Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2017, 08:14 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Cactus set to Relase New Firmware the Cactus V6ii for Pentax

Cactus will be releasing new firmware for the Cactus V6ii for Pentax TTL with their RF60X and RF60 flashes shortly.

Personally have tested the beta software with both the RF60X and RF60 flashes. Plus tested the beta firmware using two Cactus V6ii with a Godox V860ii (N) mounted in the hot shoe of the camera Cactus V6ii and it worked flawlessly in both TTL and HSS to 1/8000 of a second.

Also tested it with a Godox AD600, AD360 and Elinchrom D-Lite 2 RX using two Cactus V6ii. One attached to the strobes with a sync cord to the strobe and the other in camera hot shoe. HSS synced to 1/8000 of the second in this mode. Of course there is no TTL in this mode, and stacking the triggers is not supported by Cactus. To control the power I carry along a Godox or Elinchrom trigger depending on the flash system in use.

Watch Cactus web site for the official release of firmware PEN.A.001, RF60 A01, RF60X A01 soon.

11-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #2

Awesome! I've been waiting for this update. Glad to hear the beta version has worked so well.
11-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How can exposure metering happen without body / flash communication ? I got myself an RF60 and V6 which was supposed to be PTTL , and it isn't.
11-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How can exposure metering happen without body / flash communication ? I got myself an RF60 and V6 which was supposed to be PTTL , and it isn't.
That isn't supposed to be pttl at all. It's a fully manual system. The ttl about is a way to program flashes to simulate fully manual remotely controlled flash output. I use an old signature made for canon that way along with an rf60.

11-04-2017, 01:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As I understand it, the "X-TTL" feature, bringing Radio P-TTL to the system, will work with a V6II transmitter and RF60X flashes, or digital TTL flashes (cross-brand) that are controlled by V6II receivers. The older V6 and RF60 models would continue to offer Radio Manual functioning.

The different types could be mixed together in the same set-up if wanted. The mode of the TTL flashes can he switched quickly between P-TTL and Manual from the Group buttons on the V6II Tx.

Last edited by mcgregni; 11-04-2017 at 01:47 AM.
11-04-2017, 02:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there‘s a misunderstanding. V6 uses the PTTL power signal to remotely but manually setting the flashes light emission. If a PTTL flash does understand analog TTL signals it can be learnd to work in the system by creating a dedicated V6 flash profile. Although a bit tricky I did it for my AF201FG. Some profiles are delivered by Cactus. I guess there isn‘t any significant communication between camera and the V6 units but fire. Unfortunately this system doesn‘t work with my Metz 52 AF-1 pentax version because it‘s fully digital. But it should work with the V6II. I don’t own these items so can’t test.

The V6II system seems to work digital having some real camera system dependent communication. In my understanding the „X firmware“ will especially extend by TTL operation mode and support manufacturer specific TTL HSS features of the flashes. That‘s why for each manufacturer a specific firmware extension is needed. Other systems than Pentax are already supported. The system allows mixing HSS supporting flash units of different manufacturers within such a cactus V6II setup. If there are also V6 units included within the setup they are only manually wireless controlled.

Last edited by acoufap; 11-04-2017 at 03:13 AM.
11-04-2017, 03:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
As I understand it, the "X-TTL" feature, bringing Radio P-TTL to the system, will work with a V6II transmitter and RF60X flashes, or digital TTL flashes (cross-brand) that are controlled by V6II receivers. The older V6 and RF60 models would continue to offer Radio Manual functioning.

The different types could be mixed together in the same set-up if wanted. The mode of the TTL flashes can he switched quickly between P-TTL and Manual from the Group buttons on the V6II Tx.
You have to upgrade the firmware for the Cactus V6ii and RF60 from the Cactus website before the TTL function will work.

11-04-2017, 03:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I was very pleased and surprised to discover that a firmware update had allowed my older RF60 to work in HSS mode triggered by the V6II .... This gave me a well priced 2-flash Manual HSS system.

Are you sure about the RF60 being able to operate in TTL mode though? I believe I read the Cactus rep Antonio specifically rule it out, because it has the older V6 type transceiver inside. Of course I'd be delighted again if you were right!

I agree with your layout of the different TTL system types and how they enable the V6II vs V6 to work. Yes, the older one latched onto the analogue protocol to take over Manual power level control. The newer system uses the digital protocol from the specific camera TTL system, and the V6II has the extra contacts for the hotshoe to communicate this
11-04-2017, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You will have to purchase a Cactus V6ii and load the firmware for Pentax in order to perform TTL function with the RF60. Note you will also have to up date the firmware for the RF60 too. The older V6 is not being updated.
11-04-2017, 04:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
You will have to purchase a Cactus V6ii and load the firmware for Pentax in order to perform TTL function with the RF60. Note you will also have to up date the firmware for the RF60 too. The older V6 is not being updated.
Thanks for the clarification.
11-04-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

https://www.cactus-image.com/community/discussion/1599/will-the-original-rf6...he-ttl-upgrade

sorry, I'm behind the times here! Just checked things at Cactus Community forum and indeed the RF60 is going to get a firmware update for X-TTL, after everything else is done. Thanks to the OP here for pointing this out, more good value from Cactus!
11-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #12

Nice move Cactus... Good to see someones on our wicket...
11-07-2017, 05:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Cactus have released the X-TTL firmware for Pentax.
11-05-2023, 09:08 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Some question on a product, that doesn't exist any more. Does anybody have the FW PEN.A.001 available? Can the FW be applied to a Cactus running on a different system?

I have 3 of them which I usually use. Now one doesn't work any more, but I could get 2 Cactus configured on a different system. I hope by applying the Pentax Cactus software, I could make use of them.