Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Portable Studio Suggestions & Equipment

As I continue to learn and evolve with photography so does my desire to try and maximize this small business venture.
I live in a small two bedroom cottage, no sheds, workshops or garages. I've tried small lightboxes before, and I usually feel constrained within the box perimeter, typically I find the backgrounds supplied too reflective as well (and this of course is just photographing small objects and not people.
I discovered black fleece, has excellent non reflective properties and enjoy controlling the light and leaving the object illuminated and the background almost non existent. This sometimes involves having the object being photographed shot with a wide aperture and the black fleece quite far away, so that the background fleece is strongly blurred/bokeh, shadows cast from any lighting would also be reduced due to the distance involved between target and background.

This experience has made me consider how I might approach amassing equipment for a portable portrait style photography rig, with the intention of shooting not objects but people, newborns and even pets.
Large pieces of fleece, white, grey and black with a blackout lining may be useful, and possibly even used out door, but how to hold it up... hmmm...
From what I have learned in terms of small object lightbox photography it might be that I would need very large sheets indeed, indeed if I want the subject a good few feet from the background.

It may be that I would like to offer my photography services 'mobile' and set up in peoples homes and I just wondered if this is already a 'thing' and you should check x, y and z out, or whether a lot of this stuff the client comes to you, to your studio... which I cannot currently offer.

Anyone doing this kinda thing and wants to weigh in with their 2 cents, please wade in

TIA,

Bruce

11-11-2017, 05:32 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I turned my garage into the studio couple of years back with cheap strobes, home depo wood floor and large white bed sheets. For location work, i have been relying on 5 yongnuo yn 560s.

However, on-location and mobile studio thing seem to be very popular in my area and i rarely use or needed to upgrade my garage studio.
In past 1.5 years, i bought a couple of collapsible backgrounds and they have been phenomenal! Do you need some rustic backdrop? boom, clean white that also works as a reflector? here you go sir. I do carry a couple of "sheets" and home depo wood floors around for baby photos though.

Also recently i stopped and wrote what i need and might need in the future and after doing an extensive research decided to move into Godox system. Haven't received my AD600s yet but the idea of having various strobes, monolights, flashguns all with built-in transceivers capable of doing hss + ttl and can be controlled via the same transmitter seems like a superb idea.

Oh and build some "flags", those black pieces of foam/board help so much when you want to control the light or block a window and practically costs pennies to make one.
11-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For on location, inexpensive backdrop stands and backdrops are readily available. I have a set with Black and Blue backdrops that combined cost less than $100 new. Work beautifully. The flash kits I use are an ancient cheap manual set with optical triggers in the heads that I bought from Adorama, including snoots and umbrellas, and I use a flash meter to set the exposure. I trigger with the on board flash or my AF 540. Any inexpensive flash that can be turned down to not affect the exposure will work as a trigger.