Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

HSS wirelessly triggered by internal flash.

Hello,

In the AF-360FGZ official manual (pages 43,44) and in the AF-540FGZ manual (pages 46,47) it is claimed that the two Pentax flashes can be used wirelessly in HSS speeds triggered by the build-in flash as commander. I quote : 'Enable the built-in flash unit of the camera and display (WHS) on the LCD panel'. What does it mean? I do not think my K-5 can do it. Which Pentax digital cameras are capable of it?

11-22-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The manual is wrong.

The built-in flash of the K-5 cannot wirelessly trigger external flashes in HSS mode. It works for shutter speeds that do not exceed the sync-speed, but not for HSS.
It is a shame, but it's true.
11-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #3

The only way to get HSS with a Pentax camera is to use the Cactus V6ii triggers with the new Cactus Pentax update, you can then use any make of Flashgun as well.

If you don't use a Cactus Flash, you will need 2 x Trigger / Receivers ( one for the Camera ( Trigger ) and one for the Flash ( Receiver ) then just add additional receives for every flash you wish to add.

Chris
11-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Page 189 and 190 of your K-5 manual covers what to do. The 540 on camera will trigger the 360 optically

Last edited by enoeske; 11-22-2017 at 09:14 AM.
11-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
The only way to get HSS with a Pentax camera is to use the Cactus V6ii triggers with the new Cactus Pentax update, you can then use any make of Flashgun as well.

If you don't use a Cactus Flash, you will need 2 x Trigger / Receivers ( one for the Camera ( Trigger ) and one for the Flash ( Receiver ) then just add additional receives for every flash you wish to add.

Chris

Priolite strobes also does HSS up to 1/8000s but they are an expensive solution.
11-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The "Control /Master" flash on the camera has to be HSS capable as well as the Slave .... The built-in units are now not.

Check out my "Supplement" PDF from my"Pentax Flash Guide" ..... The link is in my Sig below .... This contains a large section outlining the key wireless system types available and their capabilities.
11-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chrism888 Quote
HSS is possible, on-camera, with any P-TTL flash that supports HSS, no Cactus required. Off-camera works too for P-TTL optical trigger as long as the Master/Commander supports HSS. (The slave simply follows directions once the P-TTL exposure is negotiated.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-22-2017 at 11:11 AM.
11-22-2017, 11:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, plus also there are a small number of Radio trigger systems that offer "Radio HSS" .....Cactus is understandably the most topical one at present.
11-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
HSS is possible, on-camera, with any P-TTL flash that supports HSS, no Cactus required. Off-camera works too for P-TTL optical trigger as long as the Master/Commander supports HSS. (The slave simply follows directions once the P-TTL exposure is negotiated.)

Steve
Yep. I have a very affordable Bolt VS-570-P ($110 @BH) that does this. Sometimes I have to fiddle with it to get it to work (I think it involves the sequence of turning on camera, flash, etc), but it works.
11-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Cactus is understandably the most topical one at present.
Very understandably! Their approach is a huge step forward to providing this much-requested feature with a wide range of lighting options.

Steve
11-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There's still some fine tuning to do on some of the extra features included with the Pentax X-TTL upgrade, but the core TTL plus TTL HSS works beautifully. The ease of use and control simplicity that comes with the V6II design is the key ingredient elevating this product for us at present, and is why it will remain topical.

The freedom gained from independent, accurate control over flash compensations for two TTL flashes, and all remotely from the camera position, is quite a revalation ..... The user case for manual working is reduced for a number of scenarios in my view, when Wireless TTL will from now on be so compelling.

Last edited by mcgregni; 11-22-2017 at 01:30 PM.