Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #1

Yesterday Metz confirmed they have no resources to fix the K-1 Bug

Hello

Yesterday I got an E-Mail from the Head of the Support Department that the will not be able to fix the Master/Slave Bug for their Flashes. They can not free any resources to find a solution to fix this bug. What will happen with futures new Cameras from Pentax?

I don't hope that one of the "Leading Independent Producers of Flashes" will stop the support for Pentax and other small cameras on the market. I am really afraid they are again in danger, to get bankrupt for a second time since 2014. The Strong selling Point for Metz was that they have Flashes for all popular Brands and not only CaNik :-(

I don't want to concentrate me on the Yongnuo and Godox Flashes, because their implementation of Pentax-Compatible is useless. I ordered this morning 4 pcs. of "cactus v6ii" to trigger my flashes and Studio-lights on the K-1

Gérard

11-14-2017, 12:46 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerard_Dirks Quote
I don't hope that one of the "Leading Independent Producers of Flashes" will stop the support for Pentax and other small cameras on the market. I am really afraid they are again in danger, to get bankrupt for a second time since 2014. The Strong selling Point for Metz was that they have Flashes for all popular Brands and not only CaNik :-(
That would be a really bad scenario!
11-14-2017, 03:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You know Pentax makes it's own flashes right?
11-14-2017, 03:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
I know! I have 9 Metz Flashes for Pentax and I don't want to throw them away. I bought a 360 to fire the slaves, that works but I don't like the Pentax Flash

11-14-2017, 03:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't want to concentrate me on the Yongnuo and Godox Flashes, because their implementation of Pentax-Compatible is useless.
I think you are being a bit hard on a Godox here given they only offer a manual exposure offering for Pentax at the moment and they do manual exposure well.

If you are willing to use Godox triggers and receivers you can also add HSS with the addition of one Cactus V6 II so you don't have to fork out extra money for Cactus V6 II's.

V6 II's aren't cheap and I keep seeing posts of people using Godox flashes buying multiple V6II's where a cheaper and easier option is available. It's their own money but it seems a waste to me

Anyway hope Metz can sort out their problems.
11-14-2017, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone else here smell FUD? Because I smell FUD.
11-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
I think it says more about Metz than Pentax, unfortunately. The Metz company has gone through several insolvencies and has been split into two separate companies, one of which still makes the flashes. I guess they have to be cautious with their resources, particularly given the current competition.

I have a Metz AF 58 and I'm planning to buy a K-1 in a year's time or so, so I would be sad not to be able to use the flash anymore.

11-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently bought a Metz M400 to use with my K-1, but mainly because it's fairly powerful for its small(ish) size, as I already have an AF48. I wasn't aware of the slave issue with the K-1, so it's a pity I can't use them together. Fortunately, I'm not into using multiple flashes, so the matter will hopefully be resolved by the time I get around to it.
11-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
pid
Pentaxian

the only way the Metz Flashes work as Masterflash with the K-1 is if you use the APS-C Crop Mode. In FF and 1:1, the Masterflash function does not work. So if you want to use the flashes as Master you have to work in APS-C Crop Mode.
11-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello

Yesterday I got an E-Mail from the Head of the Support Department that the will not be able to fix the Master/Slave Bug for their Flashes. They can not free any resources to find a solution to fix this bug. What will happen with futures new Cameras from Pentax?

I don't want to concentrate me on the Yongnuo and Godox Flashes, because their implementation of Pentax-Compatible is useless. I ordered this morning 4 pcs. of "cactus v6ii" to trigger my flashes and Studio-lights on the K-1

Gérard
I did warn of this possibility, but @ClassA dismissed it!
11-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

He also has criticised the loss of the AF Assist beam on the original AF-540FGZ for K1 users. Many people find the original "red grid" type beam better, or preferable in practice, to the newer LED light type.

I can't think of a reason why the older flash couldn't be made to work it's AF Assist beam with the K1 ....it works on the older cameras , as does the newer type as well. However, we are talking about a flash model that's 12 years old I think? About that? Is it fair to expect ongoing full compatability between two electronic devices that are about 12 years apart in design?

The thing about Metz of course, is that the USB firmware update possibility is sold as a feature, a good to have ..... It gives the impression that your Metz flash will always be made to remain current .....
11-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
He also has criticised the loss of the AF Assist beam on the original AF-540FGZ for K1 users. Many people find the original "red grid" type beam better, or preferable in practice, to the newer LED light type.

I
Sorry, McGregni, but it makes it difficult to recommend a third party manufacturer who admit they they have trouble fixing bugs.

Class A's curious argument was that if the company provided good service to Pentax owners in the past it was ridiculous to think it could be different in the future!

11-28-2017, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Hello

Today I got a phone call from an technical engineer from Metz in Germany.

At this moment the Metz 64AF1 is full compatible to use it in Master Modus in Fullformat Mode of the K-1. This will be able to fire all the other Metz flashes in Slave Modus. He promised me that they will implement a solution for the Pentax K-1 in the beginning of 2018, and that will then for all Metz like, 48, 52, 58! Great Job!!!

Gérard
01-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bug?

Apologies for reviving an old thread. I missed the premise of the discussion. Is the "bug" just that the Metz will not funcition as a master? Is there any problem with P-TTL or Slave operation? Am I correct that they will work P-TTL on Cactus? Sorry for the string of questions. I came late to this feast.
01-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #15

Original Poster
Today I got a message from Metz in Germany that their will be on short time no firmware update for the different Metz flashes that will solve the issue that we can't use them as Master on the K-1

Let's hope their will be a new release? Maybe when Pentax will bring the K-3iii or the K-1ii :-(

Last edited by Gerard_Dirks; 02-07-2018 at 03:53 PM. Reason: error