Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Flash for a beginner

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'd like to start using a flash but it's hard to know where to start. I think I want something with both P-TTL and manual because my shots won't always be in a static setting. After that I'm not terribly sure what I want. Do I need HSS? I'm using a K-3.

I've seen recommendations for these so far:

Pentax AF540 FGZ - around $210 on ebay
Metz 52 AF-1 - around $190
Sigma EF-610 DG Super - around $255
Yongnuo - Do any of these have both P-TTL and HSS if I need it?
I just saw someone has a Pentax AF360 FGZ II up for $275 if that'd be a good deal?

Which/if any of these would be a good choice for me? Or what should I be looking for/at? Thanks!

Last edited by leonardotmnt; 08-25-2017 at 07:15 PM.
08-25-2017, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try here:

Comprehensive Pentax Flash Guide - PentaxForums.com
08-26-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I suggest getting the flash with the most power available within your budget .... This is shown by the Guide Number (GN). For example the Pentax '540' models have GN of 54. It pays to check the figure for other flashes as it is not always obvious from the model name.

Apart from the AF-360FGZII (which is GN 36), the others you listed are similarly powerful. The less powerful choices are more limiting when using the best, sideways bounce techniques indoors, and outdoors when trying to balance flash and ambient exposures in bright conditions. When you start to use your flash in these sorts of ways then you'll appreciate all the power you can get.
08-26-2017, 01:59 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the AF540FGZ is available to for that price and you can afford it, that's the one I would choose. You would never need another flash.
I've had mine amongst a Sigma and Yongnuo and I find my go to flash for all purpose versatility is always the Pentax.

08-26-2017, 05:18 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Any red flags with this one? PENTAX AF-540FGZ Shoe Mount P-TTL Flash for PENTAX K-1 K-3 K-5 K-7 DSLR Cameras 27075116269 | eBay It looks like sometimes they're a bit cheaper and new is around $270 or so. Better to spend more and go new or just save the money?

I'll take a look at the Flash Guide as well. Thanks for linking.
08-26-2017, 05:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Any red flags with this one? PENTAX AF-540FGZ Shoe Mount P-TTL Flash for PENTAX K-1 K-3 K-5 K-7 DSLR Cameras It looks like sometimes they're a bit cheaper and new is around $270 or so. Better to spend more and go new or just save the money?

I'll take a look at the Flash Guide as well. Thanks for linking.
08-26-2017, 06:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It looks in good condition, cosmetically from what can be seen in the photos. The model was the top of line from Pentax for a long time (it was first released about 12 years ago I think ....?), and historically has been very popular and well regarded by Pentax flashers, from what I see on various forums.

The battery door is the most commented on quibble I think. It needs care.....I've had mine for 4 years in regular use and there's been no problem.

It has more versatility than the newer "MKII" version with two extra modes .... TTL for film cameras and 'A' (auto thyrister), which uses an on-flash light sensor to measure the flash exposure. This allows you to have automatic flash exposures with Manual focus and K/M type lenses (as P-TTL is not compatible with those lens types). This is also a popular and well ragarded flash mode. There's full coverage of the practical operating approach in my Guide (section 13, pages 80-81).

Plus this older "540" model has the option of an accessory power pack to add to its recycling performance and endurance.

If you need to compare this older version with the later models then again, it's all covered in detail in my Guide (section 3, pages 20-24).

08-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax AF540fgz would be my first choice.. As it offers the wireless control system. For extending the system in the future. But if cost is a consideration. In a single unit. The Shanny SN600fgz is a good compromise. Being PTTL manual and HSS..

Last edited by stub; 08-31-2017 at 01:43 AM.
08-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Buy nice instead of twice, Leonardo.

Do it second hand if you think you might want to sell it later on, and the loss might be quite acceptable for your testing period.
08-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Consensus is the AF540 FGZ over the Metz 52 AF-1 then? I'm on the fence because it seems like the Metz does most of what the 540 does but is a little better reviewed with less problem areas. I know it has tiny bit less power but seems more robust from what I read. I think it's between those at this point. I've looked at the 540 FGZ II and Metz 58 but I can't find them for a comparable price and I'm not sure stepping up from the $200 range to the $350 range would be worth it for me in this case.

Is there something I will probably need that the 540 does and the Metz doesn't do? I'm still reading up on what exactly everything means so it's still a little hard for me to compare.
08-29-2017, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 540 II is weather-resistant, Leonardo, which will mean nothing to you if you shoot only in a studio.

The obvious issue is that the 540 will likely be tested on all Pentax bodies now and in the future for compatibility, the Metz probably not at all and you'd depend on that company to keep providing firmware upgrades.

Again, this first party/third party thing may not worry you at all and many Pentax owners happily shoot with Sigma or Metz flashes.
08-30-2017, 04:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The obvious issue is that the 540 will likely be tested on all Pentax bodies now and in the future for compatibility, the Metz probably not at all and you'd depend on that company to keep providing firmware upgrades.
Fact 1: Metz has provided updates to even older flash models like the Metz 58 AF-2 when the K-1 was released. AFAIC, there is nothing to suggest Metz will leave users in the cold with new Pentax bodies.

Fact 2: Ricoh broke backwards compatibility to the AF 540(360) FGZ by rendering its AF-assist light useless on recent Pentax bodies. Only the LED-based AF-assist light of the FGZ II models is supported by recent Pentax bodies.

Note that a number of Metz flash models cannot be used as an HSS master (can any of them?) but that may not represent a limitation at all for many photographers using flash with or without HSS.
08-30-2017, 04:37 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
How likely would it be that I'd need to use the flash as an HSS master? I'm not terribly sure what features would fit what scenarios.
08-30-2017, 05:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leonardotmnt Quote
How likely would it be that I'd need to use the flash as an HSS master?
If you think you will do outdoor portraits in bright sunlight and want to shoot with lenses at say F2.8, F2 or F1.4 you may want the HSS functionality. It essentially will let you shoot at a shutter speed greater than 1/180 or 1/200 (on the K1). Note: You need a lot more flash power if you want to shoot HSS.
08-30-2017, 08:08 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
The Metz 52 does seem to have HSS though. Would the Master part mean it can't cause a second flash to be used for HSS at the same time? Would that function be common? Sorry. I'm brand new with flashes and am trying to understand how it all fits together.

---------- Post added 08-30-17 at 08:21 AM ----------

And I see the 540 will go down to 1/64 power but the Metz will go to 1/128. I'm not sure how much something like that would matter though?