Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2017, 07:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Is Conomark only looking at a studio strobe type light? I really favour the concept of a system that offers up a studio strobe, PLUS a hotshoe type flash( RF60x), both sharing the same core functioning and sync modes, both with integrated Receiver working on the same radio system, and both controlled remotely from a single Tx unit (V6II).

That kind of versatility,economy and ease of use is something I think most here would find attractive. You could head out with the studio unit but have a couple of flashes in the bag ready to go if some extra lights are needed, and the set-up would be quick and it could all be pre-configured and ready to operate instantly from the single V6II.

As I said, it seems to me that Cactus are just one step away from that scenario, and that's the Studio Strobe needed.

11-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Is Conomark only looking at a studio strobe type light?
To the best of my knowledge Cononmark is not in the business of producing speedlights.

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I really favour the concept of a system that offers up a studio strobe, PLUS a hotshoe type flash( RF60x), both sharing the same core functioning and sync modes, ...
Yes, same here.

There is a place for both solutions and having one trigger to "rule them all" is ideal.

Godox has such a system in place already, alas not for Pentax.
11-14-2017, 04:29 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I hope there is a timeline about this.
Antonio Lao, Cactus' brand manager replied to my question about the timeline:
"...hopefully by the end of 2018 to early 2019".
Now, that's still quite a bit of time, but I for one am very excited!
11-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Antonio Lao, Cactus' brand manager replied to my question about the timeline:
"...hopefully by the end of 2018 to early 2019".
Now, that's still quite a bit of time, but I for one am very excited!
Thanks for finding out about this. This probably means that it might actually be mid 2019. Plans never run on time

In any case I will see what my needs for next year are then decide what to do.

11-17-2017, 05:56 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Hello,

I think that the development of such strobe is interesting, but quite late for me. Last year I decided to use mainly one kind of strobes and triggers, and I chose Godox. So my main strobes and flashes are now Godox (AD360, AD200 & V850). I use only manual strobes and a main P-TTL flash for fill when needed. I'm selling my old triggers and flashes.
Godox developed recently the new XPro trigger that allows to control groups easily, so now finally I have a solution to control power remotely and control groups, enable/disable strobes... all on the same device. I'll buy this trigger soon to check if it works with my camera, but I'm sure it will work.
I'll keep my V6II for HSS and maybe got a RF60X too, to use as my main (P-TTL) flash... or just because it seems so nice with all these buttons and its 1.9s recycle time.
I was thinking seriously to use a manual flash on camera for fill, either the RF60X or the V850II (with its Lithium battery). My Metz AF48 is still fine, and recharges in about 4s after a full flash, that is near the specifications. But when I need to fire quickly several times it starts to suffer. My V850 is way superior if you just need power and fire quickly.

About the AD200, in my opinion is a great strobe, so portable, powerfull enough. It's my main strobe now.
Cactus strobe may be better, maybe not, maybe you can control X-TTL from a Pentax camera, maybe not. I have NOW my AD200 and is a great strobe.

Anyway, choose what was better for your needs and enjoy it

Regards.
11-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #21
Veteran Member

There's no doubt that things are improving with the choices we have available. The Cactus X-TTL upgrade brings a quality option for Radio TTL to Pentax, of a type only previously available to users of Canon, Nikon, Sony etc systems.