Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2018, 06:25 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
YES YES YES and the same happens with nikon setup
OK, does the V6II receiver show 1/1 as the power level when you take a shot with the camera?
The receiver power levels should follow those you set on the transmitter.

Is the flash strength the same, whether you take a shot with the camera OR press the test button on the V6II transmitter (the one on the camera)?

(d800 and nissin 866II which is listed as compatible)
Well then the Nissin should also work, most likely even through auto detection.
It also should work with the Pentax camera, not just the D800.

The one aspect that is really important is to ensure that you turn on the flash first and then the V6II receiver. Does the V6II receiver recognise the flash when you choose "AUTO" detect?
If not, it could indicate a connection issue.

Normally, I'd always do a manual configuration, but for troubleshooting it can be good to use the AUTO settings on receiver and transmitter in order to see whether devices are properly recognised.

You could do a factory reset on all units and then report each setting that you manually change on each unit.

What I am after is manual power control 1/129, 1/64, 1/32 etc, with hss from the cactus unit attached to the camera and cross branding.
In that case, firmware version V1.1.013 is exactly right for you.

Once I set everything up the output is around half the power of the power given by flash set manually
Can you affect the flash power by changing the power levels on the V6II transmitter?
In other words, can you make the flashes produce less output by selecting 1/16, or 1/128 instead of 1/1?

You should be able to just use the test button on the transmitter unit to check whether the flash output levels change proportionally with the power settings on the transmitter.

If the flashes don't respond to power level changes, they are not being properly recognised or the flash system / flash profile configuration is not correct. Note that for the "Nikon flash" (the Nissin flash has "Nikon dedication", right?) you need to select "Nikon" as the flash system on the receiver and then the correct flash profile. This is true, even when you use the V6II transmitter on a Pentax camera.

Its worse in nikon setup - the flash contribution is barely visible.
Strange. Can you influence it using the power level control on the V6II transmitter?

I understand there is a small difference between full manual power and "full" P-TTL/i-TTL power. As the flashes on the V6II receivers have to be driven using P-TTL/i-TTL (in order to support remote power level control) you'll always have a small loss compared to a fully manual triggering. However, the difference should not be that big and in any event, the flash should respond to power level changes.

Yes, I did it before we start chatting here, tried different metz profiles as well
If you think it would help, feel free to post all relevant configuration settings for both transmitter and receiver. Then we could have a check whether we see anything wrong with it.

You could also post to the Cactus community forum, perhaps you'll find better help over there.

there is only one firmware available for this model with pentax mount
Are you sure that this is the only firmware version that was available ever? Perhaps, currently it is the only available one, but perhaps there have been others in the past?

Last edited by Class A; 05-25-2018 at 06:34 AM.
05-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
OK, does the V6II receiver show 1/1 as the power level when you take a shot with the camera?
yes it does and it fallows as i change it on the transmitter

does the V6II receiver show 1/1 as the power level when you take a shot with the camera?
The receiver power levels should follow those you set on the transmitter

it does fallows as i change it on the transmitter the same about zoom and aux af light also works

Is the flash strength the same, whether you take a shot with the camera OR press the test button on the V6II transmitter (the one on the camera)?
just checked with seconic and yes it is a exact much so regardless the flash is triggered by transceiver test button or camera shutter release it gives the same output. Checked how much power I have lost compared to setting the flash to manual and its double the aperture, hence if I set on cactus 1/1 of power it gives 1/4 output of the flash.

It also should work with the Pentax camera, not just the D800
and yes it does work with exactly same results more than three quarter of the flash power is being lost

Does the V6II receiver recognise the flash when you choose "AUTO" detect?
it does recognise nissin flash but not pentax since its metz

In that case, firmware version V1.1.013 is exactly right for you
this is something I know from the beginning.

You could do a factory reset on all units and then report each setting that you manually change on each unit
I did factory default reset already two days ago, and setting it up is pretty simple:

triggering unit: menu, camera & flash setup, camera system pentax, flash system pentax, custom setting off, flash profile metz 50-af1
receiver unit: menu, flash setup, flas system pentax, flash profile metz 50af-1
thats it

Are you sure that this is the only firmware version that was available ever?
no there are others but they aren't available, besides just checked nikon and other flash nissin mg8000 and situation is the same: huge underexposure, everything's works, zoom, power level indicator follows, aux light, and I got 1/32 power of the flash when I set 1/1 on the cactus trigger so its much worse then with pentax.

In other words, can you make the flashes produce less output by selecting 1/16, or 1/128 instead of 1/1?
yes man, its exactly whats happens, but the power output is always proportionally lower than if I set flash power on the flash itself.

So many problem for so much money, godox that is less than half the price, just relesed cross branding firmware so it probably will be a way to go....

---------- Post added 05-25-2018 at 04:46 PM ----------

You could also post to the Cactus community forum
thought about it but the level of conversation is really low there, its in style:
- my cactus doesn't work
- so perhaps you should turn it on it might help
- o men you are genius didn't thought about it...

Last edited by filorp; 05-25-2018 at 10:45 AM.
05-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Well then the Nissin should also work, most likely even through auto detection.
It also should work with the Pentax camera, not just the D800
it does if you can call as working situation where you get 1/4 of power instead of 1/1 with Pentax and 1/32 power with nikon. If I connect nissin with nikon mount and use it with Pentax body am getting 1/4 of the power.
05-25-2018, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
just checked with seconic and yes it is a exact much so regardless the flash is triggered by transceiver test button or camera shutter release it gives the same output. Checked how much power I have lost compared to setting the flash to manual and its double the aperture, hence if I set on cactus 1/1 of power it gives 1/4 output of the flash.
This is why i asked earlier if you were using a flash meter.

When using the Cactus units in manual mode (Flash units set to P-TTL) you cannot use a flash meter to gauge the output. This is because the Cactus system uses the P-TTL protocol. Your flash units will still be sending a pre-flash which will be recorded by the flash meter and the following actual flash will not be. If you use a flash meter you need to set the flash units to manual output themselves and not use the Cactus units to set the power (although the power setting should be left on 1/1)

05-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
When using the Cactus units in manual mode (Flash units set to P-TTL) you cannot use a flash meter to gauge the output. This is because the Cactus system uses the P-TTL protocol. Your flash units will still be sending a pre-flash which will be recorded by the flash meter and the following actual flash will not be. If you use a flash meter you need to set the flash units to manual output themselves and not use the Cactus units to set the power (although the power setting should be left on 1/1)
yes you right, that's why I can't use ir transmitter + light meter with nikon either, but the problem still remains - picture are still darker compared to traditional manual mode, I have used seconic just now when I was asked to determine what is the difference between exposures with full manual controll on the flash and on cactus. Initially I have detected the problem only via inspecting the photos on the camera screen. But we seems to going somewhere.... it looks like at least with nikon, only ittl pre-flash contributes to the exposure... That's looks like huge delay, can I correct it through the cactus delay/relay correction or this feature is only for power synch?

So I'v repeated test with eyeballing inspection it looks like when I set flash to manual 1/4 and fire, the exposure is the same when I set the flash to p-ttl and cactus to 1/1 of power.

Last edited by filorp; 05-25-2018 at 03:30 PM.
05-26-2018, 04:05 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Is it possible that you have a negative flash exposure compensation set on your flashes?

Perhaps the Cactus unit is instructing the flash to fire at full power but the flash then adds negative flash exposure compensation? A negative flash exposure compensation wouldn't apply in manual mode of course, which could explain the difference in power you are seeing.

Can't think of anything else, at the moment.

BTW, if you posted to the Cactus community forum, there is a very good chance that someone from Cactus would respond and try to sort the issue for you, even if it means fixing a bug in the firmware. A firmware bug, while possible, seems unlikely though, AFAIC, because if it were a case of "So many problem for so much money" for everyone then there would be a lot of complaints.
05-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Is it possible that you have a negative flash exposure
I usually have, but This time its ok, besides all those flashes works well when connected straight to camera hot shoe. Just got new usb wire and everything is fine I can do upgrade finally. I tell you what I do.... will send one of the unist to the seller (because its old with old type of hot shoe) and I will buy another two from someone else making sure its very recent units.... if it will not work I'll ask the cactus community.

then there would be a lot of complaints
you see... not necessarily, people usually can't be bother so much....

Thank you so much for your help guys

05-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You had nothing but problems with them because you tried to use them with incompatible equipment.

You wrote you used the Cactus V6 with the following models: Metz 48 AF-1, 58 AF-1, and 64 AF-1. None of these models are included in the list of supported flash models for the Cactus V6, assuming you have "Pentax dedicated" Metz models. The 58 AF-1 is supported as a "Canon dedicated" model but neither the 48 AF-1 nor the 64 AF-1 are specified to be compatible with the Cactus V6 in any dedication variant.

What makes you think that the Cactus V6 should work with your flash models, if they are not announced as supported?

As paulster correctly noted, Metz does not faithfully implement the Pentax protocol. This shows in a number of ways. Most interestingly, at least the Metz 48 AF-1 did work with the V6 until Metz broke the compatibility. Many Metz flash models supported both analogue TTL and digital TTL, but Metz once released a number of firmware updates which all silently removed the analogue TTL capability. That of course means that such models become unusable on older film cameras and other equipment that relies on the analogue TTL protocol. The Cactus V6 relies on the analogue TTL protocol for remote power control.

So if you want to blame someone, you should be looking at Metz. It is your decision to not "back-date my Metz flashes to work with the Cactus product" but you shouldn't blame Cactus. You have to realise that Cactus cannot release another firmware that fixes the problem. Some Metz flash models simply stopped cooperating and there is nothing that Cactus can do about it.

I think your analysis is flawed. The Cactus V6 remains one of the most robust products I've ever used. It works as described and has been gaining new few tricks through firmware updates.

I think your criticism of Cactus customer service is unwarranted. Perhaps share your bad experience with us. From my personal experience and from what I see at the Cactus community forum, their customer service is exemplary. Just as one example: When Nikon shipped the D750 with a non-conforming ISO hot-shoe, Cactus offered users free replacements of the male V6 hot-shoe connector. Clearly Nikon caused an incompatibility (that not only affected the V6 but many other gadgets as well, including some Nikon flashes) but Cactus was prepared to make up for it because they could.
I realize this is a older thread but I've been using a Metz 58AF-1 as a Metz 58AF-2 with V6 triggers successfully for some time now. The displayed output level on the Metz does not change but the actual flash output does. So as far as I'm concerned the complaints off Obin Robinson are at best foolish.
05-27-2018, 02:29 AM   #54

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by silverbow47 Quote
I realize this is a older thread but I've been using a Metz 58AF-1 as a Metz 58AF-2 with V6 triggers successfully for some time now. The displayed output level on the Metz does not change but the actual flash output does. So as far as I'm concerned the complaints off Obin Robinson are at best foolish.

The complaints are valid. Cactus' claims did not match reality. I clearly illustrated that their claim about the V6 being able to learn flash profiles was misleading. It did not work as advertised and I'm not the only one that had problems with the V6 performance when it did work. A competitor's product (Radiopopper) worked flawlessly whereas Cactus did not.

Obin
05-27-2018, 04:53 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
I clearly illustrated that their claim about the V6 being able to learn flash profiles was misleading.
You "demonstrated" what most people knew before, that not all flash models support creating flash profiles on the V6.

The V6 is not advertised as being able to create flash profiles for every existing flash model.

I can understand your disappointment that your flash models all were incompatible. What I don't understand is that you continue to spread misinformation after it has been pointed out to you that "may" does not equal "will" when it comes to the V6's ability to create flash profiles for models that are not natively supported.
05-27-2018, 05:37 PM - 3 Likes   #56
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cactus = garbage.
I consider the Cactus V6 system to be low grade electronic trash.
The complaints are valid. Cactus' claims did not match reality.
Obin, these comments of yours are what we call trolling. Please stop. We understand that you do not like the products but, I feel it has been amply demonstrated by others in this thread that you were expecting compatibility with other gear, compatibility not offered or advertised by Cactus.