Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Best bounce flash for Pentax K3

Looking for advice on the best bounce flash for Pentax K3. Information on Pentax brands as well as third party brands welcomed.

Manual vs P-TTL - Not sure which way to go.

Thanks for you advice.

08-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure if it's the 'best' - that depends on your requirements: eg do you routinely need to illuminate the interior of a large concert hall, do you need high-speed sync, are you OK with manual flash control, do you have a certain $$ budget. Etc etc. From my own use, the Metz 52-AF1 works great for casual un-structured shooting.

But if need be my 30 year old Metz 45-CT1 works OK too, with a Cactus v6 wireless trigger driving it.

The flash area of this forum is probably the best place to ask about flash options.
Flashes, Lighting, and Studio - PentaxForums.com
08-29-2017, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bounce flash

My approach is real simple and cheap:

1. I use manual flash. I get a cheap old flash for $5 to $20, one with plenty of power. I happen to like the big old hammerhead Sunpak 522s, but you can get any flash, like the old Sunpak 422) and set it up on a strobe bracket. I also pick up a voltage control regulater to fit into the camera hot shoe and protect camera from old -fashioned high voltage flash output levels, then fit the old manual flash on top of the voltage regulater/controller. I put flash on Manual setting, and the output level at 1/2.

2. On camera (645N, 645D, K-1, K-3, or K-5II for me), I set ISO at base level (100, 150, or 200 depending on camera or film). I set aperture at f 8 and shutter speed at 1/160 sec. or something different depending on the camera's recommended sync speed (Actually, I put shutter, aperture, and ISO levels on user profile, U1 for me. So when I switch to flash photography, I just switch mode to U1 and start shooting.)

3. Set flash head in desired position--sideways, bounce, or straight ahead (I always use a diffuser to cover flash head for direct or straight-ahead use.), and then start shooting, taking photos, I mean. Too much light? Reduce power output level from 1/2 to 1/4. Try again. You can also open up or close down the aperture to require more or less light. Leave the shutter setting alone. Also, instead of increasing/decreasing flash output level, you can adjust the ISO setting.

4. At an event--party, concert, etc.--once you establish a good flash level, I find that it stays about the same throughout the event. You can generally judge whether you are moving from a darker to lighter area, and make hand adjustments as circumstances demand. You would also make adjustments if you changed distances to the subject or if you change from bounce to straight ahead flash. Any slight over- or under-exposures are quite simple to correct in post processing.

This is how I do it--economical, simple, and direct.
08-29-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by giselag Quote
Looking for advice on the best bounce flash for Pentax K3. Information on Pentax brands as well as third party brands welcomed.

Manual vs P-TTL - Not sure which way to go.

Thanks for you advice.
For various reasons, I think the best bounce flash for the K3 will be the AFG540 FGZ II.

You will get P-TTL and HSS with it, it's weather resistant and has an LED lamp.

08-30-2017, 04:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Aside from Guide Number (flash power) I think the difference between the responses so far boils down to convenience versus price. My high-end Sigma flash probably has more functionality and cost less, but for outright convenience the controls on my Pentax flashes are far more intuitive. As for results - I'd challenge anyone to tell me which flash I used if I used them with the same techniques within their respective guide numbers.
08-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not sure if it's the 'best' - that depends on your requirements: eg do you routinely need to illuminate the interior of a large concert hall, do you need high-speed sync, are you OK with manual flash control, do you have a certain $$ budget. Etc etc. From my own use, the Metz 52-AF1 works great for casual un-structured shooting.

But if need be my 30 year old Metz 45-CT1 works OK too, with a Cactus v6 wireless trigger driving it.

The flash area of this forum is probably the best place to ask about flash options.
Flashes, Lighting, and Studio - PentaxForums.com
Ok I'll check that out. Thanks!
08-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Aside from Guide Number (flash power) I think the difference between the responses so far boils down to convenience versus price. My high-end Sigma flash probably has more functionality and cost less, but for outright convenience the controls on my Pentax flashes are far more intuitive. As for results - I'd challenge anyone to tell me which flash I used if I used them with the same techniques within their respective guide numbers.
Well stated.