Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have asked for input on three different websites, called one vendor and asked a couple of questions of another two. Plenty of different answers.

For the product photography aspect of it, for smaller parts it will probably be a homemade light tent. That has been a given from the start.

For the larger products and the portrait work, lots of ideas of been tossed around. One other thing to mention and this is pretty minor is the factory has Canon and I have Pentax. In any case, I am leaning toward something like this set up:

Two Flashpoint 1220M 600W AC/DC Monolights,currently on sale for $200 each.

A pair of these transceivers.

A couple of these 24 X 36 soft boxes, although I can go bigger for not much more money. And they give you a few bucks off for buying them with the lights.

One each of these speed rings for each light.

And a couple of homemade light stands or a a couple of Westcott/Manfrotto/Promaster light stands from the local camera store for $40-$60 each.

Like I said, this is just a system I am leaning towards. Lots of different opinions here and elsewhere but this is something I feel they might be able to handle for the business.

I am open to feedback, that is why I came here.

Thanks.

01-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Thanks for mentioning the Lube Cubes as it got me looking at small highly portable but bright LED lights. I have a kinda inexpensive open-box Manfrotto Lumimuse 8 on the way to me. Think it may find a place tossed in the backpack on some of my hikes. Might even be a serviceable substitute for a Vello flash-cabled AF-360 for some outdoor portrait stuff. Maybe. I like that it's round and perhaps renders a decent catchlight. Losing the cord would be nice and would offer some additional options if it's got the power.

The OP might see if it works for his product shots. The Aputure AL-M9 Amaran may be another option and it's quite a bit cheaper too, $40-45.

BUUUT...

If you're going to be some studio portrait work too I'd maybe consider Brooke's advice and keep it simple with two effective speed lights. He's given me valuable advice in the past and knows about what he posts. I'm still in diapers and feeling my way.
I appreciate his advice, but you only mention the portrait work (which is just a hobby for me) and not the product work that will be done at the factory. What do you think about his recommendation in that context?

Thanks.
01-10-2018, 04:36 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I appreciate his advice, but you only mention the portrait work (which is just a hobby for me) and not the product work that will be done at the factory. What do you think about his recommendation in that context?

Thanks.
If you're using a tabletop shooting tent constant LED would be my personal choice. Far less trouble for a simple repetitive shooting scenario and easier to see and deal with the shadows when positioning the product. You could put that whole thing together for under a $100 including the lights.

OH, btw...
If you're going to spend $ on softboxes for portraits I would suggest you buy at least one larger than what you are planning. The light will be softer and offer better coverage. One light will be all you need in many (maybe most) cases if the softbox is large enough, particularly if you have a large reflector around. Products of course need a different lighting than a face, and a second light is perhaps necessary for those.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-10-2018 at 04:48 AM.
01-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RainMan Quote
Jumping in late to the discussion, if I've been able to sort all of this out correctly, based on your need to get paid for your product shots, with the capability to utilize the gear as much as possible to accomplish portraits as your potential "side hustle", from what you've sorted out in your list, you really can't go wrong.

Hundreds of ways to go, but I think your doing your best to operate on a well spent cost, for ventures that are new to you. The lights (model light feature will help for both product and portrait shooting), give you the option for off site, cordless DC power shooting (when you can afford bat-packs) the transceivers give you triggering capability (you'll need a third if you do not already have one should you need to fire both lights for the same shot), light stands are sturdy enough, and the speed rings look as though they will adapt fine.

As may have been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, foam core boards both black and white will be useful for both categories, only thing I would suggest would be to cut them in half (short width), and then tape them back together so they become hinged. I cannot count the number of times I've used the white one to angle in just a small piece of fill light on something, or, angled to kill off some light with the black one. If you need them back to rigid, two steel 4" paper binder clamps at each boards hinged edge does the job. Like so many here have commented, many ways to go to work, some of which you will define for yourself after you have begun sorting out how these tools will best meet the goals of your product client, and, how these tools will help you to explore your portraiture endeavors. Great kit, tons of great possibilities.

Cheers,

RM-
Thanks for the input.

To clarify: the equipment is going to be used by two sets of people: a for profit business will use it for product photography and I will be using it as a hobbyist for portrait work. (Although I could conceivably generate revenue from it but that is iffy).

You may want to go back and read my original post, it talks about what we are planning there.

Thanks.

01-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
If you're using a tabletop shooting tent constant LED would be my personal choice. Far less trouble for a simple repetitive shooting scenario and easier to see and deal with the shadows when positioning the product. You could put that whole thing together for under a $100 including the lights.

OH, btw...
If you're going to spend $ on softboxes for portraits I would suggest you buy at least one larger than what you are planning. The light will be softer and offer better coverage. One light will be all you need in many (maybe most) cases if the softbox is large enough, particularly if you have a large reflector around. Products of course need a different lighting than a face, and a second light is perhaps necessary for those.
Thanks for the input, we were already planning on a table top set up for the smaller items.

Adding a larger softbox for portrait work woul be reasonable, how big?

Thanks.
01-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I swore I was done here but the teacher in me can't stand it.
Lucky for me. And I'm sure many others.

Your posts are concise and informative.

Quite by accident, I've been following Deckard 'round the net because he's been asking many of the questions I needed to ask.

I will end up with a K-5 or similar used body, one or two lenses, stands, umbrellas, a diy voile tent or scrims, a BFT, some foamboard reflectors, and a 560TX + 560iii's as a starting point for improved product images. Flexible enough to branch out if my photos are good.

I'm new to photography, so threads and posts like these are invaluable.

Thx.
01-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
My wife’s family has a small manufacturing company and my BIL And FIL are willing to let me use a small part of the space on the weekends for a portrait studio.

My in-laws business have parts they would like to photograph so I am doing research on what would work for both parties. Some parts are a few inches in size and they would use a simple table top system for that, probably home made.

They do have some larger items that can go as big as about 36 inches across and 60 inches high. For these larger parts I was thinking of a couple of softboxes. That would also work for me but I am thinking they would want to use constant lighting.

Would constant lighting be the best choice for portraits or would a flash based system work better? A couple of Yongnou flashes with a controller goes-for about $150, which would be within my budget.

If constant lighting would be better for both parties then whatwould your recommend? Please keep in mind this is a small company and they are not paying thousands for a lighting set up.

If I should use a flash based system are there any softboxes that are easy to work with for both flash and constant light? Or would I be better off with my own softboxes or just getting an adapter?

Also, any other input on the number of lights, the size of softboxes or whatever would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I would go for a set of studio lights. Even inexpensive ones will be better than battery operated shoe mount flash units.
Years ago when I was doing product photography, I bought a smallish camping tent at a local Wal-Mart at the end of season when they had them on even cheaper than usual. It provided the raw material for an excellent light tent for product photography.
Regarding lights, you will want at least two heads, three is better, four is better still for portraiture, but for your product work, two is sufficient if you are using a tent.