Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Cactus C6 ii as Trigger for Metz Flashes? Is this possible?

Hello

I am not familiar with the Cactus V6 ii!

I have a question? Would it be possible to put an Cactus V6 ii on an Pentax Cameras Flash-Shoe and then remote Fire Metz (Pentax)-Flashes in Servo od Remote Modus.

Are the Remote Channels compatible with the Channels Metz/Pentax uses?

Has someone experience with this combination.

Gérard

08-14-2017, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will need two or more v6 units.....one on camera and one fitted to each flash foot. You can then fire the remote flash/flashes either setting the power manually directly from the V6 transmitter on camera, or by setting the manual power directly on the flashes. The latter method is prefered if you use a flashmeter as it does not fire the pre-flash.

There is no P-TTL mode for the remote flash yet....but is an upgrade in the pipeline. You can also mount another flash on the TX unit on camera and operate that one in P-TTL mode

My experience is with the Pentax AF540/360 so cannot answer for the Metz.

Or get a Cactus RF60X which has its wireless receiver built in
08-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
Are the Remote Channels compatible with the Channels Metz/Pentax uses?
With "Remote Channels" are you referring the the so-called "wireless" channel settings on Pentax-compatible flashes? These would refer to channels used in optical information transmission (the "wireless" system used by P-TTL).

The V6II does not use optical transmission so these optical channels become irrelevant. You can think of a V6II pair roughly as a P-TTL cable replacement. Currently there is no full P-TTL support but a respective firmware upgrade is in preparation.

Currently, you can already remotely control the power-level and the zoom setting of a Pentax compatible flash using a V6II pair. You can also use HSS (but there is no second-curtain sync or automatic metering yet). For all this to work, the Pentax-compatible flash (from Pentax or Metz) must be in P-TTL (HSS) mode (i.e., a standard mode, neither servo or slave modes are required/useful).

The following dedicated profiles for the V6II exists:
Metz 36 AF-5, 44 AF-1, 50 AF-1, 58 AF-2.
Pentax AF 360 FGZ, AF 360 FGZ II, AF 540 FGZ, AF 540 FGZ II.

However, more Pentax compatible flashes are supported through a generic Pentax profile.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
Has someone experience with this combination.
I'm using the V6II with a K-1 and a Metz 58 AF-2. Works fine. So far only with manual remote power-level control, but that's my preferred flash control approach anyhow. The soon to be released X-TTL Pentax version for the V6II is expected to fully support P-TTL.
11-07-2017, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
With "Remote Channels" are you referring the the so-called "wireless" channel settings on Pentax-compatible flashes? These would refer to channels used in optical information transmission (the "wireless" system used by P-TTL).

The V6II does not use optical transmission so these optical channels become irrelevant. You can think of a V6II pair roughly as a P-TTL cable replacement. Currently there is no full P-TTL support but a respective firmware upgrade is in preparation.

Currently, you can already remotely control the power-level and the zoom setting of a Pentax compatible flash using a V6II pair. You can also use HSS (but there is no second-curtain sync or automatic metering yet). For all this to work, the Pentax-compatible flash (from Pentax or Metz) must be in P-TTL (HSS) mode (i.e., a standard mode, neither servo or slave modes are required/useful).

The following dedicated profiles for the V6II exists:
Metz 36 AF-5, 44 AF-1, 50 AF-1, 58 AF-2.
Pentax AF 360 FGZ, AF 360 FGZ II, AF 540 FGZ, AF 540 FGZ II.

However, more Pentax compatible flashes are supported through a generic Pentax profile.

I'm using the V6II with a K-1 and a Metz 58 AF-2. Works fine. So far only with manual remote power-level control, but that's my preferred flash control approach anyhow. The soon to be released X-TTL Pentax version for the V6II is expected to fully support P-TTL.
I can confirm that K-5II and K-7 +V6II / Metz48 and 50+ V6II P-ttl HSS works and you can remote control flash power output.

02-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You will need two or more v6 units.....one on camera and one fitted to each flash foot. You can then fire the remote flash/flashes either setting the power manually directly from the V6 transmitter on camera, or by setting the manual power directly on the flashes. The latter method is prefered if you use a flashmeter as it does not fire the pre-flash.

There is no P-TTL mode for the remote flash yet....but is an upgrade in the pipeline. You can also mount another flash on the TX unit on camera and operate that one in P-TTL mode

My experience is with the Pentax AF540/360 so cannot answer for the Metz.

Or get a Cactus RF60X which has its wireless receiver built in
Do you know if the update you mention has happened yet? I currently have a Metz 52 AF-1 and a 44 AF-2 and am considering to buy two V6 II units, one on-camera, the other in RX mode. As I understand it, at present, the 52 could be mounted on top of one V6 II unit and in turn on top of the camera and I would have pass-through TTL metering, correct? And manual power and zoom on the other Metz 44 in RX mode, correct? BTW I'm using all of this on a K-70.
02-24-2019, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
Do you know if the update you mention has happened yet? I currently have a Metz 52 AF-1 and a 44 AF-2 and am considering to buy two V6 II units, one on-camera, the other in RX mode. As I understand it, at present, the 52 could be mounted on top of one V6 II unit and in turn on top of the camera and I would have pass-through TTL metering, correct? And manual power and zoom on the other Metz 44 in RX mode, correct? BTW I'm using all of this on a K-70.
The P-TTL update for the Cactus V6II happened many months ago. I have them working very well with off camera Pentax AF540/AF360 and Cactus RF60 flash units in P-TTL mode.

I cannot answer for your specific flash units and suggest you start a new thread specifically on that subject.
02-25-2019, 05:49 AM   #7

The P-TTL update for the Cactus V6II happened many months ago. I have them working very well with off camera Pentax AF540/AF360 and Cactus RF60 flash units in P-TTL mode.

I cannot answer for your specific flash units and suggest you start a new thread specifically on that subject.
Many thanks for confirming that.
03-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #8

Beside other options Metz M400 & AF26-AF1 work together with my V6II

03-19-2019, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #9

Since my last reply to you (on 25th Feb. 2019) I have now purchased two V6 II's, using them in conjunction with my K-70, a Metz 52 AF-1 and Metz 44 AF-2. They only arrived yesterday but I've been at it all day and so far so good. Everything I've tried thus far works, including updating the firmware to PEN.A.005! But I haven't tried everything, as yet. So I will write a new post in a few days on the subject in the hope that it will help other Pentax, and in particular, K-70 owners.