Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2017, 02:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3 + Godox AD200

Hi,

I want to move up to HSS with my strobing, and I`m wondering if my thinking is correct- I want to fire a Godox AD200 from my K-3 using a Cactus V6 II trigger. Will this combo work? I`ve seen some guy on youtube using this setup on Fuji and it fired just fine in HSS. I`m aware that the TTL is not really an option. So my question is: will I be able to fire AD200 in HSS from my K-3 using Cactus V6II mounted on my camera? And no second trigger on AD200. One camera, one trigger, one flash.

Cheers

08-21-2017, 02:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No, I don't think so, because you're not providing any way for the signal from the V6II transmitter to be received by the flash. There has to be a compatible receiving trigger unit.

A quick look on YouTube showed me that all the Fuji/Cactus/Godox examples were using an additional Godox trigger in addition to the Cactus. So I believe the situation is the same for Fuji or Pentax cameras.

I'm not a Godox user, but assuming the receiver is inside the flash, then the Godox trigger must be placed on top of the Cactus V6II.

Last edited by mcgregni; 08-21-2017 at 03:19 AM.
08-21-2017, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Kay350.

I've collected a few posts here that use Pentax Digital cameras, a Cactus V6 II trigger and a Godox trigger and Godox lights (AD360 or Ving 850s). If the principle applies to the AD200, you will require:
- K3
- Godox AD200
- Godox xt32C or XT32N trigger
- Cactus V6 II.

Here are the respective posts:
Pentax HSS with Cactus V6ii and Godox Ving 850 Flash - Success - PentaxForums.com
HSS With Pentax K-1+Cactus V6ii and Godox 360 - PentaxForums.com
HSS Pentax 645Z Godox 600 – Mark Kitaoka Photographs

Howie Be
08-21-2017, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kay350 Quote
Hi,

I want to move up to HSS with my strobing, and I`m wondering if my thinking is correct- I want to fire a Godox AD200 from my K-3 using a Cactus V6 II trigger. Will this combo work? I`ve seen some guy on youtube using this setup on Fuji and it fired just fine in HSS. I`m aware that the TTL is not really an option. So my question is: will I be able to fire AD200 in HSS from my K-3 using Cactus V6II mounted on my camera? And no second trigger on AD200. One camera, one trigger, one flash.

Cheers
Hello,

The answer is no, you need extra triggers/receivers to fire the AD200 with HSS. V6II can't control the AD200 alone. Also I have to warn you that the AD200 is different, when setting up HSS, compared to AD360 or v850 (that I also own).

Several combinations are possible to fire the AD200 in HSS mode. As a general rule, you need to put AD200 on HSS mode manually, avoid the wireless mode and put a receiver on the AD200's sync or USB ports. V6II should be configured as Pentax camera and manual flash.

Possible combinations:

(transmitter side) .. => (receiver side)

V6II + rf605 trigger => rf605 receiver on sync port (any dumb trigger/receiver pair should work)
V6II ....................... => V6/V6II on sync port (not tested)
V6II + FT16 .......... => FT16r on USB port (wireless mode disabled)
V6II + XT16/XT32 => XT16r on USB port (wireless mode disabled)

I think using a godox trigger is the recommended way because you can fire AND control the power of the AD200.

A couple of post related specifically to AD200

Anyone getting the Godox AD200?
K3-II + V6 II + XT32C + AD200 = HSS frustration :(

Hope this helps. Regards.

08-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morenjavi Quote
V6II + FT16 .......... => FT16r on USB port (wireless mode disabled)
As Morenjavi wrote, this combination works well with the K3, I've had success with them.
08-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

V6II + XT16/XT32 => XT16r on USB port (wireless mode disabled)
A 2nd thanks to Morenjavi. It's a pity about having to use the extra XT16R on the USB given the AD200 has integrated 2.4Ghz receiver but it is what it is. And of course, the best thing is there is a known working solution. Yay!
08-22-2017, 12:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

A configuration that no one has mentioned yet that could also work (not sure, though) is the following:
  1. V6II in Tx mode on the camera.
  2. V6(II?) in Rx mode somewhere on a table or in one's jacket pocket.
  3. One of the AD200-compatible triggers mounted on the V6(II?) in Rx mode.
  4. A receiver compatible with the transmitter in 3. attached to the AD200.
Ideally, 4. wouldn't be necessary and it isn't with other Godox flash models. Any Godox transmitter that works on a V6(II?) would do and utilise the built-in receiver of the Godox flash model.

The motivation for the above approach would be to get rid of the trigger stack on the camera. I find one trigger big/heavy enough as it is, so if the above would work, it may help those that also would like the camera/trigger combination as small and light as possible. The disadvantage would be not to have immediate power level control from the "3." trigger. If the "2." & "3." combo is in one's pocket, it could be close enough for quick power level adjustments, though.

The reason why the above "daisy chaining" approach may not work well is that there will be two radio signal transmission induced delays instead of just one. This may lead to a part of the frame at the bottom not receiving any light from the flash. However, if someone has all the above gear anyhow, I think it would be worth a try, in case they find the trigger stack on the camera bothersome.

Morenjavi's "V6II ....................... => V6/V6II on sync port" suggestion also avoids an on-camera trigger stack, plus it avoids the delay of the "daisy chaining" approach I described above, but it would require a dedicated V6(II?) for each off-camera flash. That could be an expensive solution, considering that sometimes one can use the built-in receivers of the off-camera flashes or some of the cheaper and simpler FT-16 receiver would do.

BTW, I wrote "V6(II?)" with a "?" because I'm not entirely sure whether a V6 would be sufficient in the receiver roles that are needed. I know that it can definitely handle a "Power Sync" configuration, and that it can definitely not control an attached HSS-capable flash, but it might be able to fire a flash like the AD200 that can be set to HSS mode manually. A V6II receiver would definitely be able to do that, but a V6 receiver would be cheaper.

08-22-2017, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
A configuration that no one has mentioned yet that could also work (not sure, though) is the following:
  1. V6II in Tx mode on the camera.
  2. V6(II?) in Rx mode somewhere on a table or in one's jacket pocket.
  3. One of the AD200-compatible triggers mounted on the V6(II?) in Rx mode.
  4. A receiver compatible with the transmitter in 3. attached to the AD200.
Ideally, 4. wouldn't be necessary and it isn't with other Godox flash models. Any Godox transmitter that works on a V6(II?) would do and utilise the built-in receiver of the Godox flash model.
Hello 'Class A', I tested your daisy-chain configuration and it worked. I didn't notice problems related to the illumination of the quick test pictures I took. Configuration done:

V6II (Tx) => V6 (Rx) + FT16 => AD200 + FT16r

It should work using a XT16 instead of the FT16, but I returned my XT16 time ago.

Similar combination that does not work:

V6II (Tx) => V6 (Rx) + XT32C => AD200

Above sync speed, the V6II does not fire the V6+XT32C combo. I think you need to put a recognized flash on the V6 OR a single pin device (FT16 or similar). I'm afraid the Cactus triggers does not recognize properly the XT32C.

Morenjavi's "V6II ....................... => V6/V6II on sync port" suggestion also avoids an on-camera trigger stack, plus it avoids the delay of the "daisy chaining" approach I described above, but it would require a dedicated V6(II?) for each off-camera flash. That could be an expensive solution, considering that sometimes one can use the built-in receivers of the off-camera flashes or some of the cheaper and simpler FT-16 receiver would do.
I think the original suggestion was yours . I need a proper cable to check, but I tested a similar combination.

V6II (Tx) => AD360/v850 + V6 on hot shoe (nikon sb28 profile)

I use the nikon sb28 profile because is one of the recognized devices that the V6 can fire in powersync mode (it shows the 'P' letter). I have the SB28 flash, but I noticed that this profile also works for single pin devices, like the AD360, V850 or other single pin flashes.

Regards,
Javier.
08-22-2017, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Guess what! I found a male-to-male 3.5mm cable !!

So ...
QuoteQuote:
V6II ....................... => V6/V6II on sync port (not tested)
is 'certified' now.
Also I can fire my AD360 and AD200 at the same time with only one V6 receiver: I put the V6 on the AD360 hotshoe, then connect to the AD200 using the 3.5 cable. Both flashes are fired. But the AD200 is by far the most interesting flash for HSS, because you can control power remotely with HSS on, contrary to the AD360.

BTW, I wrote "V6(II?)" with a "?" because I'm not entirely sure whether a V6 would be sufficient in the receiver roles that are needed. I know that it can definitely handle a "Power Sync" configuration, and that it can definitely not control an attached HSS-capable flash, but it might be able to fire a flash like the AD200 that can be set to HSS mode manually. A V6II receiver would definitely be able to do that, but a V6 receiver would be cheaper.
For me, one advantage of using V6 receivers could be that you can control HSS groups easily. You still need a FT16/XT16/XT32 at hand to control power, of course. The best solution should be that Godox developed a P-TTL compatible trigger but...

Another 'curious' experiment:

V6II + XT32C on top
V6 (Rx) on AD200's sync port, wireless mode ON, HSS ON (sync port works regardless wireless is ON or OFF)
Cactus configured on group A

So now, if you fire the camera, the AD200 receives the V6 (Rx) signal on the sync port and the signal from the XT32, but it seems to prioritize the sync port, so the XT32 is ignored and you fire the AD200 with HSS.

But, if I disable the group 'A', then the XT32 is the only one firing the AD200 and using normal pulses (because with wireless mode on, HSS does not work). Obviously if you are above 1/180 you will get a black picture, but it's a way to choose HSS from the camera side. That is: 'A' group enabled, HSS pulses; 'A' group disabled, normal pulses.

Can it be useful ? I don't know, but was funny .

Regards.
08-23-2017, 02:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Similar combination that does not work:

V6II (Tx) => V6 (Rx) + XT32C => AD200
Have you tried this with the V6II (Tx) being in "POWER SYNC" mode?

I can see why the V6 (Rx) won't play when the V6II (Tx) tries to trigger it in "HSS NORMAL" mode, but triggering should work in "POWER SYNC", unless the XT32C expects a (somewhat) clever camera to talk to instead of a V6.

I use the nikon sb28 profile because is one of the recognized devices that the V6 can fire in powersync mode (it shows the 'P' letter).
Shouldn't the "MANUAL" profile do the same trick?

With some of the earlier firmeware versions, using a Nikon profile was a good way to achieve simple centre pin triggering, but I understand that the "MANUAL" profile has been fixed since then.
08-23-2017, 03:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Kind of sad that Pentax is about the only TTL not supported by the Godox system. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus/Panasonic and Fuji are now natively supported. I am ending up going to my Sonys more and more when I need TTL, because the Godox/Flashpoint system is really slick--just mount a transceiver flash or a transmitter on the shoe, and you control everything with no wires or piggybacking of transmitters.

Maybe we need a letter writing campaign to Godox/Adorama.
08-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Have you tried this with the V6II (Tx) being in "POWER SYNC" mode? I can see why the V6 (Rx) won't play when the V6II (Tx) tries to trigger it in "HSS NORMAL" mode, but triggering should work in "POWER SYNC", unless the XT32C expects a (somewhat) clever camera to talk to instead of a V6.
I put the V6II (Tx) in POWER SYNC mode, in NORMAL HSS mode it does not fire the V6. I noticed that the V6's led was blinking, but not the XT32C's led. My single pin devices worked and my RF605 (nikon version) also worked. I finally covered 4 of the 5 pins of the XT32C and then the XT32C fired. I think that the V6 is 'detecting' the XT32C as a 'strange' device and is refusing to fire it in power sync speeds. If you cover the pins, then is detected as a single pin device, and you have no problems with that.

So then, the daisy chain should work for any device, if you cover the pins (not the central one) when needed.

Shouldn't the "MANUAL" profile do the same trick? With some of the earlier firmeware versions, using a Nikon profile was a good way to achieve simple centre pin triggering, but I understand that the "MANUAL" profile has been fixed since then.
I'm not sure, but I think this was related to the V6II on Tx mode when you wanted to stack a trigger. With earlier versions people were using the nikon profile, then this was fixed and you could use the manual profile. Not really sure about this point, there were a lot of post related to this. I use a Pentax profile and seems to work for every device I put on top of my V6II, and that includes the XT32C If I put it on top of the V6II.

For the V6 (Rx), I think the case is different. I tried the MANUAL profile and some canon profiles (with the 'P' symbol) too, but no success. I think that only the recognized profiles with the 'P' symbol (and single pin devices) are allowed to 'power sync'. Also this functionality was added with the last fw version on the V6. So if your devices does not fire, I'm afraid you have to cover the pins.

---------- Post added 08-23-17 at 01:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Kind of sad that Pentax is about the only TTL not supported by the Godox system. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus/Panasonic and Fuji are now natively supported. I am ending up going to my Sonys more and more when I need TTL, because the Godox/Flashpoint system is really slick--just mount a transceiver flash or a transmitter on the shoe, and you control everything with no wires or piggybacking of transmitters. Maybe we need a letter writing campaign to Godox/Adorama.
I fully agree, I think that Pentax is the only one without a TTL compatible Godox trigger now. If Godox developed a compatible trigger for Pentax I'd buy it immediately. For now, I have to use the V6II. The xTTL development for Pentax can be a good thing too, let's wait .