Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Inexpensive wireless trigger/receiver kit for K-1?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Can anyone suggest something along these lines? Someone gave me Phottix Ares (mark 1) kit and it seemed to work just fine, although the person is using it with another system, so I guess the simple wireless kits (no ttl and no hss) can work with any system? Should I just go to adorama or b&h and pick up any kit with reasonable reviews?

08-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Recycled an older post, essentially the same question:

Years ago, with K5's and Pentax 540's, I first bought these to fire the flashes off camera PT-04 . They do one thing, fire the flash. So as long as I was 1/180 or less shutter speed, the flash fired. They worked okay as long as I kept good batteries in both.

Over time, I used them to fire AB800s, Einsteins and YN560's. Ended up with a bag of them ( they're cheap) which I still occasionally use, especially in my Intermediate photography class.

I now use YN560III's ( have 4) with YN603N II's and a YN560 TX. But in my Lighting Class, I set the YN560III's to M ( turn off built in wireless receiver) add the PT-04 receiver and give one plus the PT04 Transmitter to students to use on their cameras. So far, no issues with Canon, Nikon or Sony bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update part: You can use YN603N IIs like the PT-04 and eliminate the different battery type in the PT-04 Transmitter. Slightly larger and more expensive but also eliminates the need for a receiver if you add YN-560III or IV flashes which have a built-in receiver. You can also stack another transmitter on top of a YN-603N II, like a Buff CST or Cyber Commander. I've used an Einstein with an Omni on a boom plus a snooted YN560-III as a hair/ring light and could control power on both from camera. You could put a PT-04 Transmitter on top of a YN603N II to fire just about anything else.

Lots of folks here like Cactus which has additional capabilities but costs more. Not a lot, but more. I've no experience with that brand so I'll leave it to others for recommendation.

Personally, I don't use or have a need for HSS or P-TTL. My cameras stay on "M" and my lighting is manual. I do LOVE having remote control of power of both my flashes and mono lights. Much easier and faster to fine tune and swap key and fill ratios. No more climbing up on conf. room tables & chairs during head shot sessions or climbing a ladder to change the settings of a boom mounted monolight.

If you want inexpensive, PT-04s then YN603IIN ( get the N. or Nikon version for Pentax) then price wise, just about everything else. I spend as much on gear as I need to get the job done and no more. But always with redundancy and backup for everything that would stop a shoot.
Thanks for info! Is this the product you are talking about?

Look at this on eBay 30m-Remote Wireless Flash Trigger PT-04 for Canon Nikon Pentax & studio strobe | eBay

I believe my k-1 can do up to 1/200 sync speed, would I be able to use that shutter speed with these triggers, or 1/180 is the upper limit?

Price is great, would be perfect for me to start with these and if I get into it more get a nicer set of hss capable triggers.
08-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Didn't realize the link was broken. I'm pretty careful about buying on e-Bay but it's my only route to high rated Japanese sellers, especially for 645 stuff.

Bought mine here Amazon Or just go to Cowboy Studio , $21 for a Transmitter and two receivers. Looks like Adorama is selling them with a different brand name & free shipping ALZO

The other that I use are these, available at B&H YN603N II

I doubt the difference between 1/180 and 1/200 will make any difference. Folks use these on Canon, Nikon et al that have 1/250th sync.
Sure, I just wanted to know if I'll have access to full sync speed or will be limited to the 1/180, just out of curiosity. Thanks for the links, I'll also rather buy from Amazon or big retailers.

Another question - I have another flash at home, and older Sigma for Canon system. It's a fairly nice flash, I think should be similar power output to my 540. Would I be able to trigger that one with a second receiver? I'd imagine two flashes off camera would give a ton of flexibility and creative opportunities.
08-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rather than go for something because it is cheap, go for the Cactus V6II. You can use HSS and will eventually, when the firmware upgrade comes through, use P-TTL off camera if you have the need.

You can add Cactus RF60 units which have receivers built in.

08-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Rather than go for something because it is cheap, go for the Cactus V6II. You can use HSS and will eventually, when the firmware upgrade comes through, use P-TTL off camera if you have the need.

You can add Cactus RF60 units which have receivers built in.
I was considering acon/cactus route, but figure before investing into something I had no experience in I could get a cheaper option and experiment. I didn't get d5 as my first camera for the same reason)

---------- Post added 08-19-17 at 09:50 PM ----------

That should work, just put the flash into the receiver hot shoe. One flash is you key and one is your fill. Or one as key with a reflector for fill and the other for rim/hair light or background light. I have 4 flashes and will probably add a 5th. I can put 2 or 3 in a big brolly box at 1/4 power for fast recycle and generally the others for fill & hair light are ok at 1/4.
Bought the two receiver plus a transceiver set, hope it'll work with both of my flashes) thanks for suggestion!
08-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I was considering acon/cactus route, but figure before investing into something I had no experience in I could get a cheaper option and experiment. I didn't get d5 as my first camera for the same reason)

I don' think this theory really applies to flash photography. The cheapest / least sophisticated products are not necessarily going to give longer term service or the best value, as they may become limiting over time when your skills and technical needs increase.

It is interesting to note that Neil van Niekerk, in his book "Off Camera Flash" specifically recommends only buying the top range model from your Camera brand! This is for the same reasons I said just above. Now this might be overkill, I do accept that ... however, I never recommend the AF-360FGZII over the '540' version, because the lower power will ultimately limit you eventually (however the '360' could be recommended if it will serve often as an on-camera Wireless Controller / Fill Light, in combinations with the more powerful model off-camera).

In terms of value for money over the longer term, it is rarely best value to buy the cheapest and then have to buy something else down the line .... probably better value to buy above the initial immediate needs and not have to buy again later.
08-20-2017, 02:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree that we should not spend money unnecessarily. That's why its essential to link the product choices and budget to ones intended / preferred / needed technical approaches and modes. If we expect to do all of our flash photography in Manual mode and are able to move back and forth between the flashes to set power and adjust, then yes, the most basic and inexpensive trigger set can do .... although back up units might be a good idea.

If we want to take advantage of TTL, HSS, 2nd Curtain etc, or we want our flashes to serve as on-camera lights and give distance / range guidance, AF assist for example, then I'm suggesting its maybe best to consider these at the beginning.

08-20-2017, 03:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

And if it dies, so what?
Well, planet earth can only take so much garbage. We don't want to grow piles of electronic waste more than necessary.

I'm not saying that PT-04 triggers are incompatible with a "green concious". I don't know anything about their quality / durability.

All I'm trying to point out is that in the case one could afford two different products and knows that one of them is more likely to fail than the other and that there will be no way to have it repaired in case it develops a problem then the thought of "sustainability" should cross one's mind before one simply does the maths and argues that one would still better off in terms of purchasing power even if one has to throw one or two items of the cheaper product away.
08-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I don' think this theory really applies to flash photography. The cheapest / least sophisticated products are not necessarily going to give longer term service or the best value, as they may become limiting over time when your skills and technical needs increase.

It is interesting to note that Neil van Niekerk, in his book "Off Camera Flash" specifically recommends only buying the top range model from your Camera brand! This is for the same reasons I said just above. Now this might be overkill, I do accept that ... however, I never recommend the AF-360FGZII over the '540' version, because the lower power will ultimately limit you eventually (however the '360' could be recommended if it will serve often as an on-camera Wireless Controller / Fill Light, in combinations with the more powerful model off-camera).

In terms of value for money over the longer term, it is rarely best value to buy the cheapest and then have to buy something else down the line .... probably better value to buy above the initial immediate needs and not have to buy again later.
Well it kind of does in a way, like I'm not entirely sure I'll be into this type of photography (I'm a landscape photographer mainly), so it makes no sense investing into top of the line product. I just want to try and see. If I like it I won't consider spending $20 that I spent on these triggers wasted, ill just upgrade and keep those for backups, or pass them onto my younger brother that is getting into photography too now
08-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have had a bad experience with the Yongnuo triggers, they work well but it can be place on backwards and then is impossible to remove from the camera!!!!!!!!! Pentax has a spot on the hotshoe that would be a pin on other cameras it is just a hole and aligns perfectly with the Yongnuo trigger when placed on backward. When install correctly the triggers are cheap and work well but when in a hurry and installed incorrect it is a problem.
08-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
In my opinion if your only looking for a manual system. The PT-04 triggers are a cheap and cheerful option. That will start you off on the off camera learning curve. Though I would choose the PT-16. If your working in group shoots to give you more channel options. If you in time want to take it further you only need a better trigger to give you HSS or TTL options...

I've used these for six years now and never had any problems at all... Superb value for money....

New 16 Channels Wireless Remote Flash Trigger Universal For Canon PT-16GY GH | eBay
08-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I already bought the pt-4 kit with two receivers, should be fine for starters.
08-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #13
Pentaxian

As far as saving the planet, compared to the mountains of obsolete mobile phones hidden away in millions of drawers, camera triggers would be a rounding error.
Something does not become right or insignificant just because there might be bigger problems.

I don't want this to be a confrontational debate. I don't hold anything against anyone looking for budget solutions. I don't splurge on expensive items inconsiderably either. However, I do think that we should consider sustainability as a factor (rounding error or not).

BTW, the argument often becomes an economical one as well. You are "lucky" in a sense that you never wanted more from a trigger. Many people go for something really inexpensive first to then discover they really can make good use of more features (here, say group control or remote power level control, etc). The proverb "I'm too poor to buy cheap" referring to the common phenomenon that one has to replace a cheap item because it has become defective or one outgrows its capabilities quickly does not come from nothing.

Again, this is not against you or the PT-4 triggers. Just general thoughts.
08-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Can anyone suggest something along these lines? Someone gave me Phottix Ares (mark 1) kit and it seemed to work just fine, although the person is using it with another system, so I guess the simple wireless kits (no ttl and no hss) can work with any system? Should I just go to adorama or b&h and pick up any kit with reasonable reviews?
Depending for what you need! I am using Phottix Ares (had 4 of them), only in studio, where I can get 100% control of the lights by adjusting them manually. They are very reliable, work with any kind of light (central pin), very low battery consumption.

For wireless control of power, zoom, etc, you need to look for producers which are selling both light & trigger, or trans-brand triggers.
08-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So triggers arrived, and while they work flawlessly with my 540, the old Sigma doesn't fire (Sigma EF 500 Super). I did a bit of searching, and it seems it has an incompatible pin connection with the NPT-04 - Sigma has 5 smaller pins rather than 1 large one. It works in optical slave mode though, gonna have to test things out when I'll get a chance. Should've looked into pins/compatibility, assumed all work in the same way (since I was able to fire my 540 with a trigger that someone used with canon flashes).

---------- Post added 08-23-17 at 12:15 PM ----------

If I bought a single receiver (say YN 603 with the needed pin connections), would it be able to work with NPT-04? Or they work on different frequencies?