Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #1

looking for a wireless remote flash trigger and receiver and flash shoe mounth light

Hi everyone!
I am trying to make a twin flash bracket system for dental photography to be used with a pentax k3.
I would like to be sure which brand of Wireless remote flash trigger and receiver and a flash shoe mount Light compatible with K3.

Thank you very much for any information in advance!

12-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Cactus
12-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quite a few choices really. If you want cheap check on Ebay.

Better quality choice would be Cactus or Yongnuo. I prefer Cactus.
12-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For dental work I would think smaller flashes would be helpful. Check out the Q20 from FlashQ: NEW FlashQ Q20 (BLACK) Combo Pack ? LightPix Labs

All manual and small and they do bounce should you need to mount them oddly.

12-06-2017, 04:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not mentioned, but a caveat: wireless flash with Cactus or other equipment mentioned above will be MANUAL. SFAIK there is no radio-wireless TTL flash system available for Pentax.
12-06-2017, 06:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CJOS Quote
I am trying to make a twin flash bracket system for dental photography
Why not just buy one of the excellent ring flashes for Pentax, like the Pentax P-TTL AF-160FC or the Sigma EM-140 DG P-TTL macro ringlight? (My dentist uses a Canon ring flash that looks a lot like the Pentax version).

Or any cabled manual ring flash - from Yongnuo or a multitude of others.
12-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Not mentioned, but a caveat: wireless flash with Cactus or other equipment mentioned above will be MANUAL. SFAIK there is no radio-wireless TTL flash system available for Pentax.
I am pretty sure the Cactus v6ii with the new firmware does ttl. The units I mentioned are manual only as I stated.
A review of the new Cactus X-TTL cross platform flash trigger firmware with HSS and TTL - DIY Photography

12-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Acon wireless trigger system does P-TTL and HSS, WPresto, as does the Cactus V6 II.

Of course manual wireless triggers are cheap and commonplace.

12-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The Acon wireless trigger system does P-TTL and HSS, WPresto, as does the Cactus V6 II.

Of course manual wireless triggers are cheap and commonplace.

I have the ACON system. It has not, as yet proven itself to be reliable. Sometimes it engages properly, sometimes it does not.
12-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the ACON system. It has not, as yet proven itself to be reliable. Sometimes it engages properly, sometimes it does not.
Your experience obviously differs from mine, Wpresto - it works perfectly and I pack it in the bag in preference to the larger, more expensive Cactus V6 II - which I also own.

12-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your experience obviously differs from mine, Wpresto - it works perfectly and I pack it in the bag in preference to the larger, more expensive Cactus V6 II - which I also own.
Not sure what I may be doing amiss. last time I put it onto the K1, the system did not trigger the strobe at all (all batteries OK). I must try it again, as I fundamentally like the system - who wouldn't - but it has to work when it's needed. Perhaps I used the wrong switch-on sequence (slave trigger, master trigger, camera, strobe - - correct?).
12-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure what I may be doing amiss. last time I put it onto the K1, the system did not trigger the strobe at all (all batteries OK). I must try it again, as I fundamentally like the system - who wouldn't - but it has to work when it's needed. Perhaps I used the wrong switch-on sequence (slave trigger, master trigger, camera, strobe - - correct?).
User error on your part, I'd have to say, Wpresto.

The manual does not list the sequence you have been following.

On page one, it recommends Master, Slave, Flash, Camera.

I have three wireless P-TTL/HSS trigger systems for Pentax - Acon, Cactus and Aoketec - and it's the Acon I use most frequently for everything from pictures of people to wild birds with a Fresnel lens over the flash.
12-06-2017, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

User error on your part, I'd have to say, Wpresto.

The manual does not list the sequence you have been following.

On page one, it recommends Master, Slave, Flash, Camera.

I have three wireless P-TTL/HSS trigger systems for Pentax - Acon, Cactus and Aoketec - and it's the Acon I use most frequently for everything from pictures of people to wild birds with a Fresnel lens over the flash.
Thanks. My error
12-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. My error
No worries, Wpresto, it wouldn't have been intentional from someone distinguished like you, of course.

But we do get a lot of people's assertions about products based on their particular copy, rather than everyone else's, or their own method of use, rather than the manufacturer's way.

I note that another poster in the forum has said recently: "I've got some Cactus V6ii's, so I know I can use them to trigger HSS, but I've often found them to be a little unreliable. They don't always fire the strobes."

I've had the Cactuses only since earlier this year, and they don't trigger due to my newbie mistakes, low batteries, or I haven't clamped them down into the hotshoe correctly, etc.

I do think we should be cautious in what we write, because other people read these forums for dependable information on photography.

Last edited by clackers; 12-07-2017 at 03:30 AM.
12-06-2017, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had the Cactuses only since earlier this year, and they don't trigger due to my newbie mistakes, or I haven't clamped them down into the hotshoe correctly, etc.

I do think we should be cautious in what we write, because other people read these forums for dependable information on photography.
It is helpful to note that complex things confuse people and products that are claimed to be idiotproof rarely are even Saavy User proof.