Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Honeywell Strobonar 772 disassembly and battery replacement

Hi Pentaxians,
I am trying to put together a retro vintage setup with a spotmatic SP IIa, and a Honeywell 772 potato masher flash.
The flash actually works (with the "wall box" 120v transformer), but I'd like to replace the obviously long-dead internal batteries.

However, I can't seem to figure out how to open the unit. No instructions came with it, of course, and I've pushed and pulled on the little red switch on the front and the two tabs on the back, but nothing seems to budge, and I don't want to exert any further force without knowing how it's done.

I can tackle to problem of the batteries once I"ve got it open. I've seen threads here that suggest it could be either high voltage batteries inside or perhaps not. Maybe some "sub-c" batteries instead. But I digress.

Please, can any of you fellow old-timers instruct me in the proper method of opening the Honeywell Strobonar 772?

merci beaucoup de South Louisiana, la maison des acadiens.
Sid Barras

10-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
There is a manual for the Honeywell 770 here, maybe yours opens the same way:

Honeywell auto Strobonar 65c, 460, 480,600, 660,, 700, 770, 800, 882 instruction manual, user manual, free instruction manual, pdf manuals
10-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a couple of those potato mashers and seem to remember that the battery tray has a small internal catch on each
side that holds it onto the head. Squeezing both tabs together simultaneously with thumb and forefinger should
release the catches and allow you to slide the battery tray out the back of the head.
10-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys! Opens right up when you know how! The batteries are intact. I was afraid it wouldn't open coz of battery leakage and resultant corrosion. But everything is super clean. There's even a Honeywell service label inside and boy how weird is this: it's dated 11/19/1975. I've opened a "time capsule" on its 42nd anniversary. Now, gotta look into replacements.

Again, many thanks.
Vous avez tous été très utile!
Sid Barras

10-20-2017, 05:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sidbarras Quote
Thanks guys! Opens right up when you know how! The batteries are intact. I was afraid it wouldn't open coz of battery leakage and resultant corrosion. But everything is super clean. There's even a Honeywell service label inside and boy how weird is this: it's dated 11/19/1975. I've opened a "time capsule" on its 42nd anniversary. Now, gotta look into replacements.

Again, many thanks.
Vous avez tous été très utile!
Sid Barras
...except it's October now, not November!
08-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #6

Were you successful in replacing the batteries? I have at 782 with remote strobo eye. Just took the batteries out and internals look good.