Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Metz film era flash as a slave

I am a noob with external flashes. I have an old Metz 44 AF-3 film era flash that works great. Is it possible to set it up as a slave to fire off of the on camera or camera mounted flash? If it is possible, what is needed and what are some suggestions about making this happen? Granddaughter is coming in 10 days!

Your collective wisdom and knowledge is appreciated!

12-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not familiar with that unit. There are potentially ways to do this but I'm not sure what capabilities that flash has. If that flash has an optical trigger mode you want to look for the mode that ignores pre-flash. If it doesn't then a simple optical trigger of the type that ignores the preflash will work. However a simpler solution is to get some wireless triggers that use radio signals. The Cactus v6 or Yongnou Triggers are an option. There are various price points and costs to these approaches. If manual flash control from the camera is a path you might like then look at Cactus v6. If simple set at the flash and fire is what you want the Yougnuo stuff is very inexpensive.

Also these triggers tend to work as flash trigger isolation keeping high sync voltages from hurting your cameras - but your mileage may vary.
12-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much! The modes are TTL,M, Mlo (fires at 1/8 of full output), and SB (spot beam). there is also the ability to zoom the flash from 28 to 105. I had hoped to be able to set it up as a second unit that would fire from optically or radio another on camera flash or the on camera flash of a 5ii. does this change your ideas or suggestions? upon rereading my post and am not sure I made that clear. Thanks!
12-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are simple optical slave units that slip onto the hot shoe of any flash. They trigger the attached flash when a second flash is fired. These units are small, light and inexpensive. They typically have a tripod thread in the base. One sold under the name Dot Line costs under $20 - Wein is perhaps the top brand for such devices, basic unit about $35. Go to B&H and search "hot shoe slave trigger." I have both Dot Line and Wein units, both work fine but the Wein is more reliable when there's a lot of ambient light, for example outdoors. CAVEAT: even the Wein will not function in full bright sun.

12-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much. this is what makes this forum so great!
12-14-2017, 03:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sadly, I never get to meet the good people, the friends I've met on this forum. Perhaps it is just as well. In person, we might start talking about politics or religion, topics that fortunately and wisely are forbidden on PF.
12-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the optical trigger make sure it can ignore the pre-flash or it will trigger too soon.