Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2017, 04:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Are Cactus working on a strobe?

Someone at the Cactus community forum suggested that Cactus develop a 500Ws studio strobe and the response by Cactus appears to indicate that they are indeed looking into developing such a strobe. Cactus made an even more direct comment a short while ago.

I'd highly welcome such a development because even though the RF60 is great sometimes more power is really welcome. I use studio strobes through dangling Cactus receivers from them and that works great, but it doesn't give me remote power level control from the transmitter unit on my camera.

So I hope Cactus is serious about extending their flash/strobe portfolio because I really like their triggers and given the recent "X-TTL for Pentax" release, the new Cactus flash/strobe will probably support P-TTL for Pentax.

Last edited by Class A; 11-12-2017 at 02:42 AM. Reason: First link (to the discussion post) was incorrect.
11-10-2017, 05:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That is welcome news if really happens!

Last edited by fwbigd; 11-10-2017 at 06:04 AM.
11-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have just been thinking of getting the AD200. This will be great if cactus is actually planing on this.
That was a bold statement with a wink. I hope there is a timeline about this. Or at least let us know.

Culture.
11-10-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That would be awesome. I have 4 of the RF60s and I'd love to have at least one flash with a lot more power to easily defeat the sun.. It just opens up so many more options for locations and time of day you are shooting. And I would assume they would make it work with their v6ii triggers which are incredible.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Someone at the Cactus community forum suggested that Cactus develop a 500Ws studio strobe and the response by Cactus appears to indicate that they are indeed looking into developing such a strobe. Cactus made an even more direct comment a short while ago.

I'd highly welcome such a development because even though the RF60 is great sometimes more power is really welcome. I use studio strobes through dangling Cactus receivers from them and that works great, but it doesn't give me remote power level control from the transmitter unit on my camera.

So I hope Cactus is serious about extending their flash/strobe portfolio because I really like their triggers and given the recent "X-TTL for Pentax" release, the new Cactus flash/strobe will probably support P-TTL for Pentax.

11-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

Something to rival the Godox ad600 would be a benefit.... That Pentax users can get the full benefit from Though I fear matching the price may be difficult for Cactus..
11-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

I just doubled my RF60 number from 2 to 4, so having the strobe option (given it'd be compatible with rest of the system obviously hehe) would give nice roadmap for the future.
11-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If Cactus would do this and produce an X-TTL strobe with integrated V6II type receiver, HSS plus a lithium battery pack, they could wipe the floor clean of all competition in this area for Pentax users ..... Just as I believe the X-TTL upgrade to the V6II and RF60/x flashes has now done the same for those needing a Radio Manual/P-TTL "speedlite" solution.

We would never have to endure the horrors of yet another thread about "trigger stacking" again !

Last edited by mcgregni; 11-10-2017 at 04:18 PM.
11-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Its been 22 hours since my last post above, and not one person wants to challenge it ??!! (Ok, admitting here to slightly deliberate provocation .... well I thought it was provocation ...... all in the interests of fully constructive, intellectual, witty and enlightened debate of course, which we always get on here anyway, right ?! ) ....
11-11-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
If Cactus would do this and produce an X-TTL strobe with integrated V6II type receiver, HSS plus a lithium battery pack, they could wipe the floor clean of all competition in this area for Pentax users ..... Just as I believe the X-TTL upgrade to the V6II and RF60/x flashes has now done the same for those needing a Radio Manual/P-TTL "speedlite" solution.

We would never have to endure the horrors of yet another thread about "trigger stacking" again !
That was a matter of fact statement that I think we all agree which therefore did not need any debate.

Personally I would prefer that Cactus makes a clear statement about this.
When Cactus annouced the X-TTL plan back then, it was not clear. So I ordered the Acon Triggers.
The explanation came later, I returned my Acon triggers without even using them, and up till now I still havent got my money refunded.

I have been thinking of getting the AD200 for a more powerful flash. If Class A hadnt created this thread which he found the info embedded in a comment, I might have been making my decision soon. Now I am in limbo.
11-12-2017, 02:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I have been thinking of getting the AD200 for a more powerful flash.
Knowing Cactus, I believe they'll come up with something better than the AD200. Horses for courses, obviously, so for some people the AD200 may be unbeatable. However, personally, I'd like to see something with more power and of course I don't want to do any trigger stacking or lose remote power control.

If Class A hadnt created this thread which he found the info embedded in a comment, I might have been making my decision soon. Now I am in limbo.
I'm not sure whether I did you a favour.

I'm confident that Cactus have more than just an idea in their head, otherwise their messages wouldn't make sense, but I have no idea about the timeline. I'll ask on the community forum.
11-12-2017, 02:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That was a matter of fact statement that I think we all agree which therefore did not need any debate.
+1

I didn't see the slightest cause for contention in your message, mcgregni.
11-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

No contention then .... Perhaps I was expecting that there would be more die-hard proponents of the alternatives who might have something to say

Maybe its really mostly about the convenience, price and ease of use, and not any fan-boyism . Anyone who managed to develop a Studio strobe with the qualities I listed, plus full integration with an HSS / P-TTL trigger, and that trigger had full P-TTL / HSS compatibility with good economical hotshoe flashes within the same system ..... well they'd be onto a winner. Cactus have now got everything there apart from the strobe. As such they're probably the closest anyone is to that complete scenario.
11-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #13

Havn't Conomark already got one on the market ? and trigger ....!! Personally I'll miss the trigger integration frustration..
11-12-2017, 10:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

For me the main thing will be portability. if it is anything close to the AD200 that will be great.
I need to easily carry it in my bag when going to shoot a wedding.

edit: I forgot cheap.
11-13-2017, 12:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stub Quote
Havn't Conomark already got one on the market ? and trigger ....!!
Yes, there is a thread on the announcement.