Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HSS with trigger only signal (e.g. P67 + Cactus)

I'm wondering is there a way to go past older cameras fastest sync with new HSS flashes? E.g. P67 with its 1/30 without going to leaf shutter lenses.

I'm thinking of somehow the radio trigger giving the HSS signal towards the flash. Tried to read the manuals, but can't figure out how would it go.

I've got Cactus RF60'ies and Cactus V5 and V6 triggers. Can invest in V6ii (or any other system) if this helps anything.

11-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #2

The only way for these cameras is the use of LS-Lenses or permanent (Halogen/LED) light instead of flash light

From my experience a distance of 3 stops between ambient and flash light is enough to be ok even with 1/30 of a second for most subjects
11-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm, interesting..
Maybe I should say my real target, which is the old Graflex camera with a focal plane cloth shutter. Just used P67 as the example, as were in Pforums, heh. Thinking of how to combine flash with this guy. Its slowest time (largest simultaneous exposure to the film) is around 1/10sec, and now I'm thinking of is there a way to use modern flash with this.

The old timers used flash which burned for all the time. Maybe need to start hunting for some long-burning magnesium..
11-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe there are leaf shutter equipped p67 lenses as well. Set the body to the sync speed or slower, trigger the flash off the pc port on the lens iirc.

11-16-2017, 06:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ppohja Quote
Can invest in V6ii (or any other system) if this helps anything.
An HSS-capable trigger only helps, if the camera supports P-TTL.

The camera needs to provide a pre-sync signal. Without that, no trigger can initiate an HSS flash quickly enough.

If your camera supports cable (electronic) shutter-release, you could try the "starter pistol method". That would require three triggers, but does not depend on P-TTL.
11-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
An HSS-capable trigger only helps, if the camera supports P-TTL.

The camera needs to provide a pre-sync signal. Without that, no trigger can initiate an HSS flash quickly enough.

If your camera supports cable (electronic) shutter-release, you could try the "starter pistol method". That would require three triggers, but does not depend on P-TTL.
Okey, something along these lines was that I was looking for. Thanks!
11-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ppohja Quote
I'm wondering is there a way to go past older cameras fastest sync with new HSS flashes? E.g. P67 with its 1/30 without going to leaf shutter lenses.

I'm thinking of somehow the radio trigger giving the HSS signal towards the flash. Tried to read the manuals, but can't figure out how would it go.

I've got Cactus RF60'ies and Cactus V5 and V6 triggers. Can invest in V6ii (or any other system) if this helps anything.
No. Flash sync is a product of the speed of the shutter curtains. High speed sync as available on some more recent cameras is timed flash pulses as the shutter slit traverses the image plane. Cameras like the 6x7 lack the required circuitry to enable this.
I found with the 6x7 that the low sync speed wasn’t an impediment in the studio, and outdoors I used reflectors rather than flash so the slow sync speed wasn’t an issue. Eventually I did get both the 90 and 165mm leaf shutter lenses, but as often as not, I still used reflectors outdoors as the light was more predictable.