Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash for K1..for birding

Hi what is a good flash to use on K1 + 300mm/150-450mm for fill in light for birds/BIF at close distances. I will use an extender of some sort.
Thanks

01-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As just a small bit of advocacy for the birds, I would suggest subjecting yourself to the flash at similar distance and imagine you were on final approach to a perch. I did a bit of experimentation a few years back using electronic flash to discourage a cock robin (American Robin) that was intent on attacking his reflection in my windows. Full blast at GN 60 was enough to make the bird go to ground, too unsteady to fly.

I was unsuccessful at my attempts at negative reinforcement, but took note to be aware of the effect should I ever desire to photograph birds on approach to a feeder or nectar station.

Steve
01-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As just a small bit of advocacy for the birds, I would suggest subjecting yourself to the flash at similar distance and imagine you were on final approach to a perch. I did a bit of experimentation a few years back using electronic flash to discourage a cock robin (American Robin) that was intent on attacking his reflection in my windows. Full blast at GN 60 was enough to make the bird go to ground, too unsteady to fly.

I was unsuccessful at my attempts at negative reinforcement, but took note to be aware of the effect should I ever desire to photograph birds on approach to a feeder or nectar station.

Steve
I do not want to harm the birds..diffuse extender may not be as hard as 'raw' flash?? ..just so dark the next months here..normally never use flash but want to experiment. also have LED lights but not waterproof for outdoor use...ISO 12.000 gets me in focus shots..but details lacking
01-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The beamer accessory won't soften the light, it concentrates and extends the range of the flash. However, if you're mixing flash and ambient lighting and using power levels suitable for fill, then I think your flash is unlikely to bother the birds. The duration is likely to be very short, unless you're planning on shooting at low ISOs and full power.

I'd advise ISOs around 800-1600 or so in dull light. This should allow plenty of ambient to record plus an aperture stopped down a bit to help with focussing and depth. Use M mode to fix your shutter at 1/180th and a good aperture (eg f8).

In bright conditions you might run up against the speed buffers even at ISO 100. But generally as I understand it most bird shots are not in bright open situations.

01-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The beamer accessory won't soften the light, it concentrates and extends the range of the flash. However, if you're mixing flash and ambient lighting and using power levels suitable for fill, then I think your flash is unlikely to bother the birds. The duration is likely to be very short, unless you're planning on shooting at low ISOs and full power.

I'd advise ISOs around 800-1600 or so in dull light. This should allow plenty of ambient to record plus an aperture stopped down a bit to help with focussing and depth. Use M mode to fix your shutter at 1/180th and a good aperture (eg f8).

In bright conditions you might run up against the speed buffers even at ISO 100. But generally as I understand it most bird shots are not in bright open situations.
Ok thanks is this flash any good? Yongnuo YN-560 IV Flash Speedlite for Pentax Olympus Canon Nikon Pentax as very cheap price
01-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Ok thanks is this flash any good? Yongnuo YN-560 IV Flash Speedlite for Pentax Olympus Canon Nikon Pentax as very cheap price
I own the YN-560 III and have been pleased with its performance. The YN-560 IV adds the features found in Yongnuo's higher-end RF triggers and is a great value at its price point.

Steve
01-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It's a Manual mode flash. I personally believe that automatic P-TTL mode is more suited to on-camera flash work. However if the situation is fairly static, in constant lighting and without many distance or setting changes, then manual mode may be ok. Most people would buy that Yongnuo flash for off-camera radio triggered work. Yongnuo do have a P-TTL flash at a very good price, and it has been well received and rated by people here generally.

01-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nocturnal birds such as owls are much more sensitive to light levels than daytime birds. As such, they can be blinded by flashguns. Even temporary blinding puts them at risk of being predated so please do not use flash with light-sensitive birds.
01-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Nocturnal birds such as owls are much more sensitive to light levels than daytime birds. As such, they can be blinded by flashguns. Even temporary blinding puts them at risk of being predated so please do not use flash with light-sensitive birds.
would never think of it..my whole philosophy on nature photos is NOt to disturb in ayway..its only in the dark winter months some fill in light could be good

---------- Post added 01-17-18 at 08:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
It's a Manual mode flash. I personally believe that automatic P-TTL mode is more suited to on-camera flash work. However if the situation is fairly static, in constant lighting and without many distance or setting changes, then manual mode may be ok. Most people would buy that Yongnuo flash for off-camera radio triggered work. Yongnuo do have a P-TTL flash at a very good price, and it has been well received and rated by people here generally.
I have an old Olympus FL36 flash that works on K1,K5II ..but not sure if it will damage the camera?? only manual mode works of course
01-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ok thanks is this flash any good?
I use a RF60 with better beamer, no problem for the birds, but I don't like to shoot after sunset even if the flash can deliver enough light. The way I use the flash on wildlife is to reduce shadow and add a bit of sharpness while using 1/180 shutter speed for the background, which is seldom sufficient when the subject is moving. The flash adds a bit of sharpness because the flash pulse duration is very short and it is actually a shorter pulse at lower power. I usually test the camera settings with flash power so its illumination count for about 50% of the ambient lighting on a dummy subject immediately after setting the camera on tripod / gimbal.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-17-2018 at 01:46 PM.
01-17-2018, 02:40 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use a Better Beamer with the 540FGZ, Shanti. That's an HSS flash unlike the Yongnuo you're thinking about, so as per wildlife the shutter speed can be greater than 1/180s.
01-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I use a Better Beamer with the 540FGZ, Shanti. That's an HSS flash unlike the Yongnuo you're thinking about, so as per wildlife the shutter speed can be greater than 1/180s.
Hi who makes that one? what is max shutter speed?
01-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is somewhat of a question combined with an observation. Awhile back, I was using an on camera flash with a feeder about 12 feet away, and the birds as captured in the picture were often flying off, which at first didn't seem to make sense - they were fully engaged with their heads in the feeder when I pushed the shutter release. So with this observation, the question is with P-TTL, does the pre-flash that is done for metering scare the birds off?

And for the record, obviously don't want to hurt or scare the critters. I haven't used a flash with birds for quite some time, but have wondered if there's a good way to do it.
01-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi who makes that one? what is max shutter speed?
Pentax. Shoot 1/6000s if you like.
01-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
This is somewhat of a question combined with an observation. Awhile back, I was using an on camera flash with a feeder about 12 feet away, and the birds as captured in the picture were often flying off, which at first didn't seem to make sense - they were fully engaged with their heads in the feeder when I pushed the shutter release. So with this observation, the question is with P-TTL, does the pre-flash that is done for metering scare the birds off?

And for the record, obviously don't want to hurt or scare the critters. I haven't used a flash with birds for quite some time, but have wondered if there's a good way to do it.
I could think so,if I make a small movement,they are gone (some of them,sparrows don't care so much,Finches are more sensitive)
BUt flying is good as wing patterns are so fantastic