Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lighting gear for both portraits and product photography ,,

My wife’s family has a small manufacturing company and my BIL And FIL are willing to let me use a small part of the space on the weekends for a portrait studio.

My in-laws business have parts they would like to photograph so I am doing research on what would work for both parties. Some parts are a few inches in size and they would use a simple table top system for that, probably home made.

They do have some larger items that can go as big as about 36 inches across and 60 inches high. For these larger parts I was thinking of a couple of softboxes. That would also work for me but I am thinking they would want to use constant lighting.

Would constant lighting be the best choice for portraits or would a flash based system work better? A couple of Yongnou flashes with a controller goes-for about $150, which would be within my budget.

If constant lighting would be better for both parties then whatwould your recommend? Please keep in mind this is a small company and they are not paying thousands for a lighting set up.

If I should use a flash based system are there any softboxes that are easy to work with for both flash and constant light? Or would I be better off with my own softboxes or just getting an adapter?

Also, any other input on the number of lights, the size of softboxes or whatever would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by bladerunner6; 01-06-2018 at 07:27 AM.
01-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It comes down to what type of portraits and product photos you want. If you want sharp detail, flash is better than constant light. But constant light can be easier to work with, if you have the electricity and cooling. Use full spectrum bulbs, avoid cheap LEDs. You will probably want diffuses anyway.
01-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fwiw, I like Lume Cubes, they can be triggered by onboard flash, or through an app on phone or tablet on constant lighting mode. A softbox or diffusers are good no matter what sort of lighting you use, IMO, especially if the products are shiny
01-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Following on from robgski's post you might take a look at Manfrotto's Lumimuse 8 LED lights. (There's a promo portrait video at
). I love these little lights and am finding many uses for them ...

01-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
It comes down to what type of portraits and product photos you want. If you want sharp detail, flash is better than constant light. But constant light can be easier to work with, if you have the electricity and cooling. Use full spectrum bulbs, avoid cheap LEDs. You will probably want diffuses anyway.
You do know there's "not cheap" LED's (even if they might be relatively inexpensive, not the same as "cheap".). If the space is smallish it seems it would be the better option to avoid the problem of heat and the possible model discomfort that comes with it from constant traditional bulbs.

IMHO it is absolutely possible to put together a very effective studio using constant LED's, especially with the more recent camera's and their much improved low-light capabilities.
Here's a related PF thread where constant vs. strobe is discussed. It also includes a couple of pics showing my studio setup, I think costing less than $1500 in total at the time. I've since added a more powerful main.
Wanted: Constant lighting experiences - PentaxForums.com

I do completely agree with you that constant lighting will be a whole lot easier for inexperienced studio shooters and for the reason you offered. Far easier to see the light effects as you go, and adjust on the fly as needed. For casual non-professional users that's what I'd personally recommend but I'm certainly no experienced portrait photographer. I'm sure there's those who would disagree with me and for good reasons but I suspect many of them aren't familiar with the newer consistent color-balanced units and basing their opinion on the older LED's with unflattering color-casts and low power. Heck there's pro's out there now making a good living with even somewhat inexpensive constant LED's for lighting. They've improved immensely in the past few years. I wouldn't sell LED's short.
01-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
You do know there's "not cheap" LED's (even if they might be relatively inexpensive, not the same as "cheap".)
The "not cheap" ones are not.. cheap, and therefore can be fine. I warned specifically against cheap ones, which you can easily find online. The cheap ones seem really attractive to beginners, but they don't work out well (weak, colour cast, narrow light spectrum, too light, flimsy). But you are right, LEDs are evolving and you can find even high end LED setups. Again its important to find ones that don't have a very narrow light spectrum and produce enough light to remove other light sources/shadows.

I recently bought a Metz flash. The first copy exploded internally, but the replacement copy is working well so far. With the diffusor/reflector its quite nice. Still looking to find some PTTL triggers.. So this is part of why I didn't immediately wholeheartedly recommend Metz flash gear

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-05-2018 at 03:13 PM.
01-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've used all sorts, but at home for small studio stuff I just have a couple of 50w LED builders lights - they're not really expensive or cheap (about $100 a throw in local money), but in terms of the actual light they're pretty ok for what they are - they were the cheapest decent ones I could find, I've not found a small photo/video specific led light which I thought was really worth buying - the decent ones seem to start around the Dracast price range.

Comparing these builders lights to decent quality photo/video LED's they have limitations in that they're not as bright (they're about half as bright as an old school 500w tungsten light), they're not dimmable, not focusable, and the colour temp is fixed. But then I'm comparing to litepanels astra's, Sola's and stuff like that which I was using at work last year - those are about 20x more expensive and you can't drop them.

I don't much care about not super bright or dimmable, I can move the light closer & further away, and colour temp doesn't bother me as I can set for it. The not focusable bit is a pain in the rear occasionally (honeycombs & snoots don't work), but for a couple of hundred bucks they're far better than they have any right to be, and they work really well for static video, light tent photography and stuff like that.

01-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Two Yongnuo YN685EX flashes (they have PTTL), two white umbrellas, two light stands, and 2 flash hot shoe umbrella holders (to hold flashes and umbrellas on stands). That would be a nice base to start with that would give you results. Foam board could be used to build a container to shoot the small items in, and for larger items you could use something like a muslin fabric, which you can buy at the Wal-Mart Fabric Dept. Later you could maybe get some Cactus V5 transceivers (radio triggers) to fire your flashes instead of using the infrared method. A shortcut to some flash hot shoe umbrella holders is below in case you are interested (mount D is the type I use).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0034WR19Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?tag=pentaxforums-2...der&th=1&psc=1
01-06-2018, 06:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried a constant lighting setup and was disappointed, granted it was cheap.

I agree with Brooke and i don't think you'll be disappointed in the Yongnuo setup and price. I knew nothing about off camera lighting and started with three YN560s and a YN560TX controller. The Nikon version of the controller works with Pentax. I've since added 4 more YN560s and another controller. The YN560 IV speedlight has a controller built in, so you can use a YN560IV on your camera as a controller if you do not want to purchase the YN560TX dedicated controller. I prefer the dedicated controller as yet I have not shot with on camera flash. Two controllers allow for two different camera/lens setup during events. I've done a few dances where they wanted portraits with a backdrop setup. I offered to also take some pictures of the dance, mostly because i wanted the experience with lighting setup. I set up three or four of these in the dance area and one camera/lens/controller for the dance and the other camera/lens/controller for the portraits. During breaks in the dance folks would line up for portraits and it was good to be setup for that since the breaks were short and folks didn't have to wait. The folks i did the pictures for were very happy with the combination of portraits and candid dance shots and have asked me back for more. For me the Yongnuo setup is a gem, but just my opinion.

I mainly went with the Yongnuos because of price and I wasn't sure if off camera lighting would be my cup of tea. I've since learned there is some much flexibility and things you can do using off camera lighting with manual speedlights -- it definitely has me hooked. It just adds another series of things to life I want to try out in all the spare time i can't seem to find.

Make make sure and get a good set of high capacity rechargeables and good chargers and possibly a battery pack for your flashes -- that is another topic in itself. I did the amazon high capacities AA's as the price point is good. Altura Rapid Fire Pro battery packs (no longer available on Amazon), but similar to Neewer External Flash Battery Pack CP-E4. For charger i did the OPUS BT-C700. In the end though I think it may have been better to have gone with something like the Godox PB960. The initial price for one Godox battery pack would hurt, but if i add up the cost I've spent in high capacity AA's and the battery packs i think i could have gotten a few of the Godox PB960's and had plenty of power to supply multiple flashes on one light stand. just something to consider.

One good thing is that you don't have to worry with how quickly your shots are done since your subjects are inanimate, or at least I think so, so you have time to experiment and learn what setups work best.

{edited to clarify link}
Maybe you are beyond this, but thought i would throw a link to this resource in -- strobist.blogspot.org

I am no off camera flash expert for sure and i frequently look back to this resource to refresh myself. I like his style of presenting the material and he gives plenty of examples. I'm pretty sure there are some examples of product lighting. I know he has a page with a ton of DIY links, and pretty sure there is one for building a light tent. If anything looking through his stuff gives some good ideas of things to try out.

good luck!

Last edited by rtmarwitz; 01-06-2018 at 06:18 AM. Reason: clarifying the link
01-06-2018, 06:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Fwiw, I like Lume Cubes, they can be triggered by onboard flash, or through an app on phone or tablet on constant lighting mode. A softbox or diffusers are good no matter what sort of lighting you use, IMO, especially if the products are shiny
Thanks for the ideas.

If I may, how do you integrate Lume Cubes with softboxes?

Thanks.
01-06-2018, 06:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Following on from robgski's post you might take a look at Manfrotto's Lumimuse 8 LED lights. (There's a promo portrait video at ). I love these little lights and am finding many uses for them ...
I can see where these are incredibly useful for location work but I am wondering how they could be applied for product photography, especially for one person working alone.

Also, I would be doing my portraits if alone so I am thinking how do I mount them, diffuse, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
01-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I like the idea of using a flash based system for myself but for the product photography they will probably want constant lighting. It will be just one person working on that and it is a small business so fast workflow matters.

Any good recommendations for some softboxes that can use both continuous lighting and flash or should I just get an adapter like this?

Godox S-Type Speedlite Bracket for Bowens S B&H Photo Video

Thanks.
01-06-2018, 08:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Most softboxes use the Bowen mount, it is just a matter of checking the softbox specs before buying, so that is a good choice for a flash/softbox mount (the one you mentioned). In some cases the mount is included with the softbox.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-06-2018 at 08:31 AM.
01-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input. I have gotten a lot of good ideas and a lot to think about.
01-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Thanks for mentioning the Lube Cubes as it got me looking at small highly portable but bright LED lights. I have a kinda inexpensive open-box Manfrotto Lumimuse 8 on the way to me. Think it may find a place tossed in the backpack on some of my hikes. Might even be a serviceable substitute for a Vello flash-cabled AF-360 for some outdoor portrait stuff. Maybe. I like that it's round and perhaps renders a decent catchlight. Losing the cord would be nice and would offer some additional options if it's got the power.

The OP might see if it works for his product shots. The Aputure AL-M9 Amaran may be another option and it's quite a bit cheaper too, $40-45.

BUUUT...

If you're going to be some studio portrait work too I'd maybe consider Brooke's advice and keep it simple with two effective speed lights. He's given me valuable advice in the past and knows about what he posts. I'm still in diapers and feeling my way.
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I swore I was done here but the teacher in me can't stand it. Get the 2 speed lights and controller. You can light damn near anything with those. Forget softboxes, a couple of convertible umbrellas, umbrella brackets some pieces of white foam board will do. You'll need a few light stands.

Portraits: One speedlight in a shoot thru or bounce umbrella, white foam board diagonally opposite, maybe a piece of foam board underneath chin for fill and your second speed light flagged with foam board on background or bare/snooted as hair /rim light. Get $3 foam head to practice, get fluent with your lighting. Camera on tripod if possible.

Products: It ain't moving, camera on tripod, any shutter speed you need. Bounce off overhead with flagged flash (look up black foamie thing) and /or shoot thru /reflective umbrella. Use foam board reflectors as needed.
In the US, Buff Umbrellas & diffusers are good quality and price.

Did 8 headshots day after Christmas with two very old Photoflex convertible umbrellas , YN560IIIs, white foam board and a bare speedlight behind for rim. Moms were very happy and I got paid.

This isn't rocket surgery but you do need to invest some time to learn and understand the principles of light. Buying stuff is not a silver bullet.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-09-2018 at 04:18 AM.