Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Cactus V6 & Pentax AF 500 FGZ

Using V6 (not V6ii) and Pentax AF500FGZ the learning system does not appear to work. Anyone have experience with this equipment combination?

Initially I followed the learning sequence to the letter, with a matte projection screen 1 meter from the trigger/flash. This immediately brought a "flash unsupported" error message. I moved the screen to a 1.3 meter distance, and was able to successfully start the learning sequence. However this came to an abrupt stop when I switched the flash mode to manual and set it to 1/2 power as directed. Subsequent attempts with the projection screen at different distances from the flash (.6 meter to 2 meter) all failed.

Is there anything unique about the 500FGZ that prevents it from being used with the V6 system? I am disappointed because I have three of the 500 FGZ units and was really looking forward to the enhanced control the V6 system would provide.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

---------- Post added 11-28-17 at 02:15 PM ----------

The Pentax Flash is Af 500 FTZ, not FGZ. Sorry for the error.

11-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Seems like it should work...Are you using nice fresh batteries?
11-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF500FTZ is not capable of Analog TTL only digital TTL (I think that's the reason I was given). I tried this same thing and found it will not work at all. There is not a work around. I did find some cheap Sigma Nikon flashes and I use those and they work. I can dig up my unit and give you the name/info if you want. They are cheaper than the Pentax equivalent flash.
11-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well, ca ca a doodie poo poo. All this time I thought the 500 FTZ was an analog TTL flash. Guess I'll just go back to manually setting flash output power, as I've been doing for years.

Thank you all for your helpful information.

11-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by winkler Quote
All this time I thought the 500 FTZ was an analog TTL flash.
There is a fair amount of confusion of terms and I am not sure I fully understand them all. One thing I do know is that there are claims on many Web resources that are not borne out by the flash specifications an manuals. Here is my understanding of how it sorts out (not an exhaustive list of flash models)...

Analog TTL control protocol
Uses: trigger, mode, and ready contacts
Flash Support: AFnnnT and AFnnnFGZ series
Camera support: TTL-capable film and digital cameras
Digital TTL protocol
Uses: trigger and digital contacts (possibly also ready and mode)
Flash Support: AFnnFT, AFnnnFTZ, and AFnnnFGZ series as well as AF200FG
Camera support: TTL-capable AF film and digital cameras
Digital P-TTL (preflash) protocol
Uses: trigger and digital contacts (possibly also ready and mode)
Flash support: AFnnnFGZ, AFnnnFG, and AFnnnFGZII
Camera support: P-TTL capable film and digital cameras
For sure, your AF500FTZ does not use the analog protocol, but I would be very surprised if Cactus supports my AF280T for learning.

Steve
11-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The af200T can be profiled and that profile can be used to control the af280T.

Also I forgot that I started a thread about the af500ftz/cactus a while back. Good info in there.

Af500ftz and cactus v6? - PentaxForums.com
11-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The af200T can be profiled and that profile can be used to control the af280T.
Cool! After I posted my comment, I pondered a bit whether I should change the post regarding the AF280T.

Edit: The light just came on in my head when I realized that Cactus really does mean the old analog profile that uses the "mode" contact to signal flash duration. Doh...

Steve