single photographer with no help. I appreciate the great flexibility of ambient and flash exposure balancing that HSS offers.
08-10-2017, 05:52 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good for flowers I find, but for portraits the giant softbox still needs a helping hand I think .... Here it seems that the fill light has evened out and soothed the effect, at the expense of the shape and contrast of the single light with the sun backlight. Different mood. It's fascinating how we can manipulate this by controlling the balance of both our flash light and the natural light together
You are right a little help from the K3 splash of flash to bring the softness of my Grand Baby and the catch lites up ;no other artificial light source used. The curtain pletes taken out by f6.7 & High contrast even though they are relatively close. Ambient light pouring through the window doing most of the Work. I let the ISO go to 3200 (see exif). Simple but can produce a large Canvas print.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 12-20-2017 at 04:24 PM.
08-11-2017, 03:31 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Those are challenging conditions for a portrait! I see what you did with using the ambient brightness, and there's a fair bit of light' wrap around from behind. Generally high ISO's like that are risky with on camera flash as overexposure can easily occur.

I've just been contributing to a thread on the PentaxUser forum where people are complaining about the built-in flash on the KP being only GN6 ..... I'm saying that for auto exposure and auto-ISO operations (which is how many people use their flash) that a weak powered unit may in fact be ideal!

Last edited by mcgregni; 08-11-2017 at 03:36 AM.
08-11-2017, 05:33 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm saying that for auto exposure and auto-ISO operations (which is how many people use their flash) that a weak powered unit may in fact be ideal!
Right On!

I discovered this by accident some time ago. I use TAv auto ISO 100-3200 almost all the time. And when I am shooting the kids I used the in-camera flash to stop the action. Then I noticed that it helped control the action but it was bringing out the softness of the grand babies as well. At auto 3200 & 1600 ISO the flash was a very weak source but did a job I wasn't expecting. The room is Off White and faces south so the ambient light is very good a lot of the time. My avatar of my wife is the same conditions from the Film days in the 80's but no fill flash.In black & white skin tones are just gorgeous most of the time no fill required. You have to tone down the softness a lot of the time like Jousef Karsh did with Winston Churchill by yanking the cigar out of his mouth and making him snarl. Your outdoor portrait on a cloudy day would need a source light to the side and a low powered fill flash on camera from the front to bring out the softness of your child. IMHO

Last edited by honey bo bo; 10-25-2017 at 08:04 AM.
08-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #28

Photos: Gallery
Nigel. On the Cactus what is auto HSS... Is that similar to PTTL where the flash is calculating the exposure. Or a manual state were the V6ii Just acts as a trigger ? For me there are a few unflattering shadows across faces,,(Looks like they need a good wash ) Sorry dont mean to be rude. As I for one fully understand the intracises of Pentax and HSS..
08-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just been contributing to a thread on the PentaxUser forum where people are complaining about the built-in flash on the KP being only GN6 ..... I'm saying that for auto exposure and auto-ISO operations (which is how many people use their flash) that a weak powered unit may in fact be ideal!
I am constantly wishing I could turn the power on my *istD's flash way, way down, but this might be because I have a 55/2.0 SMC-Takumar on it that I would love to be able to open up wide for casual snapshot portraits of my kids. As things go, even with -2.0EV dialled in and the ISO set to the floor level of 200, things are still way too bright unless I stop down to levels that do a portrait-style shot no justice.
08-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Great shots! If only we could have access to a native solution for HSS (and P-TTL) RF triggering of flash... Although the Cactus system obviously works, it's also pretty confusing with different, often incompatible, versions of RX and TX, some supporting HSS, some not, some needing a HSS compatible flash on the RX, others not... Or maybe it's just me being too dumb to understand what works with what in their system!