Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Bowens Prolite 120 and the Pentax K1

I was given this amazing flash, c. 1993 but mint condition - looks like this

I am using it with a reflector and an umbrella and the results are great. It is massively powerful so I am using it on minimum power.

It can be cable triggered or work as a slave flash. I measured the open circuit voltage on the trigger cable at 14V so this is not one of the old Metz45 variants with a 150V+ voltage which destroys cameras

The flash came with a long trigger cable which is terminated on the standard miniature coax plug.

It works fine with the cable going direct to a hotshoe adapter on the K1

but it doesn't work via a RF602 radio link

even though I have checked with a meter that the receiver does act as a relay contact, on the hot shoe shown.

Another way might be a cable from the RF602 receiver (as the one shown above but with a 1/4" jack plug on it) but I don't have one and can't see one for sale. But that may not work either because I bet the receiver cable is just wired to the hotshoe contact.

Is there a radio trigger which is likely to work from the K1 to the Bowens flash?

Also doesn't the K1 have an internal radio transmitter which could be used?

11-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Also doesn't the K1 have an internal radio transmitter which could be used?

I can just answer that last one, which is "No". There is no in-built Wireless flash capability on the K1.
11-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Forum Member

Triggering these lights with a Yongnuo RF603 trigger/receiver with a Jack lead into the Prolite will work perfectly. I have fired mine for many years this way...

The Wansen PTY-16 triggers also work very well.
11-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Which RF603 would you suggest? They seem to do about 10 variants. Also it now looks like the transmitter and receiver look the same. Also I wonder whether the 1/4" jack adaptor is anything special. I think I got one with the RF602 but can't find it anymore.

Edit: I think I have found one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-DIGITAL-LS-PC635-STUDIO-FLASH-Black/dp/B007KA3LQS

Last edited by peterh337; 11-08-2017 at 02:12 PM.
11-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #5
Forum Member

In the Yongnuo both receiver and trigger do look the same. "RF603II C1" Remember the cable will also have to 6.3mm Jack adapter to fit the Prolite connection..

The Wansen trigger is also good as it can be attached to the Prolite mounting bracket. (It has a very convenient hole drilled in it )

---------- Post added 08-11-17 at 05:54 PM ----------

WANSEN PT-16GY 16 Channels Radio Wireless Remote: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

SODIAL 3.5mm to Male PC Flash Sync Cable Screw Lock for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

HDE Metal Hot Shoe 1/4"-20 Thread Screw Post Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
11-09-2017, 02:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I ordered the 1/4" cable initially, in case the RF602 works with it. If it doesn't I will order the RF603.

Incidentally I wonder why nobody has developed a compact hotshoe mounted master flash unit for triggering flashes, and for sending the data to slave flashes. It would use LEDs, not a flash tube.

I have that SODIAL cable (your middle link above); it came with the RF602. In fact about 3 of them, with a diffing number of poles on the 2.5mm or 3.5mm jack plug. One of them is for use as a remote camera shutter trigger (the K1 takes a 2.5mm 2 pole plug, IIRC) and I have used the RF602 mainly for that and it works fine (for astro work or any other "B" mode work, it is desirable).
11-09-2017, 07:04 AM   #7
Forum Member

RF602 will work perfectly.. I just stated RF603 as its the latest model... The Yongnuo triggers are just more difficult to attach, as they have no screw thread underneath. Like the Wansen receivers. So are usually just left dangling from the jack point...

Last edited by stub; 11-09-2017 at 06:46 PM.