Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quick Flash Choice Help

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I posted this under the 'deals' section, am double posting over here in case someone can just assist with narrowing down the choice of flash I should select (from this one dealer) before the 15th November (when the deal ends).

Basically I have a perfectly fine AF540FGZII, but am heading towards events now where I need to have backup equipment. I cannot afford a second AF540FGZII, but noticed the following flashes from this dealer on sale;

METZ ? MECABLITZ 24AF-1 DIGITAL ? TO SUIT PENTAX | eBay

METZ M400 FLASH WITH BUILT-IN LED ? PENTAX FIT | eBay

METZ MECABLITZ 44 AF-2 DIGITAL FLASH ? PENTAX FIT | eBay

METZ 26AF-2 FLASH TO SUIT PENTAX | eBay

What I'm looking for is that one of these flashes does HSS, with a K-1 and KP, can be used as a Slave also in the whole trigger flash thingy majig. I'm also looking to spend the lease amount possible.

So I'm thinking the METZ MECABLITZ 44 AF-2 would be an acceptable backup choice, it's also not too expensive. From what I gather what it can't do is LED for video, but that's ok.

So can anyone weigh in here and advise me, is this choice ok? Or is the M400 worth the extra price? What does it have over the 44?

TIA!

Bruce

11-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is no longer maintained:
Feature Tables - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

But the info about what to look for could help. Also the 44 AF-1 wasn't able to do mastering mode on P-TTL - does the AF-2 version?
11-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
What I'm looking for is that one of these flashes does HSS, with a K-1 and KP, can be used as a Slave also in the whole trigger flash thingy majig. I'm also looking to spend the lease amount possible.

So I'm thinking the METZ MECABLITZ 44 AF-2 would be an acceptable backup choice, it's also not too expensive. From what I gather what it can't do is LED for video, but that's ok.

So can anyone weigh in here and advise me, is this choice ok? Or is the M400 worth the extra price? What does it have over the 44?
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Also the 44 AF-1 wasn't able to do mastering mode on P-TTL - does the AF-2 version?
I think the Metz 44 AF-2 is a totally acceptable backup AND it does have an LED light for video.

The advantages of the M400 include:
a) Variable power down to 1/256 vs. 1/64.
b) Bounce head from -9 to 90 degrees vs. 0-90 degrees
c) Swivel 360 degrees vs. 300 degrees
d) Max recycle time as slow as 3.2 secs vs. 4 secs.
e) 3 wireless groups vs. 1 wireless group
f) 220g vs. 306 grams (and smaller)
g) The video light has 6 different levels vs. 4 levels & I think stronger at 100 lux max output.

The advantages of the 44 AF-2 include:
a) about $50 less expensive
b) more powerful guide number of 144 vs. 131

I have the 44 AF-2 and personally, I don't need any of the additional features of the M400 and prefer the higher power for bouncing the flash.

UncleV: The 44 AF-2 still does not work as a master; only as a slave as is the case with the M400. Need a Pentax flash if an external is needed as a master.
11-12-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I'm looking for is that one of these flashes does HSS, with a K-1 and KP,
can be used as a Slave also in the whole trigger flash thingy majig
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I think the Metz 44 AF-2 is a totally acceptable backup AND it does have an LED light for video.
Does the 44 AF-2 support HSS, both local and remote?

P-TTL wireless Master/Commander or slave only?

Manual only for RF wireless?

11-12-2017, 04:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Does the 44 AF-2 support HSS, both local and remote?

P-TTL wireless Master/Commander or slave only?

Manual only for RF wireless?
Yes it does have High Speed Sync HSS. I only own one of these and I have not tested if HSS will work remotely, but if the master does, I don't see why the remote wouldn't either.

For wireless it's a slave only.
RF as in Radio Frequency or Remote Firing? For remote firing it will P-TTL.

Here's the link for the 44 AF-2. English starts on page 98:

https://www.metz-mecatech.de/index.php?eID=tx_nawsecuredl&u=0&file=fileadmin...b5f8a8de6502b8
11-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm wondering if the M400 is worth the extra $, I mean it seems quite a bit smaller and lighter...
11-12-2017, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm wondering if the M400 is worth the extra $, I mean it seems quite a bit smaller and lighter...
Bruce, Only you, the photographer/user, can answer this. Look at my post #3. If those features are more important to your than $50 and more power, then yes the M400 is worth it.

For most photographers, all these details are splitting hairs, and it really comes down to either cost, power, or a list of features.

As a backup, it makes sense that you'd want a smaller/lighter flash. When I'm on a pro shoot, however, I always took a duplicate unit. Under stress, the last thing I want is to lose time thinking about another unit, how it works differently than what I'm used to, etc. The Pentax AF360FGZ II is essentially a smaller version of your primary flash, and does everything you want, but is still out of your budget.

This is a backup flash, so you have to ask yourself, which acquisition would you regret the most?

Have you considered the Bolt VS-570P Wireless TTL Flash for Pentax? It's cheap and does everything you want except no video light. I wouldn't trust it as my primary flash, but should be fine as a backup.
Bolt VS-570P Wireless TTL Flash for Pentax/Samsung VS-570P B&H

11-12-2017, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Bruce, Only you, the photographer/user, can answer this. Look at my post #3. If those features are more important to your than $50 and more power, then yes the M400 is worth it.

For most photographers, all these details are splitting hairs, and it really comes down to either cost, power, or a list of features.

As a backup, it makes sense that you'd want a smaller/lighter flash. When I'm on a pro shoot, however, I always took a duplicate unit. Under stress, the last thing I want is to lose time thinking about another unit, how it works differently than what I'm used to, etc. The Pentax AF360FGZ II is essentially a smaller version of your primary flash, and does everything you want, but is still out of your budget.

This is a backup flash, so you have to ask yourself, which acquisition would you regret the most?

Have you considered the Bolt VS-570P Wireless TTL Flash for Pentax? It's cheap and does everything you want except no video light. I wouldn't trust it as my primary flash, but should be fine as a backup.
Bolt VS-570P Wireless TTL Flash for Pentax/Samsung VS-570P B&H
Yep, the 360 is just a tad more than I'd like to spend.

Right now I'm guessing weight factor, perhaps spending that tad more will give me a lighter flash to use for the foreseeable future. And no.. I had no idea about the Bolt 570, looks good and with a $40 discount currently, shame I just put in a B&H order recently (I live in Australia so shipping can increase the price and be a turn off, less of an issue when buying multiples).

I only linked those aforementioned flashes off DCExperts eBay store as they have 20% off and I also have a $30 off eBay voucher to burn before I lose that on the 30th this month. I have 2 more days to decide before the DCExpert sale is over.

I just want to say thanks so much for helping, you've been incredibly awesum.

EDIT: Went with the 44

Last edited by BruceBanner; 11-17-2017 at 08:07 PM.