Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #1

Pentax flash gun

Hi
My gear --- K3ii DA 16 - 50
Tamron 90mm
Pentax F 50mm
Pentax F 100 - 300

I've just upgraded to a K3ii and have been looking at flash guns as there is no built in flash. Although I like the GPS I still like to use flash outside for fill in, catch light and macro. I prefer natural light but there are times when you need a flash.
I like the look of the Pentax AF 360 FGZ 11 Flash but at £249. wonder if there is a cheaper option. I see Metz seem better value but the Pentax has a built in LED light which would be good for macro and catch light.
Another option is the Pentax AF 201 FG, as this is small and would be a good replacement for built in flash. This is still £129.

It would be good to hear any thoughts from Pentax users on this subject.

Regards
Bob From UK

11-20-2017, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
Lots of choices and if you want a manual flash they are dirt cheap. TTL will cost you more and of course the Pentax will cost an arm and a leg . I have found the manual flash easy to use and I shoot manual so it really is not a big deal. I have SIgma TTL flashes , Lumopro and Yongnuo manual flashes. I use a Phottix Ares trigger set to get the flash off the camera and I do have several TTL cords. A word of caution Yongnuo makes a trigger that if installed backwards on a hot shoe is impossible to remove I only know this because I have done it.
11-20-2017, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Picked up a yougnuo for $90 on amazon. It's been reliable and TTL (on camera only) for that much scratch ain't bad. Also a pair of wireless transmitters is only $30. My only complaint is the AF assist doesn't work.
11-20-2017, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 201 is nice. I have one and a 360. Pocket-sized and a bit more powerful than an on-board flash the 201 makes sense. But - it is likely not as powerful as you might want for BIF and other work. I did try it this summer in manual 1/4 power mode for insect macro vs. my Sunpak ring flash and was pleasantly surprised. In Automatic not so great, but manual was fun and charged quickly enough.

My biggest complaint with the 201 is the slow charging if in manual mode where it might want to discharge full power. It's not fast. If there were several manual power options to choose from, beyond 100 and 25%

11-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The 201 is nice. I have one and a 360. Pocket-sized and a bit more powerful than an on-board flash the 201 makes sense. But - it is likely not as powerful as you might want for BIF and other work. I did try it this summer in manual 1/4 power mode for insect macro vs. my Sunpak ring flash and was pleasantly surprised. In Automatic not so great, but manual was fun and charged quickly enough.

My biggest complaint with the 201 is the slow charging if in manual mode where it might want to discharge full power. It's not fast. If there were several manual power options to choose from, beyond 100 and 25%
Do you ever use the LED light on the 360?
11-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. Just checked round the net and ended up on Amazon as I always seem to. Your replies were useful I can see now to buy Pentax you are paying for the auto functions which makes for easier shooting. Can't believe how cheap some of the flash guns are if you go for manual. I also looked at LED lights which was tempting me towards the Pentax 360 flash but I can buy a LCD video light for £19.99, this would be great for macro.
Thanks again
11-20-2017, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FlashQ Q20 - very small and light and versatile. Not very powerful - GN20 - but the idea is to replace what's missing not bring a huge flash right? Bounce, plus the ability to remotely control multiple units. Available from the manufacturer or go to the links to B&H from here and find it there for $69 for black with one transmitter.

Must see to understand: ? LightPix Labs
(1 of 3 videos)

11-20-2017, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The Pentax AF360FGZ is a nice flash (I have three of them, they have TTL). I also have the Yongnuo YN585EX for Pentax, which is a worthy and inexpensive option that works well. The YN585EX flash has TTL capability that functions flawlessly. The shortcut to the Yongnuo at B and H is below in case you are interested.

Yn585ex Pentax | B&H Photo Video
11-20-2017, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I've got the 360. Took me awhile to get used to it, but I like it a lot now. The battery door pops loose occasionally and I think the flash gun shoe is cheaply made, but I work around them, they're fine. I use a Rogue Flashbender with my Pentax 360 and also my Canon 430 EX ll....it complements both guns flash performance. BTW, I use my Canon flash on my Canon camera and my Pentax flash on my Pentax(s)...I never mix the two.

I'd go with the 360 for your flash.
11-21-2017, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobadams Quote
Do you ever use the LED light on the 360?
I have the previous version without the LED. I do have a big LED bank light which I use indoors for close work, it's nice. It tends not to burn the image unlike a flash, and lets you meter off the light instead of having the camera meter with its algorithms.
11-21-2017, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Generally speaking, lower price = less power, fewer features, and sometimes lower quality/durability ("quality" = exposure accuracy & consistency, for example). IMHO Metz is one of the best after-market strobes. Two models worth considering:

1) The M400 has a good combination of power, features, compactness, and price,
2) The 26 AF 1 is a viable alternative to a pop-up flash. The 26 AF 2 is for FF bodies, it is otherwise identical. The 26 is more powerful than a pop-up flash, and it is tiny, operated by two AAA batteries, hardly noticeable in your camera bag.
11-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
FlashQ Q20 - very small and light and versatile. Not very powerful - GN20 - but the idea is to replace what's missing not bring a huge flash right? Bounce, plus the ability to remotely control multiple units. Available from the manufacturer or go to the links to B&H from here and find it there for $69 for black with one transmitter.

Must see to understand: ? LightPix Labs
FlashQ - Q20 Flash Review - YouTube (1 of 3 videos)
I will certainly consider this flash. Thanks

---------- Post added 11-25-17 at 12:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I have the previous version without the LED. I do have a big LED bank light which I use indoors for close work, it's nice. It tends not to burn the image unlike a flash, and lets you meter off the light instead of having the camera meter with its algorithms.
After reading on the thread I have bought an LED light for less than £10 and am looking forward to having a play.
11-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
If your using it outdoors for macro work and the like. The Shanny SN600FGZ is certainly worth a look. Its been on the market a year or two now. Is Pttl and high speed sync. which is a big advantage. Not cheap but wont break the bank either.. Never use my Pentax AF540FGZ anymore since acquiring one of these....

The Cactus Rf60x is also worth a look. If you ever think you may expand to using more than one unit outdoors..For portraits etc....

Last edited by stub; 11-25-2017 at 07:35 PM.
11-26-2017, 02:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have just bought a Pentax AF200G from Ebay and a tube of salt & vinegar Pringles from the local supermarket, total cost £20.
I am intending to use the flash with the tube to hopefully make something auto that I can use for on hand held macro with my Tamron SP90. An impulse buy as I have little knowledge of flash usage for macro, just that the onboard flash on my K-5 throws shadows. I really should learn something before getting ideas above my station.
Maybe the Pringle crisps will be nice with a beer.
11-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #15

Original Poster
Hi everyone, Thanks for all the help and information I've received from my enquiry. In my quest to find a flash I came across a flash I thought I wouldn't be able to use on my K3ii, then I was trying to find the user manual on the web with no luck. To cut a long story short, there may be some members who may be interested in this flash, as I have just found the manual and copied it for all to see.
Regards Bob
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo