Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #16

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

If you get a chance to check out the venue beforehand you will have a better idea of what you need. Don't forget the extra batteries for the camera and flash it is also a good idea to have a back up body available.

---------- Post added 12-18-17 at 11:07 AM ----------

Beautiful images

12-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
If you get a chance to check out the venue beforehand you will have a better idea of what you need. Don't forget the extra batteries for the camera and flash it is also a good idea to have a back up body available.

---------- Post added 12-18-17 at 11:07 AM ----------

Beautiful images
Absolutely yes to all of these already being in the plan but thanks for the reinforcement.
12-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just some basic words about P-TTL below in case you need them:

The P-TTL mode is accessible on the flash itself. Lets say you are Manual mode on your camera. You can then set the flash to P-TTL mode, and it will meter and flash according to the scene and your camera ISO, Shutter Speed, and F stop (aperture) settings. Most of the time the results are accurate. If you want to adjust the amount of light, you can adjust the EV setting on the camera, but it most likely will not be necessary. Viewing your histogram will tell you what results you are getting in your image lighting.

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-18-2017 at 10:46 AM.
12-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

More suggestions for weddings

I've done a few weddings although they are not my area of expertise. I too am doing another one soon for a relation and they have little money so basically they are happy with anything if it's free. My suggestions are:
  1. See if they will consider going to a professional for the off site portraits and that leaves you with just the event. If you look back to our parents or grandparents time it was common to have a studio session between the wedding and reception and that was it. Any other photographs were a bonus. That takes a lot of stress off of you because they will get a high quality portrait. While it's not free, it's a lot cheaper than having the professional spend a few days taking thousands of images and providing a whole package. That's my preferred arrangement.
  2. You really need to be mobile so leave the flash on the camera and use bounce or a diffuser where practical.
  3. It's handy to have a zoom that can cover the 18 to 100 or so range but they are often slow and have lower quality glass unless you paid a fortune for it. In my humble opinion, weddings are not a great place to show off primes despite their quality. Flexibility is the key. Select your lenses carefully as you won't get a lot of opportunities to switch them. That's why professionals have two or three camera's hanging off their bodies, so they don't have to change lenses. The back-up camera's are still in their bags.
  4. Dress well but wear something with lots of pockets.
  5. Have a chat with the priest, minister, rabbi, or whatever the person is doing the wedding. Find out if there are any times or situations where photographs are not allowed. Alternatively he or she may want to announce to the guests to not use their camera's during that time but that you will be taking photographs. That way the new couple won't feel like they are being chased by the paparazzi. Photos are nice but first and foremost they should enjoy the wedding.
Try and have fun but don't expect to. As others have said, it's a lot of work.

12-18-2017, 11:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Many good suggestions. I suggest an additional 16-50mm f2.8 zoom lens on a second camera -either for you or a second shooter. Suggest you rent additional lens and flash equipment for the formal shots, maybe a second camera. Convince the bride and groom pay this small amount for their wedding. Set up a separate area for posed shots- preferably away from the main action and use a softbox so you do not have to rely on bouncing the light or harsh light. Agree that having additional photographer and assistant is a great idea. I would use the assistant to check the group shots for details and rogue posers/elements and/or to take shots you are not, or while you are doing the groups. Also would use a good diffuser on the on-camera rig. The better, more diffused your light and avoidance of distracting light and shadows, the less photo-enhancing you will have to do, which is the biggest hassle and pain-in-the-a&&, that can take up way more time than the actual shoot..
12-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Just some basic words about P-TTL below in case you need them:

The P-TTL mode is accessible on the flash itself. Lets say you are Manual mode on your camera. You can then set the flash to P-TTL mode, and it will meter and flash according to the scene and your camera ISO, Shutter Speed, and F stop (aperture) settings. Most of the time the results are accurate. If you want to adjust the amount of light, you can adjust the EV setting on the camera, but it most likely will not be necessary. Viewing your histogram will tell you what results you are getting in your image lighting.
Thanks for the tip. I generally shoot in P mode since I like the dual wheel control. I will spend some time with a flash which it looks like I am very likely to buy/
12-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
I've done a few weddings although they are not my area of expertise. I too am doing another one soon for a relation and they have little money so basically they are happy with anything if it's free. My suggestions are:
  1. See if they will consider going to a professional for the off site portraits and that leaves you with just the event. If you look back to our parents or grandparents time it was common to have a studio session between the wedding and reception and that was it. Any other photographs were a bonus. That takes a lot of stress off of you because they will get a high quality portrait. While it's not free, it's a lot cheaper than having the professional spend a few days taking thousands of images and providing a whole package. That's my preferred arrangement.
  2. You really need to be mobile so leave the flash on the camera and use bounce or a diffuser where practical.
  3. It's handy to have a zoom that can cover the 18 to 100 or so range but they are often slow and have lower quality glass unless you paid a fortune for it. In my humble opinion, weddings are not a great place to show off primes despite their quality. Flexibility is the key. Select your lenses carefully as you won't get a lot of opportunities to switch them. That's why professionals have two or three camera's hanging off their bodies, so they don't have to change lenses. The back-up camera's are still in their bags.
  4. Dress well but wear something with lots of pockets.
  5. Have a chat with the priest, minister, rabbi, or whatever the person is doing the wedding. Find out if there are any times or situations where photographs are not allowed. Alternatively he or she may want to announce to the guests to not use their camera's during that time but that you will be taking photographs. That way the new couple won't feel like they are being chased by the paparazzi. Photos are nice but first and foremost they should enjoy the wedding.
Try and have fun but don't expect to. As others have said, it's a lot of work.
Some good ideas here. I will talk to the bride about off-site photos.

12-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shot my sons wedding last April. It was a very small, low cost event. The best advice I received was to not get too caught up in the photography, so much that I couldn't enjoy the day. I used two cameras kits, a K-5iis / DA 20-40mm and K-3 / Sigma 70mm. It worked out great.

Amateur shooting sons wedding - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

YONGNUO makes some very nice, inexpensive flash units. I have the YONGNUO VN-585 that I purchases on sale for under $60. If you're going to buy a new flash, be sure to practice a lot before you shoot the weeding. You never want to do an event with newly acquired equipment that you are not familiar with.
12-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
Many good suggestions. I suggest an additional 16-50mm f2.8 zoom lens on a second camera -either for you or a second shooter. Suggest you rent additional lens and flash equipment for the formal shots, maybe a second camera. Convince the bride and groom pay this small amount for their wedding. Set up a separate area for posed shots- preferably away from the main action and use a softbox so you do not have to rely on bouncing the light or harsh light. Agree that having additional photographer and assistant is a great idea. I would use the assistant to check the group shots for details and rogue posers/elements and/or to take shots you are not, or while you are doing the groups. Also would use a good diffuser on the on-camera rig. The better, more diffused your light and avoidance of distracting light and shadows, the less photo-enhancing you will have to do, which is the biggest hassle and pain-in-the-a&&, that can take up way more time than the actual shoot..
Some good ideas here but this is a budget wedding-that is why their uncle is doing the photography for free! I will have my wife helping me and I will be using a flash with at least some sort of diffusion. (I like the Flash Bender idea another poster had).
12-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Some good ideas here but this is a budget wedding-that is why their uncle is doing the photography for free! I will have my wife helping me and I will be using a flash with at least some sort of diffusion. (I like the Flash Bender idea another poster had).
flashbender looks good,but may not provide enough light with group shots, depending on distance,group size, and ambient light...
12-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtgmansf Quote
flashbender looks good,but may not provide enough light with group shots, depending on distance,group size, and ambient light...
I am going to stick to the couple, the B &G individually and maybe with their parents and another shot with their attendants. I am driving 8.5 hours each way, a couple nights in a motel a few meals and putting the dog in the kennel for three days.

I will make the best effort I can but I am not buying $800 of lighting gear and hauling stuff that far to do a wedding for free. I do want to have some time to enjoy the event.

I will definitely bring a flash, probably the flash bender, my 32 inch reflector and my 35/50/90 mm lenses, plus two bodies and plenty of batteries.
12-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Thanks for the tip. I generally shoot in P mode since I like the dual wheel control. I will spend some time with a flash which it looks like I am very likely to buy/
You're welcome.
12-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes that is it. I use the large version as it makes it a larger light source. But the small one will work.
12-19-2017, 06:10 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SCguy Quote
Sit down with the bride and come up with a list of shots they would like,
This is very helpful. As far as posed pictures you need a list of what the couple wants in advance. Type it up and put it in an order that makes sense, then have your wife keep the list so she can help move things along and check the off when you get each combination. Also make sure the couple includes on their list any important moments during the ceremony and reception. Every wedding is different so it will help you be prepared to get the shots they want.
12-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all the invaluable input.

I will be hopefully be able to do some prep before the wedding of scoping out the location and getting together with the couple.

I will also bring plenty of batteries, a backup body and 35/50/90mm primes for my K-70.

I have a Yongnuo YN585EX and a large and small Flash bender with the large diffusion ad-on.

Thanks again.