Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2017, 05:25 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Cactus V6II -- Pentax version of the X-TTL firmware available

Cactus have released the Pentax version for their "X-TTL" firmware variant.

If you own a V6II, just use the firmware updater (for Windows or for Mac) and look for a firmware version for Pentax with the letter "A" in it.

The new firmware unlocks P-TTL capabilities, including automated metering with HSS and second-curtain sync.

Sadly, the "X" in "X-TTL" is not really justified because one may only use Pentax-compatible flashes or RF60(x) flashes. In other words, there is no cross-brand compatibility with Canon, Nikon, etc. flashes. During beta testing, automated metering worked exceptionally well, though.

RF60(x) flashes require a firmware update to cooperate with the "X-TTL" firmware for the V6II but then support P-TTL.

The old "multi-brand" firmware is still available. You'll want it, if you want to use the same trigger on different camera systems or depend on controlling flashes for other flash systems (Canon, Nikon, etc.).

Last edited by Class A; 11-07-2017 at 05:37 AM.
11-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there any word on if the X will come back in the future?
11-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is there any word on if the X will come back in the future?
I wouldn't expect it.

A couple of beta testers were asking the same question but Cactus says there are technical barriers.
11-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even for non ttl use? I use the version 6 triggers today and control multiple brands - I would love to add pttl to the mix but not at the expense of manual cross brand control. I can live with a lack of ttl cross brand. Having a radio wireless way to trigger pttl flashes would still be a nice to have add on.

11-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I use the version 6 triggers today and control multiple brands - I would love to add pttl to the mix but not at the expense of manual cross brand control.
The V6II with the standard multi-brand firmware still allows multi-brand control (including HSS). Note that older analogue TTL flash models (like the Nikon SB-24, for instance) are not supported by the V6II. If you have one of those, the V6 is the right choice for you.

I'm not sure about the X-TTL variant for Pentax. It is possible that it is only meant to support Pentax-dedicated flashes (including those from Metz, for instance) and the Cactus flashes. If I were you, I'd post a question to the Cactus community forum.
11-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #6

Does anyone have experience with the AF assist feature of the Cactus V6II? I'm looking at getting this + two Cactus flash units for my K1 and wondering if this would be an advantage at all.

It says on their site that the AF assist light works when the camera sends out an corresponding signal.
11-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks @Class A. I can't wait to start playing with this!

11-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Really good news! I'm delighted that Cactus have brought this free update to Pentax flash users and really widened the competition for off-camera P-TTL. Looking forward to getting updated and trying it out.
11-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Does anyone have experience with the AF assist feature of the Cactus V6II?
It turns on whenever the camera's AF-assist feature would turn on. That means, you'll have to use AF-S and you may wish the camera wouldn't be so hesitant to use it.

However, there is also a manual mode with which you can turn it on whenever you want it.

It is very neat that one can couple the receiver AF-assist lights with that of the transmitter. This gives one a remote-controlled AF-assist light for cases when the subject is far away. Of course, at least one receiver then would have to be near enough the subject and correctly oriented, but still this can be a nice way to avoid needing a VAAFAL (Voice-Activated AF-Assist Light -> assistant with a torchlight).

The V6II's AF-assist light is rather bright (much brighter than that of my Metz 58 AF-2 or the K-1's) and you can select a brightness level in case you don't need its full power. As a slight negative, it only provides even illumination. Many AF-assist light solutions use some kind of structured pattern in order to give the camera's AF system something to lock on even if surfaces are rather smooth. However, in my (limited) testing, I found no issues due to the lack of a structured AF-assist light.
11-08-2017, 12:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

So basically I can have my Metz 58 AF-2 far away and still work as if it was sitting on my camera. I have two V6II. Cool.
I have to find time to do the update.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

The V6II's AF-assist light is rather bright (much brighter than that of my Metz 58 AF-2 or the K-1's) and you can select a brightness level in case you don't need its full power. As a slight negative, it only provides even illumination. Many AF-assist light solutions use some kind of structured pattern in order to give the camera's AF system something to lock on even if surfaces are rather smooth. However, in my (limited) testing, I found no issues due to the lack of a structured AF-assist light.
This. I found it to be very intrusive. I was looking forward to a more structured pattern but it was even illumination which always might distract someone, because they obvious can see a light pointed at them.
11-08-2017, 05:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just all be aware that this added TTL functionality requires a V6II as transmitter, with the new Pentax X-TTL firmware installed. On the receiving end you can have either Cactus RF60X flashes (no V6II needed), or Pentax Dedicated System (P-TTL) flashes with a V6II as receiver (with the same Pentax version X-TTL firmware installed as on the Tx). You can mix RF60X's with P-TTL system flashes within the setup.

We can't get TTL functioning from non Pentax system flashes (eg Nikon or Canon flashes). If you need to keep using these sort of flashes then just maintain the earlier firmwares for Remote Manual Control, Zoom and Manual mode HSS.

Cactus have said they will release new X-TTL firmware for the older RF60 flash, and this is expected next year, maybe in the 2nd or 3rd Quarters.

Finally, the original V6 transveiver is not compatible for X-TTL, not as a Tx or Rx unit. We could still include V6 receivers in a setup using X-TTL, but the group they are working on will remain Manual mode only.

Last edited by mcgregni; 11-08-2017 at 05:11 AM.
11-08-2017, 06:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Cactus have said they will release new X-TTL firmware for the older RF60 flash, and this is expected next year, maybe in the 2nd or 3rd Quarters.
That updated firmware already exists. No need to wait.
11-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Great! Things are moving faster than expected. I hope to get my V6II, RF60X and RF60 updated soon and put it all to the test.
11-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote

This. I found it to be very intrusive. I was looking forward to a more structured pattern but it was even illumination which always might distract someone, because they obvious can see a light pointed at them.
Are there any alternative brand transmitters that have a better AF assist light pattern and can do HHS? I'm completely flashless at the moment so looking to buy into a 'system' for winter.
11-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Are there any alternative brand transmitters that have a better AF assist light pattern and can do HHS?
Definitely not for Pentax.

I'm not convinced, BTW, that other AF-assist lights are less intrusive than that of the Cactus V6II. If you catch a bright part of a grid with your eye, it will be intrusive as well. At least one can reduce the intensity on the V6II: it goes rather low. I don't know any other system that supports that.