Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Why are all the Lighting manufactures ignoring Pentax....?

Is it too much to ask for. Just a simple TTL lighting trigger ? I today wanted to purchase a lighting strobe. So I could do some outdoor portraiture. I was looking at 3oow and above. Preferably battery powered.. HSS would be nice but not a deal breaker. For full length portraits. Overpowering what little sun we get here in the UK..lol All the ones I seemed to find originated in China. But only catered for the main brands. Canon Nikon, Sony and Fuji. In some instances even Olympus.. Are the sales in Pentax cameras worldwide, so small that it wouldn't warrant a little research and development ?

Yes I have seen the Cactus V6II but I feel its oversized expensive and not really the perfect answer.... Guess ill have to forget the idea...for a while at least...

Last edited by stub; 08-16-2017 at 03:44 PM.
08-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They're not *all* ignoring Pentax. Have you seen this?
Acon R930 P-TTL radio trigger and 1/8000 Sync - PentaxForums.com

But yes, Pentax's market share is tiny outside of Japan. Europe is their second-biggest market but it's still dwarfed by the other brands in overall volume.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ah...this old chestnut.
08-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They're not *all* ignoring Pentax. Have you seen this?
Acon R930 P-TTL radio trigger and 1/8000 Sync - PentaxForums.com

But yes, Pentax's market share is tiny outside of Japan. Europe is their second-biggest market but it's still dwarfed by the other brands in overall volume.
thanks Adam... I believe they are difficult to set up. Limited to firing flash guns... (Speedlights) certainly not as sophisicated but far more expensive than the Chinese triggers..

---------- Post added 16-08-17 at 03:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Ah...this old chestnut.
Then isnt it time someone tackled the problem rather than accepting it....

08-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This may be the wrong way to ask this, but why is TTL important to what you are trying to do? Couldn't you accomplish the same thing with generic wireless triggers and a decent flash meter? I'm genuinely curious here, as I don't understand the benefit.
08-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Go for it stub! You are up to it! Tell them that you...err, we are tired of being ignored and that they are leaving money on the table by not widely supporting P-TTL. BTW, could you tell me again what it is we are supposed to buy so that all the lighting manufacturers can make money from us.

Steve
08-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The problem of basic economics? Sure thing.

I assume this 'someone' person is not you? This someone would need to be either the CEO of these manufacturers, or some kind of god...so I'd guess not. Neither is anyone else here...so you're wasting your breath...erm, fingers...or whatever.

08-16-2017, 05:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Is it too much to ask for. Just a simple TTL lighting trigger ?
The Acon R930 triggers Adam highlighted are relatively cheap, and work out-of-the-box (ie with no configuration) to do P-TTL HSS whenever I use them. Very simple.

I today wanted to purchase a lighting strobe. So I could do some outdoor portraiture. I was looking at 3oow and above. Preferably battery powered..
Priolite MBX 1000 HS or MBX 500 HS do all that and more, with Pentax P-TTL and HSS support over a radio trigger... but they are a bit large and expensive.
08-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
No Im not the one your right im just a frustrated customer...!! I just want an off camera system as convenient as other brands offer... In answer to your questions yes and I do use a manual trigger and a meter at present.. TTl is not essential but is a convenient alternative... High speed sync on the other hand....theres another question altogether....!!
08-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks Adam... I believe they are difficult to set up. Limited to firing flash guns... (Speedlights) certainly not as sophisicated but far more expensive than the Chinese triggers
With all due respect, Stub, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

I have three triggers that do P-TTL on Pentax.

I own the Aokotec, the Acon and the Cactus.

The Acon is small, simple, and just works. I use it with the Pentax AF360 and AF540 speedlights that do both P-TTL and HSS.

The Cactuses I use to drive a Godox Wistro Nikon studio strobe to get HSS. The Cactus doesn't yet do Nikon P-TTL, but it's been claimed they're developing that.
08-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

No UK distributor....
Some quick Googling shows up Calumet UK, Amazon UK, & others like this retailer:
Priolite
08-16-2017, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
The cactus doesnt fire a studio strobe it just interprets the signal and transfers that to another trigger...So yes it works but its a work around solution not a dedicated trigger... But as I dont know what im talking about I will shut up and leave you guys to it.... You obviously enjoy paying out for expensive solutions,,,,
08-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #13

The cactus doesnt fire a studio strobe it just interprets the signal and transfers that to another trigger...So yes it works but its a work around solution not a dedicated trigger... But as I dont know what im talking about I will shut up and leave you guys to it.... You obviously enjoy paying out for expensive solutions,,,,
I use the Cactus with Broncolor studio strobes, so I don't know where you got that idea from.
08-16-2017, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Dont get frustrated my friend. I bought the acon, but I returned them without even using them. The problem was that it was too difficult for me to understand the lights. I posted them back two months ago and still not got my money back.
I got two of the cactus V6II because PTTL HSS will be coming to it. I do understand that its a little bit expensive than the Acon. But triggers last long and I will rather have an easy to use than a difficult trigger. Even as rare as I use them.

In addition the Cactus can be used cross brands. I have not tried this myself though.

Culture.
08-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

??

No different to firing a speedlight off camera, Stub.

One transceiver on your camera, one transceiver on the light, that's it.

No different from being in a studio and having a pair of Pocketwizards - one with a cable out to the strobe or whatever.

I have actually used these products. Ignore real experience at your peril!