Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Doing a wedding- input on gear

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a cousin, young and not much money getting married in early January. They are having a minimal wedding and I have been asked to take some photos.

Yes, yes ,yes I know what everyone will tell me about it being a lot of work, stress, a bad idea, etc and you are all right. But it is family and I will do it and I have laid down a number of conditions.

One is that I am accelerating purchasing some studio/lighting gear.

My thought was a soft box, with a Yongnuo 560 with controller and a stand.

Here is what I was thinking for the Yongnuo part.

YONGNUO YN-560 III Flash Speedlite + YN560-TX Controller Wireless for Nikon DSLR 519890690340 | eBay

I was also thing of just using my Neewer remote triggers with a Yongnuo but that would give less control.

Or should use an on camera flash?

Or any other ideas?

Thanks.

12-18-2017, 12:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
as you are not a pro, it's not easy because weddings are very fast-paced, it'd be very hard to get it done alone, ask for more shooters (friends, family members with a decent camera) so at least someone will get 'the moment' captured
unless you shoot static portraits of the couple, you will find bouncing back your flash from a wall/ceiling more convenient (easier and quicker when you follow the couple)
again, find someone with experience in wedding shooting will be the best bet
12-18-2017, 12:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi.

I think if you tell us the types of photo's you intend to take at the wedding and your thoughts on the type of photo's you intend to take in the future that will help people provide advice. Also whether you are serious about single or multi off camera flashes; and/or portraits with light modifiers, hss capability, pttl exposure or happy with manual exposure.

If it's a one off event with no serious long term intent, investment in gear will likely be quite different (unless you have cash to burn).

---------- Post added 12-18-2017 at 12:43 AM ----------

Check the venue, particularly the color of the ceiling and walls. If it's not white that will probably rule out bounce flash off the ceiling.
12-18-2017, 02:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I stopped doing weddings a few years ago, but... a friend of mine talked me into doing his wedding this weekend. I’ll say I enjoyed it, but I’d forgotten how much work it really is.

Before you get into buying a lot of flash gear, what camera/lens gear do you have and intend to use?

I generally don’t shoot the ceremony with flash for several reasons: most have hired video these days and flash causes a problem, our flash units tend to cause a disruption during the ceremony. That being said, I have a Pentax AF560 FGZ with a Gary Fong plus an inexpensive slave flash if needed for fill light.

I also second having another shooter. I always bring my wife and give her one of my Back Up cameras.

Last edited by twilhelm; 12-18-2017 at 03:16 AM.
12-18-2017, 04:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The last wedding I did was in the last century but I found it much easier with an assistant.
In my case just to organise the people in the formal pictures so I could concentrate on the photography.
This of course before the era of everyone carrying a camera/phone which is good for informal shots but I think many people will be looking for best quality in the family groups.
12-18-2017, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Be sure to take along a short telephoto prime lens with a fast(ish) aperture for bokeh. It is the go-to wedding shot.

Something in the 50 to 100mm, f/1.4 to f/2.8 range will cut it.

As for lighting, a reflector will go a long way but a flash gives you more options.

12-18-2017, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From my experience of shooting over 50 weddings the last two years I would say that mobility is a huge concern with lighting. In my opinion, get a PTTL flash and a Rouge Flash Bender. Use the flash on camera with the flash bender. This will give you mobility with a much softer light source than a bare flash head. Bouncing is not always an option and manual is not always the best option when moving from place to place. I have found that pttl will provide you with very consistent results. I have found that because the flash is not pointed directly at the subject you will need to up your flash compensation. Also I have found that the large flash bender is heavy and your flash head will lower on it's own. I use gaffers tape to hold the flash head in the up position. I feel this route will give the most consistent results and allow you to remain mobile. I hope this may help you.

12-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you have not done it before, and it is a family wedding, and the expectation is not critically high, I suggest you do it and you should do it with a lot of enthusiasm. Seriously I mean it, because how else can you learn how to do it if you never take the first step?

Are you comfortable using flash? It is not easy I can tell you that.
If you want to learn to use flash, I suggest you go with the newer Pentax flash either 360 or 540 version II. Both of these flashes have the front LED light and full swivel head. It will go long way if you get used to using flash for your photography in the future.
12-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
as you are not a pro, it's not easy because weddings are very fast-paced, it'd be very hard to get it done alone, ask for more shooters (friends, family members with a decent camera) so at least someone will get 'the moment' captured
unless you shoot static portraits of the couple, you will find bouncing back your flash from a wall/ceiling more convenient (easier and quicker when you follow the couple)
I like the idea of bounce flash, I have some experience with that. Static poses are good too and my FIL will bring a camera.
Thanks.
12-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Hi.

I think if you tell us the types of photo's you intend to take at the wedding and your thoughts on the type of photo's you intend to take in the future that will help people provide advice. Also whether you are serious about single or multi off camera flashes; and/or portraits with light modifiers, hss capability, pttl exposure or happy with manual exposure.

If it's a one off event with no serious long term intent, investment in gear will likely be quite different (unless you have cash to burn).

---------- Post added 12-18-2017 at 12:43 AM ----------

Check the venue, particularly the color of the ceiling and walls. If it's not white that will probably rule out bounce flash off the ceiling.
It is a one off event but I was planning on getting gear to do some studio portraits at some point.

As for photos I will take, some static shots of the the couple. With various combinations of other people. Plus a few shots of guests, dancing, the toasts and and maybe the cake cutting.
12-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Be sure to take along a short telephoto prime lens with a fast(ish) aperture for bokeh. It is the go-to wedding shot.

Something in the 50 to 100mm, f/1.4 to f/2.8 range will cut it.

As for lighting, a reflector will go a long way but a flash gives you more options.

T
I dove a 50 1.8 and a 90 2.8- And I will shoot APS-C format with my K-70. I do have a reflector and I will have a flash.
Thanks.
12-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
From my experience of shooting over 50 weddings the last two years I would say that mobility is a huge concern with lighting. In my opinion, get a PTTL flash and a Rouge Flash Bender. Use the flash on camera with the flash bender. This will give you mobility with a much softer light source than a bare flash head. Bouncing is not always an option and manual is not always the best option when moving from place to place. I have found that pttl will provide you with very consistent results. I have found that because the flash is not pointed directly at the subject you will need to up your flash compensation. Also I have found that the large flash bender is heavy and your flash head will lower on it's own. I use gaffers tape to hold the flash head in the up position. I feel this route will give the most consistent results and allow you to remain mobile. I hope this may help you.
Thanks for the tips.

Is this what you mean?

FACTORY SECOND: Rogue FlashBender Bounce Card v1 - Flash Bender | eBay

Or this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rogue-SMALL-FlashBender-Reflector-v1-Discontinued-F...EAAOSwuzRXe-fK
12-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If you have not done it before, and it is a family wedding, and the expectation is not critically high, I suggest you do it and you should do it with a lot of enthusiasm. Seriously I mean it, because how else can you learn how to do it if you never take the first step?

Are you comfortable using flash? It is not easy I can tell you that.
If you want to learn to use flash, I suggest you go with the newer Pentax flash either 360 or 540 version II. Both of these flashes have the front LED light and full swivel head. It will go long way if you get used to using flash for your photography in the future.
I have some experience with flash but not P-TTL. I have used all manual flashes in a few different ways.

I was thinking of a Metz, Bolt or the Yongnuo YN585EX for a P-TTL flash. The Pentax are beyond my budget right now.

Thanks for the input.
12-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #14

I've shot about ten weddings, mostly simpler events, but still, it's a fast paced high stress environment. You need to know your gear front to back, know exactly what to expect. I hate to be a naysayer, but try to use as little "new" technique as possible, ie off camera flash if that's something you're learning. Personally, I use on camera flash and bounce. If you can, get to the venue beforehand and practice, practice, practice.

I'd check eBay and the classifieds for a used PTTL flash, I scored a used AF540FGZ for a little over $100.

If at all you can manage to have an assistant, they make life much easier. They can focus on a bit of hair being out of place, etc while you worry about focus, composition and exposure. Sit down with the bride and come up with a list of shots they would like, ie bride and groom with his parents, just the bride with grandparents, etc. It's very easy to forget in the heat of the moment, but a list helps tremendously.

Most of all, don't stress out too much, that'll stifle productivity and creativity. Weddings can be a fast paced blast. Have fun!

Last edited by SCguy; 12-18-2017 at 08:36 AM.
12-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Just focus on what you feel are the most important parts of the event. Shooting it yourself is not a problem. Just do what you can do. If you need a flash that is nice and works off camera along with Pentax TTL metering (PTTL), the Yongnuo YN585EX for Pentax is a great piece of equipment. It is priced at approximately 79 dollars on Amazon presently. Inexpensive triggers may do the job if you need them for now, but for real investment I would recommend Cactus brand triggers. There is nothing wrong with using on or off camera flash. Bouncing may help in some cases, but good light is good light when you are on the go. The flash P-TTL is valuable if the environment has varying light and adjustment in Manual mode (flash) is difficult to keep track of. Enjoy yourself and good luck.

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.