Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

How to open an AF-330ftz flashgun

I stored my old AF-330tgz flashgun with the batteries still in it

I cleaned up the resulting mess from the battery compartment, but I suspect some of the stuff has gotten inside the unit.

Does anyone know how to open it up without wrecking it? I can find two tiny screws at the base, but with these removed I still cannot open it without resorting to brute force...

09-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
After taking out all the screws I could find (just 2 at the base) I took a deep breath and a large screwdriver and forced the housing open.

It turned out nothing of the gunk had gotten inside the electronics. However, the battery contact points consist of four small retractable metal pans (domes?) which are pushed against the battery by four springs mounted on a small pcb. Salt had crystallized on the springs, breaking the contact with the metal pans.

After cleaning the stuff off, the flashgun works again.

This flashgun has an automatic zoom reflector. It even corrects for the 1.5 digital focal length correction. When the lens is at 18 mm, the reflector zooms for 28 mm, lens 35mm gives 50 mm zoom on the flashgun. Nice!

But P-DDL does not work with the k200d, so on auto everything is overexposed